Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array


dlandon

6074 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, steve1977 said:

I've been using the plugin and it works very well.

 

I have 6 disks connected as UD. 3 NVME and 1 internal disk connect well and can be mounted.


I'd also like to connect one disk via USB. Unfortunately, this does not work and the "mount" button is greyed out. It used to work before, but stopped some days ago. I connected the disk to a notebook to eliminate a disk error. The notebook can identify the disk in the USB enclosure without problem.

 

Below info from the disk log information:

 

Feb 14 16:04:26 Tower kernel: sd 12:0:0:0: [sdt] Very big device. Trying to use READ CAPACITY(16).
Feb 14 16:04:26 Tower kernel: sd 12:0:0:0: [sdt] 11721045168 512-byte logical blocks: (6.00 TB/5.46 TiB)
Feb 14 16:04:26 Tower kernel: sd 12:0:0:0: [sdt] 4096-byte physical blocks
Feb 14 16:04:26 Tower kernel: sd 12:0:0:0: [sdt] Write Protect is off
Feb 14 16:04:26 Tower kernel: sd 12:0:0:0: [sdt] Mode Sense: 47 00 00 08
Feb 14 16:04:26 Tower kernel: sd 12:0:0:0: [sdt] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
Feb 14 16:04:26 Tower kernel: sdt: sdt1
Feb 14 16:04:26 Tower kernel: sd 12:0:0:0: [sdt] Attached SCSI disk
Feb 14 16:36:21 Tower unassigned.devices: Error: shell_exec(/usr/sbin/hdparm -C /dev/sdt 2>/dev/null | /bin/grep -c standby) took longer than 10s!
Feb 14 16:36:21 Tower unassigned.devices: Error: shell_exec(/usr/sbin/hdparm -C /dev/sdt 2>/dev/null | /bin/grep -c standby) took longer than 10s!

 

 

Any help appreciated!

The diagnostics you gave me only go through Feb 12th.  The log snippet you posted was for Feb 14th.  Please update the diagnostics to cover Feb 14th and post those.

Link to post
  • Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

New release of UD.  Changes: When changing the mount point (which is also the share name), the mount point is checked for a duplicate of a user share or another UD device.  Samba cannot handle

Major new release of UD: "Where are the switches?"  The "Pass Through", "Read Only", "Automount", and "Share" switches have been moved to a new Edit Settings dialog.  This is also where the sc

While I appreciate your interest in esthetics, there is more to consider than just 'aligning' disk drive mounts: This disk is mounted without a UD script, it is probably better to put it in th

Posted Images

11 hours ago, steve1977 said:

I've been using the plugin and it works very well.

 

I have 6 disks connected as UD. 3 NVME and 1 internal disk connect well and can be mounted.


I'd also like to connect one disk via USB. Unfortunately, this does not work and the "mount" button is greyed out. It used to work before, but stopped some days ago. I connected the disk to a notebook to eliminate a disk error. The notebook can identify the disk in the USB enclosure without problem.

 

Below info from the disk log information:

 

Feb 14 16:04:26 Tower kernel: sd 12:0:0:0: [sdt] Very big device. Trying to use READ CAPACITY(16).
Feb 14 16:04:26 Tower kernel: sd 12:0:0:0: [sdt] 11721045168 512-byte logical blocks: (6.00 TB/5.46 TiB)
Feb 14 16:04:26 Tower kernel: sd 12:0:0:0: [sdt] 4096-byte physical blocks
Feb 14 16:04:26 Tower kernel: sd 12:0:0:0: [sdt] Write Protect is off
Feb 14 16:04:26 Tower kernel: sd 12:0:0:0: [sdt] Mode Sense: 47 00 00 08
Feb 14 16:04:26 Tower kernel: sd 12:0:0:0: [sdt] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
Feb 14 16:04:26 Tower kernel: sdt: sdt1
Feb 14 16:04:26 Tower kernel: sd 12:0:0:0: [sdt] Attached SCSI disk
Feb 14 16:36:21 Tower unassigned.devices: Error: shell_exec(/usr/sbin/hdparm -C /dev/sdt 2>/dev/null | /bin/grep -c standby) took longer than 10s!
Feb 14 16:36:21 Tower unassigned.devices: Error: shell_exec(/usr/sbin/hdparm -C /dev/sdt 2>/dev/null | /bin/grep -c standby) took longer than 10s!

 

 

Any help appreciated!

I just looked through the diagnostics and it appears you have assigned USB disks to the array.  If that's true, that's not a good idea.  I suspect you are also using external drive bays.  That might also be a problem.

Link to post
55 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Delete the /flash/config/plugins/unassigned.disks/unassigned.devices.cfg file, then click on the 'Refresh Disks and Configuration" icon (double arrows in the upper right) and see if it doesn't clear up the automount.

That seems to have sorted it. Hopefully this will resolve the issue of the ext drives not unmounting when they should; time will tell over the over the next couple of weeks when I do the backup disk swap out.  Thanks for your assistance and persistence 🙂

Link to post
49 minutes ago, steve1977 said:

Sorry for that. Issue is with "sdt" (unassigned disk connected via USB). It used to work very well, but now stopped for some days.

tower-diagnostics-20210215-0806.zip 256.28 kB · 1 download

 

The sdt disk is marked as pass through.  UD will not mount a passed through disk.

Feb 14 16:04:26 Tower kernel: sd 12:0:0:0: [sdt] Attached SCSI disk
Feb 14 16:04:27 Tower unassigned.devices: Disk with serial 'nal_USB_3.0_2015033100081', mountpoint 'TO_Exter_nal_USB_3.0' is set as pass through.
Feb 14 16:36:21 Tower unassigned.devices: Error: shell_exec(/usr/sbin/hdparm -C /dev/sdt 2>/dev/null | /bin/grep -c standby) took longer than 10s!

 

The timeout error is UD trying to get the disk standby status.  That's probably a USB cable or port issue, or an issue if the disk is in an external bay.

Link to post
3 minutes ago, steve1977 said:

Anything I can do? How can I change it not to be passthrough? And any way to avoid the timeout?

Click on the settings icon (three gears) and turn off the "Pass through" switch.

 

As for the time out, try another USB port, change the USB cable.

Link to post

Hi, I'm just setting up my first array and VM's planning to migrate data from my old pre-Unraid disks. In this thread in another topic, I was advised to passthrough all three 3 TB drives in an Intel RST RAID 5 set, but as shown below, only one of the there (marked in green) has the gears while the other two drives in the set (marked in red) do not:

image.thumb.png.e13f2665f95aa1f8abfbe328855fc42d.png

 

How do I pass them through?

 

Addendum: Sorry, just as I sent this I got a reply in the other thread:

Quote

Those drives without the icon aren't being intercepted by UD, so those can be passed through normally without changing any settings.

 

I was under the impression that "normally" as of the 6.9 UI is via the gears? The passthrough switches have gone away, including for the lines without gears, as you can see in the screenshot.

 

I wonder what's the difference between Dev 2 (with the gears) and Devs 3/4 (without), anyway?

Edited by TreyH
Adding new material
Link to post
21 minutes ago, TreyH said:

 

I wonder what's the difference between Dev 2 (with the gears) and Devs 3/4 (without), anyway?

Disks without a file system will not show the settings icon (three gears) as the settings there do not apply.

Link to post
On 12/5/2020 at 5:23 PM, dlandon said:

The latest version of UD maps the remote shares to /mnt/remotes/.  You are encouraged to change your Docker Container and VM mappings to the new mount point.

 

If you can't do that, go the UD settings and set 'Legacy Mount Point Compatibility?' to 'Yes'.  Then unmount and re-mount the remote shares.  There will be symlinks created at /mnt/disks/ to the remote shares mounted at /mnt/remotes/.  You won't have to change any Docker Container or VM mappings.

 

Hi 

 

So I read that UD mounts to mnt/remotes but mine do not. I have tried the Leagacy mode and it did not help. I have tried to remove the UD and UD plus and made a reboot and install them again, but still the when I mount the disks (partitions) get under mnt/disks/.....

The problem is that my Home Assistant Vm reports Ext4 errors and goes in emergency mode and my Shinobi docker won´t work (I have my CCTV recording mapped to an UD disk) 

I understand that some other have had this problem aswell but did not manage to resolve it. 

If I look under my HA VM I see a remotes path but its eamty. 

 

I do have a disks path with my stuff but it don´t work as stated above. 

How can I resolve this? Thanks in advance. 

 

 

Link to post
28 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Disks without a file system will not show the settings icon (three gears) as the settings there do not apply.

How do you pass those through to a VM, then?

 

(Would I have been unable to do the same thing to /dev/sde, if I hadn't clicked the settings and switched on passthrough on the disk that did have settings?)

 

I'm not sure why it thinks this disk and only this disk has a filesystem whose type is "isw_raid_member", when it's actually an NTFS filesystem striped across two other disks as well:

root@NAS:~# lsblk -fM
NAME   FSTYPE        FSVER 
[...]
sdb    isw_raid_memb 1.3.00
sde    isw_raid_memb 1.3.00
└─sde1 isw_raid_memb 1.3.00
sdf    isw_raid_memb 1.3.00
[...]

 

 

Link to post
43 minutes ago, Micro553 said:

So I read that UD mounts to mnt/remotes

Remote shares, not physical disks.  Legacy mode maps these to /mnt/disks.

 

Physical disks mount to /mnt/disks/.

45 minutes ago, Micro553 said:

I do have a disks path with my stuff but it don´t work as stated above. 

What doesn't work?

Link to post
11 minutes ago, TreyH said:

How do you pass those through to a VM, then?

 

(Would I have been unable to do the same thing to /dev/sde, if I hadn't clicked the settings and switched on passthrough on the disk that did have settings?)

The UD pass through setting is more of a convenience than a requirement.  You can pass through a disk any time without the 'Pass Through' switch being on.  With it on though, UD will not allow mounting of the disk.  If UD mounts a passed through disk, the file system will be corrupted.

Link to post
On 2/8/2021 at 9:11 PM, itimpi said:

It is interesting that fdisk does not show any of the partitions as being a FAT type.  Maybe you would have better luck if you used Windows to delete the existing partitions and then created a new FAT/FAT32 one and formatted the drive on Windows?

 

It was formatted by xbox 360 game console thus the partition table might have some special thing in it. 

Windows can read write the fat32 partition just fine, fdisk might have got confused with those 

Link to post
9 hours ago, dlandon said:

Remote shares, not physical disks.  Legacy mode maps these to /mnt/disks.

 

Physical disks mount to /mnt/disks/.

What doesn't work?

I have 2 disks with 3 partitions and 3 Shares 

 

CCTV - one disk

 

VM and Lagring - 2 partitions on 1 disk

 

When UD mounts the disks the shares are in mnt/disks/VM etc..... This gives the following error see pic. 

 

I´m desperate as my Shinobi docker don´t work and my HA VM don´t work. 

 

You said that the best thing is to map to /remotes instead of /disks in VM and docker but I can´t as remotes is empty. 

HA VM error.PNG

Remotes are empty.PNG

UD disks.PNG

UD mountpoint without Leagacy Mode.PNG

Link to post
4 hours ago, Micro553 said:

When UD mounts the disks the shares are in mnt/disks/VM etc..... This gives the following error see pic. 

That looks like a disk problem.

 

4 hours ago, Micro553 said:

You said that the best thing is to map to /remotes instead of /disks in VM and docker but I can´t as remotes is empty. 

You have physical disks.  They will mount to /mnt/disks/, not /mnt/remotes/ regardless of the legacy setting.  I've said this before - please read this carefully.

Link to post

Hi,

 

I am trying to mount a Windows 10 share on both my unraid servers but although the share adds successfully they wont mount?  I just get mounting for a few seconds and then back to mount again, there is nothing in the log.

 

1, unraid1 & unraid2 users have been added to my Windows 10 machine with full access.

2, I have shared a drive and a folder with full access to each share

3, when I add the share I am clicking "load shares" and the shares are shown, I select either one and get the same mounting/mount scenario mentioned above.

4, this happens on both of my unraid servers running on Version: 6.9.0-rc2 

5, I am able to access these newly created shares on other Windows machines on my network.

6, I have installed unassigned devices & unassigned devices plus installed.

 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

 

 

Link to post
2 hours ago, mbc0 said:

Hi,

 

I am trying to mount a Windows 10 share on both my unraid servers but although the share adds successfully they wont mount?  I just get mounting for a few seconds and then back to mount again, there is nothing in the log.

 

1, unraid1 & unraid2 users have been added to my Windows 10 machine with full access.

2, I have shared a drive and a folder with full access to each share

3, when I add the share I am clicking "load shares" and the shares are shown, I select either one and get the same mounting/mount scenario mentioned above.

4, this happens on both of my unraid servers running on Version: 6.9.0-rc2 

5, I am able to access these newly created shares on other Windows machines on my network.

6, I have installed unassigned devices & unassigned devices plus installed.

 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

 

 

Post diagnostics.

Link to post

Not sure if it is related or not but I also have difficulty with some mountpoints between my 2 unraid servers.

 

They work for a couple of hours and then go stale.

 

I have 2 unraid servers both running Version: 6.9.0-rc2 and SMB shares between them go stale daily,  is this a known problem or is there any better way of sharing files between servers?

 

image.png.62fbac1a5d45c72ae0e5731adabe778d.png

 

image.png.805280a9621c3237fe79a00f23306d3f.png

Link to post

Is one or the other server sleeping or resetting?  I have multiple mounts on each server referencing the other, and that only happens if I restart one or the other.

Link to post
18 minutes ago, Squid said:

Is one or the other server sleeping or resetting?  I have multiple mounts on each server referencing the other, and that only happens if I restart one or the other.

Hi,

 

Both servers are on 24/7 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.