Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

Hi

I think I know the answer to this question but I'm a noob at this and just wanted to make sure.

I have an encrypted LUKS disc in a USB enclosure that I created with OMV (Open Media Vault). I thought I could just plug it into my Unraid box and it would show up as encrypted, then enter the passphrase in Unassigned Devices etc. But it shows up as a new disc with no padlock and the only option is to format it.

The file system on the OMV disk is ext4 so is that the reason? For Unraid it needs to be xfs or btrfs?

Thanks

Unraid 6.8.3

Edited by ScottishTower

RE: Backup of some folders in unraid array to unassigned hard drives:

My unraid is at home.  As a backup stategy, I am thinking after backing up certain folders in the array to the UD drives, I would remove the UD drives and take them to store at my work place.   I was thinking  a full backup once a year, and incremental backups every 3 months.  

Should I use urbackup docker?  Or do it from Windows 10 using Macrium Reflect?  Or other recommendation?  Thanks.

3 minutes ago, xrqp said:

Should I use urbackup docker?

Why not use the backup script in the fist post of this thread?  It can be modified to include as many shares/folders/disks as you want.  I use it to backup 4 shares to a 14TB external USB drive which is formatted NTFS so in the worst case, it can also be accessed via Windows.

It appears that I'm getting this error on one of remote servers where I have SMB shares mapped.

Any thoughts or info I can get you to help troubleshoot?  I've rebooted the remote NAS as well as restarted unRAID.

Mar 5 09:59:12 FSNAS1U kernel: CIFS: VFS: \\192.168.1.41 Cancelling wait for mid 43247 cmd: 5
Mar 5 09:59:12 FSNAS1U kernel: CIFS: VFS: \\192.168.1.41 Cancelling wait for mid 43248 cmd: 14
Mar 5 09:59:12 FSNAS1U kernel: CIFS: VFS: \\192.168.1.41\Sync Close unmatched open for MID:a8ef
Mar 5 10:03:42 FSNAS1U kernel: CIFS: VFS: \\192.168.1.41 Cancelling wait for mid 137315 cmd: 6
Mar 5 10:03:42 FSNAS1U kernel: CIFS: VFS: \\192.168.1.41\Sync Close interrupted close

Edited by jlficken
9 hours ago, jlficken said:

It appears that I'm getting this error on one of remote servers where I have SMB shares mapped.

Any thoughts or info I can get you to help troubleshoot?  I've rebooted the remote NAS as well as restarted unRAID.

Mar 5 09:59:12 FSNAS1U kernel: CIFS: VFS: \\192.168.1.41 Cancelling wait for mid 43247 cmd: 5
Mar 5 09:59:12 FSNAS1U kernel: CIFS: VFS: \\192.168.1.41 Cancelling wait for mid 43248 cmd: 14
Mar 5 09:59:12 FSNAS1U kernel: CIFS: VFS: \\192.168.1.41\Sync Close unmatched open for MID:a8ef
Mar 5 10:03:42 FSNAS1U kernel: CIFS: VFS: \\192.168.1.41 Cancelling wait for mid 137315 cmd: 6
Mar 5 10:03:42 FSNAS1U kernel: CIFS: VFS: \\192.168.1.41\Sync Close interrupted close

Post diagnostics.

Hello! 

I'm struggling to get my scratch disk to automount on boot via the unassigned device plugin. It seems like this is a standard usage but it isnt quite working for me. I'm not sure what "mountpoint 'temp' is not set to auto mount." means in this context. I believe I have filled out all the sliders properly. 

Is the intent that people do a script to mount via fstab? Am I missing something? I've already been burned once by treating Unraid like a bog standard linux distro so I am gun shy of trying to punch my way through this problem with general linux knowledge. 

Cheers! 

Mar 6 11:58:33 Tower unassigned.devices: Mounting 'Auto Mount' Devices...

Mar 6 11:58:33 Tower unassigned.devices: Disk with serial 'WDC_WD30EFRX-###-4274', mountpoint 'temp' is not set to auto mount.

Mar 6 11:58:33 Tower unassigned.devices: Issue spin down timer for device '/dev/sdh'.

image.png.d08902b07f4747f5297ee00badae1513.png

image.png.876298c9c2a950c840ca1dce0ebfad61.png

23 minutes ago, skallox said:

Hello! 

I'm struggling to get my scratch disk to automount on boot via the unassigned device plugin. It seems like this is a standard usage but it isnt quite working for me. I'm not sure what "mountpoint 'temp' is not set to auto mount." means in this context. I believe I have filled out all the sliders properly. 

Is the intent that people do a script to mount via fstab? Am I missing something? I've already been burned once by treating Unraid like a bog standard linux distro so I am gun shy of trying to punch my way through this problem with general linux knowledge. 

Cheers! 

image.png.d08902b07f4747f5297ee00badae1513.png

image.png.876298c9c2a950c840ca1dce0ebfad61.png

Do you have the latest version of UD?  Post diagnostics.

Edited by dlandon

Since Update 6.9.0 my unassigned drive /dev/sdc never spins down (array drives can sleep most oft the time). I tried to unmount and wait - no success. I used this sata drive as backup destination with borgmatic docker container. No other process does any r/w operations to the mountpoint. I checked open files and cant find any access - but the drive is rotating anytime.

What can i do here?

1 hour ago, HagenS said:

Since Update 6.9.0 my unassigned drive /dev/sdc never spins down (array drives can sleep most oft the time). I tried to unmount and wait - no success. I used this sata drive as backup destination with borgmatic docker container. No other process does any r/w operations to the mountpoint. I checked open files and cant find any access - but the drive is rotating anytime.

What can i do here?

Can you spin it down manually by clicking on the disk ball icon?

1 hour ago, Polopretress said:

Hello. I have seen that for 6.9 rc1 it was recommended to remove UD before upgrading unraid and re instal it.

For 6.9.0 Stable, i do not see this requirement.

I am going to update from 6.8 to 6.9. Is it still necessary to remove UD ?

TY.

That is no longer necessary.