Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

1 minute ago, RealActorRob said:

Ok, what am I missing? 

'Mount' is greyed out.

All I want to do it mount/automount the unassigned disk. Not even share it. :) Just want to use it to play around with Chia mining.

image.png.c64bbb6e60cbe50afc06dd7d03639282.png

image.png.cb4e00ee235952242e27197e6f4c8b58.png

One thought: do I have to restart the array to get it to work?

It probably doesn't have a file system.  Post a screen shot of the disk with all the details on that disk on UD.

On 12/31/2021 at 5:56 PM, dlandon said:

You have multiple issues:

Dec 31 09:43:02 Tower unassigned.devices: Cannot 'Auto Mount' Remote Shares.  Network not available!

The network was not available on startup so remote shares could not be auto mounted.

Dec 31 09:45:31 Tower unassigned.devices: Error: Device '172.27.9.81:/mnt/Skywalker/Nikki' mount point '172.27.9.81_Nikki' - name is reserved, used in the array or by an unassigned device.
Dec 31 09:45:31 Tower unassigned.devices: Remote SMB/NFS '172.27.9.81:/mnt/Skywalker/Nikki' cannot be mounted.

You have another UD device with the same name.

Dec 31 09:54:14 Tower unassigned.devices: Error: Device '172.27.9.81:/mnt/Skywalker/bkup' mount point '172.27.9.81_bkup' - name is reserved, used in the array or by an unassigned device.
Dec 31 09:54:14 Tower unassigned.devices: Remote SMB/NFS '172.27.9.81:/mnt/Skywalker/bkup' cannot be mounted.
Dec 31 09:54:16 Tower unassigned.devices: Error: Device '172.27.9.81:/mnt/Skywalker/bkup' mount point '172.27.9.81_bkup' - name is reserved, used in the array or by an unassigned device.
Dec 31 09:54:16 Tower unassigned.devices: Remote SMB/NFS '172.27.9.81:/mnt/Skywalker/bkup' cannot be mounted.

This one looks to be duplicated in UD.

I'd remove all the NFS remote shares and re-enter them.

Disconnected all shares from unraid, removed all shares in truenas rebooted both, made new shares in truenas NSF SMB, gave smb shares a different name than nsf shares..... smb's mount nsf don't.

Has anyone come across this error in unassigned devices?

Warning: syntax error, unexpected '=' in Unknown on line 1 in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unassigned.devices/include/lib.php on line 1993

Not sure where to begin in debugging this, but to begin with the line in the code throwing the error.  Maybe it's something with the disk name? Not sure how to pull logs just yet.  Any guidance would be appreciated.

/* Get the udev disk information. */
function get_udev_info($dev, $udev = null) {
        global $paths;

$state  = is_file($paths['state']) ? @parse_ini_file($paths['state'], true, INI_SCANNER_RAW) : array();
        $device = safe_name($dev);
        if ($udev) {
                $state[$device]= $udev;
                save_ini_file($paths['state'], $state);
                $rc     = $udev;
        } else if (array_key_exists($device, $state)) {
                $rc     = $state[$device];
        } else {
                $dev_state = parse_ini_string(timed_exec(5,"/sbin/udevadm info --query=property --path $(/sbin/udevadm info -q path -n ".escapeshellarg($device)." 2>/dev/null) 2>/>
                if (is_array($dev_state)) {
                        $state[$device] = $dev_state;
                } else {
                        $rc = array();
                }
        }

return $rc;
}

3 minutes ago, fel0ncod3 said:

Has anyone come across this error in unassigned devices?

Warning: syntax error, unexpected '=' in Unknown on line 1 in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unassigned.devices/include/lib.php on line 1993

Not sure where to begin in debugging this, but to begin with the line in the code throwing the error.  Maybe it's something with the disk name? Not sure how to pull logs just yet.  Any guidance would be appreciated.

/* Get the udev disk information. */
function get_udev_info($dev, $udev = null) {
        global $paths;

$state  = is_file($paths['state']) ? @parse_ini_file($paths['state'], true, INI_SCANNER_RAW) : array();
        $device = safe_name($dev);
        if ($udev) {
                $state[$device]= $udev;
                $rc     = $udev;
        } else if (array_key_exists($device, $state)) {
        } else {
                $dev_state = parse_ini_string(timed_exec(5,"/sbin/udevadm info --query=property --path $(/sbin/udevadm info -q path -n ".escapeshellarg($device)." 2>/dev/null) 2>/>
                if (is_array($dev_state)) {
                        $state[$device] = $dev_state;
                } else {
                        $rc = array();
                }
        }

return $rc;
}

I've made a fix for this in the next release of UD.

1 hour ago, Joegauthjr said:
Jan  1 22:26:26 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount NFS command: /sbin/mount -t 'nfs4' -o rw,noacl '172.27.9.90:/mnt/Skywalker/Nikki' '/mnt/remotes/172.27.9.90_Nikki'
Jan  1 22:26:26 Tower unassigned.devices: NFS mount failed: 'mount: /mnt/remotes/172.27.9.90_Nikki: unknown filesystem type 'nfs4'. '.
Jan  1 22:26:31 Tower unassigned.devices: Mounting Remote SMB/NFS Share '172.27.9.90:/mnt/Skywalker/Nikki'...
Jan  1 22:26:31 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount NFS command: /sbin/mount -t 'nfs4' -o rw,noacl '172.27.9.90:/mnt/Skywalker/Nikki' '/mnt/remotes/172.27.9.90_Nikki'

You need 6.10 or better to mount nfs shares with NFSv4.  Go to UD settings and set NFS version to use NFSv3 and your shares will mount.

672939609_UDSettings.thumb.png.6ac0581132bb4b9fd57689ac029555e7.png

Edited by dlandon
40 minutes ago, dlandon said:

It doesn't indicate a problem with your system, it's just a situation that UD does not handle well.

Do you know of a workaround in the meantime?

Earlier today I restarted and hot plug the drive in, and it would work, but eventually it would disconnect the HDD and throw this error. 

45 minutes ago, dlandon said:
Jan  1 22:26:26 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount NFS command: /sbin/mount -t 'nfs4' -o rw,noacl '172.27.9.90:/mnt/Skywalker/Nikki' '/mnt/remotes/172.27.9.90_Nikki'
Jan  1 22:26:26 Tower unassigned.devices: NFS mount failed: 'mount: /mnt/remotes/172.27.9.90_Nikki: unknown filesystem type 'nfs4'. '.
Jan  1 22:26:31 Tower unassigned.devices: Mounting Remote SMB/NFS Share '172.27.9.90:/mnt/Skywalker/Nikki'...
Jan  1 22:26:31 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount NFS command: /sbin/mount -t 'nfs4' -o rw,noacl '172.27.9.90:/mnt/Skywalker/Nikki' '/mnt/remotes/172.27.9.90_Nikki'

You need 6.10 or better to mount nfs shares with NFSv4.  Go to UD settings and set NFS version to use to NVFv3 and your shares will mount.

891541221_UDSettings.thumb.png.4d48d828d8d8cd37d75406c18b31d14d.png

Jan 1 23:41:01 Tower rpcbind[6896]: connect from 127.0.0.1 to getport/addr(status) 
Jan 1 23:41:11 Tower unassigned.devices: Error: shell_exec(/sbin/mount -t 'nfs' -o 
rw,noacl '172.27.9.90:/mnt/Skywalker/Nikki' '/mnt/remotes/172.27.9.90_Nikki' 2>&1) took longer than 10s! 
Jan 1 23:41:11 Tower unassigned.devices: NFS mount failed: 'command timed out'.

now it is timing out

7 hours ago, fel0ncod3 said:

Do you know of a workaround in the meantime?

Earlier today I restarted and hot plug the drive in, and it would work, but eventually it would disconnect the HDD and throw this error. 

I guess I was wrong.  You do have an issue with this drive.  There is no work around to your drive disconnecting, except to fix it.  It it's a USB drive, try another UB port.

Post diagnostics so we can see what is causing the disconnect.

7 hours ago, Joegauthjr said:

Jan 1 23:41:01 Tower rpcbind[6896]: connect from 127.0.0.1 to getport/addr(status) 
Jan 1 23:41:11 Tower unassigned.devices: Error: shell_exec(/sbin/mount -t 'nfs' -o 
rw,noacl '172.27.9.90:/mnt/Skywalker/Nikki' '/mnt/remotes/172.27.9.90_Nikki' 2>&1) took longer than 10s! 

now it is timing out

What is that IP address - 172.27.9.90?  That can't be your LAN?

New release of UD:

• Pool devices are now handled better by UD.  Pool devices must all have the same mount point in UD and any of the pool device's 'Mount' button will mount the pool.  When mounted the primary device has an active 'Unmount' button.  Secondary devices are marked 'Pool'.  The primary device is used to umnount the pool.  Pooled devices unassigned from Unraid Pools can be mounted by UD.
  • The UD check for mount point duplicates now works even with Pool Devices.  The setting to not check UD devices for duplicates has been removed.  It is no longer necessary.
  • Ability to save a blank mount point.  This removes the UD mount point setting and can be helpful with a disk pool device that has a UD historical mount point.  Pooled devices will use the disk label (common to all pooled devices) as the mount point.
  • Fix for CIFS mounts on Windows computers that sometimes won't mount because of local name resolution.  It is recommended to have SMBv1 disabled on all Windows computers and NetBIOS disabled on your Unraid server.
  • Fix for disks showing in sdX order.  They were sometimes out of order.
  • SMB/NFS, ISO, and historical devices are now sorted in alphabetic order.
  • Applied a fix that should show SCSI disks in UD with the dynamix.scsi.device plugin installed.  UD now excludes CD and DVD disks, and accepts all other devices.  This was changed from including only sd, hd, and nvme devices.  I have no way to test though, so I don't know if this works.  Feedback would be appreciated.  If you see a device in UD that should not be there, let me know as I may need to exclude it.
  • SMB and NFS server lookups display all servers now by name and not IP address.  It is best to use the server name and not the IP address.  If the IP address of a server is not static, it can change causing remote mounts to fail.
  • Some minor GUI changes.

With the changes in resolving local servers and the lookup of servers now showing server names and not IP addresses, there should be no need for using IP addresses for remote shares, especially NFS shares.  I recommend updating all remote shares to use the server name and not the IP address.

8 hours ago, Joegauthjr said:

now it is timing out

Update to today's release of UD, delete your NFS remote shares and then re-add them using the server name.  Click on the 'Search for Servers' button and choose the server you want.

Hello. Updated to the latest version of this plugin today and seeing some unexpected behavior. All the entries in the screenshot we're not there before. One entry for each disk in the array, plus the bottom 5 for disks in various cache pools. I clicked disk log information for the 1st disk (dm-0) which is a 4TB disk in the main array, Please let me know if you need further logs/info. Many thanks

Screenshot 2022-01-02 at 14.46.39.png

Screenshot 2022-01-02 at 14.47.16.png

Edited by FrequencyLost
diags not needed
17 minutes ago, FrequencyLost said:

Hello. Updated to the latest version of this plugin today and seeing some unexpected behavior. All the entries in the screenshot we're not there before. One entry for each disk in the array, plus the bottom 5 for disks in various cache pools. I clicked disk log information for the 1st disk (dm-0) which is a 4TB disk in the main array, Please let me know if you need further logs/info. Many thanks

Screenshot 2022-01-02 at 14.46.39.png

Screenshot 2022-01-02 at 14.47.16.png

yuki-diagnostics-20220102-1500.zip 255.67 kB · 0 downloads

I just applied a fix.  Update to the 2022.01.02a release and those should not show up.

I'm trying to solve the problem with scsi disks not showing up when the dynamix.scsi.devices plugin is installed.  UD was previously just including certain disk device types (sd, md, and nvme), but the scsi devices were being excluded this way.  I changed the logic to exclude certain devices (namely CD and DVD devices), but more got included than I expected.  I've now excluded 'dm' devices, so maybe my idea will work.

I didn't see this on either of my servers because I don't show any 'dm' devices.

• Like 1