Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

On 3/11/2022 at 8:27 AM, dlandon said:

Just released a new version of UD.  You can now create a rootshare in UD and name it like you want.  It will also work with the Recycle Bin plugin.  You need to be sure to turn on the 'Enable on Unassigned Devices?' in the Recycle Bin plugin so the recycle bin is enabled on the rootshare.

This functionality replaces the modifications to the smb-extra.conf to make a rootshare.

I haven't used a root share before. This seems like an improvement vs how it sounds like it was done before. But why does the plugin create a /mnt/rootshare folder even when the rootshare feature isn't being used?

3 minutes ago, WalkerJ said:

I haven't used a root share before. This seems like an improvement vs how it sounds like it was done before. But why does the plugin create a /mnt/rootshare folder even when the rootshare feature isn't being used?

UD sets up several mount folders when it is installed.  /mnt/disks/ for disk drives, /mnt/remotes/ for remote shares, and /mnt/rootshare/ for root shares, even if these features are not actively being used.  These folders can contain many mount points.  For example the /mnt/rootshare/ folder can contain a mount point for /mnt/user/, and /mnt/disks/ at the same time.  Those folders are not mount points.

What is your concern with this arrangement?

1 hour ago, dlandon said:

Look at Mac OS Interoperability in UD and the Settings->SMB.

That fixed it. Pretty sure I had it turned on in UD settings prior to updating to RC3. I noticed a few of my settings were lost with the update. Guess I'll need to go through and check them all.

1 minute ago, wgstarks said:

That fixed it. Pretty sure I had it turned on in UD settings prior to updating to RC3. I noticed a few of my settings were lost with the update. Guess I'll need to go through and check them all.

None of the settings should have been touched.  Flash issue?

Don't think so but it is little old. I'll have to keep an eye on it I guess. Got another one If I need it. I know the local master setting got switched off (that really made SMB transfers flaky) and my ssl certificate is no longer being used. Also had to restore the auto-mount settings for all my local UD devices. 🤷‍♂️

7 hours ago, Arrior said:

Mar 12 22:05:45 Alpha unassigned.devices: Error: shell_exec(/bin/df '/mnt/remotes/TRUENAS_media' --output=size,used,avail | /bin/grep -v '1K-blocks' 2>/dev/null) took longer than 5s!

You probably have network issues and UD commands are timing out because of it.  Please post diagnostics.

Hi - I'm having some issues with some drives that appear as VMFS volume member / file system (previous thread in wrong place😞

I'm mid-migration from ESXi to Unriad, and have come across a slight issue in that a couple of disks are appearing in VMFS FS format, and I can't access them in Unassigned Devices to copy the data off to my new unraid array.

When the PC was on ESXi, I had an LSI2008 controller (in IT mode) passed through to a windows 10 VM which had the disks attached to it, and therefore passed through to the VM to see all the SMART data, etc. They were formatted in NTFS and all working fine. Now that I'm running unraid, out of the 3 disks that were passed through in ESXi, one is showing as NFS and the other 2 are showing as VMFS. This is odd, as all 3 were passed through on the same controller, and all appeared fine in the windows VM. It's possible that they were previously formatted as VMFS before they were passed through, but once passed through they were reformatted in windows as ntfs.

Any ideas how 2 out of the 3 are showing as VMFS, and more importantly, is there any way to mark them back to ntfs so that I can mount them as unassigned devices and copy the data across to the array?

In the first attached image, the drive circled in green highlighter is OK and showing as NTFS, whereas the 2 circled in pink highlighter are showing as VMFS for some reason. Dev 3 / sdd is correctly showing as VMFS - this disk was also in ESXI, but not passed through to anything and does have a VMFS formatted store on it.

I just hung the 3TB WD drive in a windows PC and it shows correctly as an NTFS drive all accessible in windows.

So why does Unraid show them as VMFS?

Screenshot 2022-03-13 102418 edited.png

Screenshot 2022-03-13 103531.png

Edited by PitRejection2359
typo
27 minutes ago, PitRejection2359 said:

I'm mid-migration from ESXi to Unriad, and have come across a slight issue in that a couple of disks are appearing in VMFS FS format, and I can't access them in Unassigned Devices to copy the data off to my new unraid array.

Linux sees those disks as VMWare disks.  UD does not currently mount those kinds of disks.

My suggestion is to put them back into the old server and do a UD remote share mount and transfer the data that way.

14 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Linux sees those disks as VMWare disks. 

So why does it show as NTFS when I put it back into a windows PC? And why does one of them show correctly as NTFS?

My suggestion is to put them back into the old server and do a UD remote share mount and transfer the data that way.

Unfortunately, the servers are one and the same hardware! So it can either run ESXi or Unraid, but not both at the same time! The reason I thought this would be fine is because the disks are formatted as NTFS, so should have allowed me to migrate the data one drive at a time and then add the drives to the array once the data had been copied off. If I can't do this, I need to work out how to migrate all the data another way!

15 minutes ago, PitRejection2359 said:

So why does it show as NTFS when I put it back into a windows PC? And why does one of them show correctly as NTFS?

Windows deals with the VMWare tag on the disk and will mount them as NTFS disks.  Linux doesn't recognize them as NTFS because of the VMWare tag.  It takes a special Linux package to mount the VMFS disks.  This has not been implemented into UD at this time.

13 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Windows deals with the VMWare tag on the disk and will mount them as NTFS disks.  Linux doesn't recognize them as NTFS because of the VMWare tag.  It takes a special Linux package to mount the VMFS disks.  This has not been implemented into UD at this time.

OK, thank you for all the details and info. So why does one of the disks come up as NTFS in unraid then, even though they were all passed through and formatted in the VM? And is there any way to remove the VMWare tag somehow, whist retaining the data on the disk?

Just now, PitRejection2359 said:

So why does one of the disks come up as NTFS in unraid then, even though they were all passed through and formatted in the VM?

I can't answer that.  It's a Linux thing.

1 minute ago, PitRejection2359 said:

And is there any way to remove the VMWare tag somehow, whist retaining the data on the disk?

I don't know enough about VMWare disks.  The expert at disks is @JorgeB.  Maybe he has a suggestion.

I could add the mounting of VMWare disks in UD, but I would need a VMWare disk (I don't have one) and a week or so to implement.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, dlandon said:

I don't know enough about VMWare disks.  The expert at disks is @JorgeB.  Maybe he has a suggestion.

Never used VMWare, but suspect those disks have more than one filesystem signature, Windows only looks for supported fs, Linux is likely detecting the other one as primary, you can check by looking at the output of

blkid

If there are multiple fs signatures you should be able to delete VMfs while leaving NTFS, but it's not something I ever did or can help with.

• Like 1

Never used VMWare, but suspect those disks have more than one filesystem signature, Windows only looks for supported fs, Linux is likely detecting the other one as primary, you can check by looking at the output of
blkid

If there are multiple fs signatures you should be able to delete VMfs while leaving NTFS, but it's not something I ever did or can help with.

Thanks - I'll check when I get home, but don't really want to try to change it if there's a hight risk of messing it up and losing the data! I'll have to work out some other way to migrate the data across the network, rather than directly on the untaid server.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, PitRejection2359 said:

Thanks - I'll check when I get home, but don't really want to try to change it if there's a hight risk of messing it up and losing the data! I'll have to work out some other way to migrate the data across the network, rather than directly on the untaid server.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Sounds as if the safest thing to do is plug the drives into a Windows system and then copying the contents to Unraid over the network?   Might be slower but sounds less risky.

I have a disc that shows its content in the main view of unraid.

I want to copy the content to my array.

But Krusader doesn't show my the root folder of the disc.

It appears to be empty.

Any help on this? (I got UD+ installed as well)

Bonus Q: What is the preset password of ssh tower if I want to copy it via the terminal?

Edited by _astro_
2 minutes ago, _astro_ said:

I have a disc that shows its content in the main view of unraid.

2 minutes ago, _astro_ said:

But UD doesn't show my the root folder of the disc.

These 2 statements seem to contradict each other. Can you explain? Maybe a screenshot could show what you mean.

4 minutes ago, _astro_ said:

What is the preset password of ssh tower if I want to copy it via the terminal?

Only root has access to the webUI or command line, and until you set a password for root, the password is blank.

so . . . i finally got around to setting up the rootshare with UD.

Even tho it succesfully created, have set and checked SMB security settings, i cannot connect to it.

Other shares work fine (yes i've disconnected them prior to trying to mount the UD root share). I'm prompted with a login, after filling this out, the network path cannot be reached?