Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array


dlandon

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Sorry, I just noticesd it's already unmlounted.  Just click on the blue mount point text.

Both are mounted and in use. That is what I am confused about. Capture2.thumb.PNG.2051e5f5a4b7690bf84345265588d071.PNG

Edited by glassbase
Link to comment
1 hour ago, glassbase said:

Both are mounted and in use. That is what I am confused about. Capture2.thumb.PNG.2051e5f5a4b7690bf84345265588d071.PNG

Are you mounting those disks manually somewhere in a script?  If so, don't.

 

There is an issue with those mounts.  I would do the following:

  • Be sure auto mount is turned off for both disks.
  • Don't auto start the Dockers.
  • Remove the 'dev2' Historical device.
  • Reboot the server.
  • Rename the mount points like you want.
  • Mount the disks.
  • Start the Dockers.
Link to comment

Hey smart people! I am on version 6.10.1.

 

I need help figuring something out. I was able to set up a wireguard connection between two unraid servers and then get a remote SMB share mounted on my local unraid server.

 

Where I am stuck is mapping that share as a network drive in Windows. I have plenty of other local shares mapped as network drives on my PC, but I cannot figure out the path for the remote SMB share.

 

What am I missing?

Gyp7wVX.png

 

WHMqrqU.png

 

GQHVQau.png

 

Thanks!

 

Link to comment
11 hours ago, dlandon said:

Are you mounting those disks manually somewhere in a script?  If so, don't.

 

There is an issue with those mounts.  I would do the following:

  • Be sure auto mount is turned off for both disks.
  • Don't auto start the Dockers.
  • Remove the 'dev2' Historical device.
  • Reboot the server.
  • Rename the mount points like you want.
  • Mount the disks.
  • Start the Dockers.

100% non manually mounting, only every mounted using UD. I will try those steps and report back. Thx

Link to comment
13 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Click on the settings icon (three gears) and be sure you have the "Share" switch set on.

 

Thanks, but that is on.

 

mx4Xxm1.png

 

I still cannot get the share to mount.

 

I try \\192.168.1.30\shared, \\192.168.1.30\remotes\shared, \\192.168.1.30\mnt\remotes\shared, \\192.168.1.30/mnt/remotes/shared, \\192.168.1.30/remotes/shared, and \\192.168.1.30/shared.

It fails to connect.

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, JudMeherg said:

I try \\192.168.1.30\shared, \\192.168.1.30\remotes\shared, \\192.168.1.30\mnt\remotes\shared, \\192.168.1.30/mnt/remotes/shared, \\192.168.1.30/remotes/shared, and \\192.168.1.30/shared.

random syntax never works.

Link to comment
23 minutes ago, trurl said:

random syntax never works.

 

It wasn't really random.

 

\\192.168.1.30\shared - This is how I map my normal shares in windows.

\\192.168.1.30\remotes\shared, \\192.168.1.30\mnt\remotes\shared - Because that is the mount path indicated in Unraid.

\\192.168.1.30/mnt/remotes/shared, \\192.168.1.30/remotes/shared, and \\192.168.1.30/shared - These are random I guess, but I noticed the source address in the unassigned devices had the slashes the other directions. Figured I would give it a shot.

Link to comment
Posted (edited)

Hi All 

 

Having a strange with 2 New SSD's where they are reporting the same SCSI ID/WWN, this is causing an issue where only one can be online at a time, else UnRaid fills the logs with one of the following, dependant on which drive is online. 

 

May 27 11:53:16 UnRaid emhttpd: device /dev/sdx problem getting id

May 27 12:19:29 UnRaid emhttpd: device /dev/sdy problem getting id

 

Both drives function when only one is plugged in, but i was going to make a cache pool out of the pair, which i obviously cant do unless i can get them both online.

 

As you can see from the attached images, both disks have _32020202020202020 appended to the model/serial, is this a drive issue, or something i can change from within UnRaid?

 

Images are to show the various stats of both drives being online individually, also does not matter if i remove the drives from the historic Devices

UD1.jpg

One Drive Plugged in

UD2.jpg

Adding a second pushes the first into historic devices

UD3.jpg

removed from historic

UD4.jpg

reinserted the first which pushes the second to Historic Devices

 

Thanks

Edited by Kill3r
Clarity
Link to comment
21 minutes ago, JudMeherg said:

Are you using a Windows or MAC PC to access the share?

 

Looks like it should work fine.  The share will be at \\tower\shared.  The only thing I see that might be causing a problem is the mount point ('shared') is the same as the source name.  You might try changing the mount point to another name.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Are you using a Windows or MAC PC to access the share?

 

Looks like it should work fine.  The share will be at \\tower\shared.  The only thing I see that might be causing a problem is the mount point ('shared') is the same as the source name.  You might try changing the mount point to another name.

 

Okay.....so \\tower\shared worked!

 

So dumb question, why doesn't it work with the IP address like my other shares?

Link to comment
11 minutes ago, Kill3r said:

Both drives function when only one is plugged in, but i was going to make a cache pool out of the pair, which i obviously cant do unless i can get them both online.

Looks like both drives have unique serial numbers.  How are they connected?  USB drive bay?

Link to comment
13 hours ago, dlandon said:

Are you mounting those disks manually somewhere in a script?  If so, don't.

 

There is an issue with those mounts.  I would do the following:

  • Be sure auto mount is turned off for both disks.
  • Don't auto start the Dockers.
  • Remove the 'dev2' Historical device.
  • Reboot the server.
  • Rename the mount points like you want.
  • Mount the disks.
  • Start the Dockers.

Back up and running with these steps.

 

Although I did realize you cannot click the pencil to edit name, you actually click the name. (I swear in older version of UD, you clicked the pencil, but been long time since I had to edit mount names.)

Link to comment
On 5/13/2022 at 11:52 PM, dlandon said:

I've made a change in UD to use the actual device id rather than a cobbled id from the ID_MODEL + ID_SERIAL_SHORT that's been used since UD was originally written.  Not sure why the original author chose that way of doing things.

Hi again,

 

Just updated the plugin after some time being a bit disconnected, and quite pleased that this change solved my issue.

 

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/92462-unassigned-devices-managing-disk-drives-and-remote-shares-outside-of-the-unraid-array/page/305/#comment-1121597

 

Now my SD card reader is properly showing the inserted cards after plugin moving away from the id serial short. 

image.thumb.png.f85829a6fe6fc3b398aeec9107e52015.png

 

Many thanks @dlandon !

Link to comment
15 minutes ago, Vic_ent said:

Now my SD card reader is properly showing the inserted cards after plugin moving away from the id serial short. 

I don't like that the second device is showing 'sdk', and not a 'Dev X'.  That idicates that Unraid is not seeing it as an unassigned device.

 

Can you post diagnostics so I can have a look?

Link to comment
6 hours ago, dlandon said:

I don't like that the second device is showing 'sdk', and not a 'Dev X'.  That idicates that Unraid is not seeing it as an unassigned device.

Won't that be because there's no card inserted? They also don't count for Unraid licensing purposes, when there's no card inserted.

Link to comment
3 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Won't that be because there's no card inserted? They also don't count for Unraid licensing purposes, when there's no card inserted.

I'm thinking UD probably shouldn't be showing a device with a zero size since Unraid is ignoring it.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.