Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

2 hours ago, hawihoney said:

@dlandon may I ask how to mount an ISO file with Unassigned Devices? There's a button:

image.png.5328c64211bf1bb062f1a09a264ae953.png

If I click on that button I see an empty entryfield:

image.png.04af01cf9d7936316e41de033f6e2cc7.png

Shouldn't there be a dialog to chose an ISO File out of a folder view or something like that?

Thanks.

It works ok for me, but looks like it uses the iso path from VM manager for the root, is that set to a valid path on your system?

2 hours ago, hawihoney said:

@dlandon may I ask how to mount an ISO file with Unassigned Devices? There's a button:

image.png.5328c64211bf1bb062f1a09a264ae953.png

If I click on that button I see an empty entryfield:

image.png.04af01cf9d7936316e41de033f6e2cc7.png

Shouldn't there be a dialog to chose an ISO File out of a folder view or something like that?

Thanks.

It shows files in the “isos” share.  Be sure to define an “isos” share and put your files there.  It doesn’t have to be defined in the vm config.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, dlandon said:

It shows files in the “isos” share.  Be sure to define an “isos” share and put your files there.  It doesn’t have to be defined in the vm config.

Sorry, but that does not work.

I do have a very old Unraid system (2008). There are no ISO or whatever shares (no docker, no VMs, but upgraded all the time). And I don't understand why Unassigned Devices uses a share that is defined at a different setting somewhere else. Why not use an own setting? But that is a different story ...

So I did create a new share:

image.thumb.png.105a114dd2c3a6636fa15cb5a1941e8b.png

Still no joy: 

image.png.a9bab1fbe3c14ed23f80fead834a9476.png

Why is everything so complicated? Why not use a setting in your own plugin where you do expect ISO files? Or better: Why not use a directory navigation like that within "Container Create Path" navigation or VMs to find an ISO anywhere?

What's wrong with my setting? I just want to mount a dumb ISO that's somewhere on my array?

Sorry for my words. Usually Christmas is a peaceful time - but not here.

Share names are case significant at the Linux level.  The default share name is ‘isos’ as defined here in the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page.   I am not sure however where the plugin looks for the default path if you do not have VM support enabled.

1 hour ago, hawihoney said:

Sorry, but that does not work.

Define an "isos" share:

Screenshot 2022-12-25 133518.png

Why is everything so complicated? Why not use a setting in your own plugin where you do expect ISO files?

UD does not create user shares, and the browser built into Unraid limits the scope of browsing for security reasons.

Or better: Why not use a directory navigation like that within "Container Create Path" navigation or VMs to find an ISO anywhere?

In later versions of Unraid, an 'isos' share is automatically created, so it makes sense to use that.  Why create a UD location when there is already an "isos" share?

Why not upgrade Unraid to the latest version?

12 hours ago, dlandon said:

"isos"

Ah, there's a difference between my "ISOs" share and the required "isos" share?

Will check that. Thanks.

And yes, the first Unraid server is from 2008 and the second from 2009 (I think it was Unraid 4.7). The third came later. All are on latest releases and have always been upgraded.

3 hours ago, hawihoney said:

Ah, there's a difference between my "ISOs" share and the required "isos" share?

Just to warn you that if both (with different case) exist then it matters when configuring locally, but if shared over the network the contents of only one of them will be shown (since Samba is case independent) and it may not be the one you expect.  You do not want therefore folders with the same spelling but different case to exist at the Linux level.

• Thanks 1

During array startup on unraid 6.11.5 on UD 2022.12.19, I get a Firefox browser prompt asking if I want to resubmit or not when the UD section tries to refresh. If I decline, everything seems fine. If I grant it, the UD block displays and then the entire page refreshes with the drive assignment available like the array is offline. The Docker screen reflects the "Array must be started" block AND displays the Docker apps with some running. Shares are available. Main tab has no stop/start buttons, just reboot.

Rebooted in safe mode, no issue starting the array.

Upon start up of array:

image.thumb.png.78f99495b3caaa03041d46b8b9b1771c.png

image.png.df7d81073973688767c24df71879c516.png

nasbackup-diagnostics-20221226-1521.zip

On 12/23/2022 at 1:47 PM, dlandon said:

Found a bug.  It will be fixed in the next release.  Unfortunately, I'm working on zfs integration and php8.1 updates currently and I'm not comfortable releasing the updated version until I have done more testing.

No worries and thank you. I am busy to and do not have time to manually fix. When I do I will check back for an update or manually fix then. 

Either way will report back and thanks for the plug-in and quick work.

17 hours ago, 1WayJonny said:

No worries and thank you. I am busy to and do not have time to manually fix. When I do I will check back for an update or manually fix then. 

Either way will report back and thanks for the plug-in and quick work.

Hi saw the update and applied but it did not auto fix my drive names.

I wen to the device and renamed, then deleted any text and hit SAVE. That then saved the right name and repeated for all the incorrect drives and they are not duplicating any more.

The update did not automatically do it but maybe prevent it in the future?

Thanks for the work and attention. Have a good day.

4 minutes ago, 1WayJonny said:

Hi saw the update and applied but it did not auto fix my drive names.

I wen to the device and renamed, then deleted any text and hit SAVE. That then saved the right name and repeated for all the incorrect drives and they are not duplicating any more.

The update did not automatically do it but maybe prevent it in the future?

Thanks for the work and attention. Have a good day.

It will fix the device designations when a drive is first detected.  Click on the double arrows in the upper right hand corner of the UD page and that will initiate a hot plug event and fix the designations.