Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

58 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Yes that's expected, but usually shortly after is comes back online the bar populated normally but it no longer does.

The server was rebooted last night while the remote was up, and it never populated either (that's when I took the screenshot).

Go to a command line and do this command:

df /mnt/remotes/your mountpoint

and post the results.

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

The bars are working again right now but I will if they break again. Had been broken for a couple of days with reboots of both machines.

Having a remote server go to sleep while UD has a share mounted and then expecting things to just pick back up is expecting a lot.  CIFS will do the best it can to re-connect, but UD has no control over what CIFS does.

Is there a way to mount/unmount the remote shares on a schedule so you can prevent this issue?

12 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Having a remote server go to sleep while UD has a share mounted and then expecting things to just pick back up is expecting a lot. 

I agree, but it's been working flawlessly for 6 months now...

The bar issue isn't important, I just reported it as it was a change from usual behavior in case it could be indicative of something else.

6 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

I agree, but it's been working flawlessly for 6 months now...

The bar issue isn't important, I just reported it as it was a change from usual behavior in case it could be indicative of something else.

Nothing has changed in UD over the last few releases that should affect the display of the size, free, and used space on remote shares.  That being said, there may have been some changes in CIFS that affect the connection to the remote share.

The problem is that the lost connection as shown by the lack of the size, free, and used display is an indication of underlying problem that will probably affect the operation of the remote share.

I was having a problem with one of my unassigned drives that I'd just put into an external shell, that problem was resolved but at some point the other drive stopped showing up. The mount option is grey. I'm fairly sure it also used to be Dev 1 and is now saying Dev 2, I don't know if that matters. I've tried all various unplugging, plugging, clearing configs, reboot etc. but nothing has helped.

The problematic drive is:

WD_Elements_25A3_57344A3058525034-0:0 (sda)

WD5TB

I'd appreciate any help or advice offered.

apollo-diagnostics-20230101-1929.zip

Edited by Benji
1 hour ago, Benji said:

I was having a problem with one of my unassigned drives that I'd just put into an external shell, that problem was resolved but at some point the other drive stopped showing up. The mount option is grey. I'm fairly sure it also used to be Dev 1 and is now saying Dev 2, I don't know if that matters. I've tried all various unplugging, plugging, clearing configs, reboot etc. but nothing has helped.

The problematic drive is:

WD_Elements_25A3_57344A3058525034-0:0 (sda)

WD5TB

I'd appreciate any help or advice offered.

apollo-diagnostics-20230101-1929.zip 127.63 kB · 0 downloads

Your disk has a problem:

Jan  1 17:08:02 Apollo unassigned.devices: Mounting 'Auto Mount' Devices...
Jan  1 17:08:02 Apollo unassigned.devices: Partition 'sda1' does not have a file system and cannot be mounted.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, dlandon said:

Your disk has a problem:

Jan  1 17:08:02 Apollo unassigned.devices: Mounting 'Auto Mount' Devices...
Jan  1 17:08:02 Apollo unassigned.devices: Partition 'sda1' does not have a file system and cannot be mounted.

Right, so it got corrupted then I guess. Thank you for your help.

11 hours ago, dlandon said:

Sorry, I understood the drive was in an enclosure.  Without knowing your arrangement, I can't say if the enclosure might be an issue.

They are both in an enclosure, unused WD Elements enclosures. The drive that has a problem has been fine for a while like that, it's only from constantly plugging and unplugging the new one did the first go wrong.

I wonder if I knocked the cables or something while I was working on the other and caused an issue.

edit - For reference, I think the partition got deleted or altered. I recreated the NTFS partition in r-studio and was able to read the entire folder and file structure, the files are being recovered to a new disk now.

Edited by Benji

Hello, one of my Unassigned Drives shows up twice under Historical Devices when it's not mounted. When mounted it does not show up at all under Historical Devices. Should I click the red X next to one of these devices under HD? If so which one? Any idea why this happened?  This is a USB external drive that runs a script that backs up my Backup share. The script shows up under the settings for both of these devices. 

Passport drive while mounted:

1331414443_passportwhilemounted.thumb.png.530be2f4a08cd4e59bf01165a0b44392.png

Passport drive when not mounted (showing in Historical Devices twice. 'Dev2' and 'none'.

617861418_passportwhileunmounted.thumb.png.56d78add22abeb502da2858a8d0dd032.png

35 minutes ago, adminmat said:

Hello, one of my Unassigned Drives shows up twice under Historical Devices when it's not mounted. When mounted it does not show up at all under Historical Devices. Should I click the red X next to one of these devices under HD? If so which one? Any idea why this happened?  This is a USB external drive that runs a script that backs up my Backup share. The script shows up under the settings for both of these devices. 

Passport drive while mounted:

1331414443_passportwhilemounted.thumb.png.530be2f4a08cd4e59bf01165a0b44392.png

Passport drive when not mounted (showing in Historical Devices twice. 'Dev2' and 'none'.

617861418_passportwhileunmounted.thumb.png.56d78add22abeb502da2858a8d0dd032.png

Delete the one marked 'none' in Historical Devices.

Just now, bigup said:

im running a drive in unassigned devices and mounted a share from it for use.

if i run an update for unassigned devices plugin will the drive be unmounted and then mounted again automatically or does it not touch the mounted drive?

thanks

It doesn't touch anything.

• Like 1

Hi, I am having problems mounting an encrypted USB drive.

I activated the destructive mode, deleted all partitions, formated the drive with xfs-encrypted ... that all went well:

Jan  5 20:07:00 Tower unassigned.devices: Removing partition '1' from disk '/dev/sdb'.
Jan  5 20:07:55 Tower unassigned.devices: Format device '/dev/sdb'.
Jan  5 20:07:55 Tower unassigned.devices: Device '/dev/sdb' block size: 5860533168.
Jan  5 20:07:55 Tower unassigned.devices: Clearing partition table of disk '/dev/sdb'.
Jan  5 20:07:55 Tower unassigned.devices: Clear partition result: 1+0 records in 1+0 records out 2097152 bytes (2.1 MB, 2.0 MiB) copied, 0.013233 s, 158 MB/s
Jan  5 20:07:57 Tower unassigned.devices: Reloading disk '/dev/sdb' partition table.
Jan  5 20:07:57 Tower unassigned.devices: Reload partition table result: /dev/sdb:  re-reading partition table
Jan  5 20:07:57 Tower unassigned.devices: Creating Unraid compatible gpt partition on disk '/dev/sdb'.
Jan  5 20:08:00 Tower kernel: sdb: sdb1
Jan  5 20:08:00 Tower unassigned.devices: Create gpt partition table result: Creating new GPT entries in memory. The operation has completed successfully. 
Jan  5 20:08:02 Tower unassigned.devices: Reloading disk '/dev/sdb' partition table.
Jan  5 20:08:02 Tower kernel: sdb: sdb1
Jan  5 20:08:02 Tower unassigned.devices: Reload partition table result: /dev/sdb:  re-reading partition table
Jan  5 20:08:02 Tower unassigned.devices: Formatting disk '/dev/sdb' with 'xfs-encrypted' filesystem.
Jan  5 20:08:11 Tower unassigned.devices: Format drive command: /sbin/mkfs.xfs -f '/dev/mapper/format_sdb' 2>&1
Jan  5 20:08:26 Tower unassigned.devices: Format disk '/dev/sdb' with 'xfs-encrypted' filesystem: meta-data=/dev/mapper/format_sdb isize=512    agcount=4, agsize=183140635 blks          =                       sectsz=4096  attr=2, projid32bit=1          =                       crc=1        finobt=1, sparse=1, rmapbt=0          =                       reflink=1    bigtime=1 inobtcount=1 data     =                       bsize=4096   blocks=732562537, imaxpct=5          =                       sunit=0      swidth=0 blks naming   =version 2              bsize=4096   ascii-ci=0, ftype=1 log      =internal log           bsize=4096   blocks=357696, version=2          =                       sectsz=4096  sunit=1 blks, lazy-count=1 realtime =none                   extsz=4096   blocks=0, rtextents=0
Jan  5 20:08:29 Tower unassigned.devices: Reloading disk '/dev/sdb' partition table.

After that I set the password for the drive in the UNASSIGNED DEVICES settings:

Jan  5 20:09:03 Tower  ool www[25856]: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unassigned.devices/scripts/rc.settings 'set_pass'

and hit the mount button on the main tab and it is not working:

Jan  5 20:27:22 Tower unassigned.devices: Adding partition 'UnraidBackup1'...
Jan  5 20:27:22 Tower unassigned.devices: Mounting partition 'UnraidBackup1' at mountpoint '/mnt/disks/UnraidBackup1'...
Jan  5 20:27:22 Tower unassigned.devices: Using disk password to open the 'crypto_LUKS' device.
Jan  5 20:27:25 Tower unassigned.devices: luksOpen result: No key available with this passphrase. 
Jan  5 20:27:25 Tower unassigned.devices: Partition 'IB-1122- U3' cannot be mounted.

Does anyone have an idea what I am doing worng?

Thanks for your help

Hello together,

Maybe someone can help me out.

I have a WD Elements Desktop (20TB) Drive attached via USB to my Server do do Backups.

But the Drive does not spin down, no matter what I do.

I tried to unmount -> still spinning

I tried to detach -> still spinning

I tried to unbind the usb port -> still spinning

What else can I do?

I read in some Threads that I may not be able to spin down the drive manually (hdparm gives me an error though). But nevertheless the drive should go to sleep due to inactivity anyway.

Thanks for any advice.

36 minutes ago, UnKwicks said:

Hello together,

Maybe someone can help me out.

I have a WD Elements Desktop (20TB) Drive attached via USB to my Server do do Backups.

But the Drive does not spin down, no matter what I do.

I tried to unmount -> still spinning

I tried to detach -> still spinning

I tried to unbind the usb port -> still spinning

What else can I do?

I read in some Threads that I may not be able to spin down the drive manually (hdparm gives me an error though). But nevertheless the drive should go to sleep due to inactivity anyway.

Thanks for any advice.

Can you click on the green orb next to the drive and spin the drive down manually?  If not, the drive probably won't spin down.

33 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Can you click on the green orb next to the drive and spin the drive down manually?  If not, the drive probably won't spin down.

Thanks for your help. Clicking the green button does not spin down the drive.

When I attach the drive to my Mac the drive spins down after very short time when it is not mounted.

Edited by UnKwicks