Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

11 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Yes, please do.  It gets chatty if left on and fills the log.

Hi, i upgraded UD (noticed this AM) and then read through your above texts.  I did the following to resolve the issue:

went into settings of UD, change security from public to no for both SMB (apply), then NFS (apply)
went to main menu option then went to both drive and mount and selected the gear and "disabled" share and pressed done went back into the gear for the drive and share was back enabled I clicked done again.  I did the same for the mount.   

i then tested the through windows 10 and the mount is shared.  I did the same thing yesterday, the only difference would be the upgraded UD.   

Thank you for your help.

2 hours ago, dbrown2 said:

Hi, i upgraded UD (noticed this AM) and then read through your above texts.  I did the following to resolve the issue:

went into settings of UD, change security from public to no for both SMB (apply), then NFS (apply)
went to main menu option then went to both drive and mount and selected the gear and "disabled" share and pressed done went back into the gear for the drive and share was back enabled I clicked done again.  I did the same for the mount.   

i then tested the through windows 10 and the mount is shared.  I did the same thing yesterday, the only difference would be the upgraded UD.   

Thank you for your help.

Once UD is setup to share devices, it shouldn't be necessary to do your steps.  Unfortunately, there might be a case where the settings may need a refresh.

Hi.  I recently installed the UD plugin to try to mount an external hard and SMB shared folder. However, ever since I installed the application, it won't stop "loading" under the drives section. I've added a shared folder as well and got  "success!" pop-up, but that is not listed either.  Please help me fix this.

image.thumb.png.815957ec415fc199d498fe027b8773ae.png

14 minutes ago, The Don said:

Hi.  I recently installed the UD plugin to try to mount an external hard and SMB shared folder. However, ever since I installed the application, it won't stop "loading" under the drives section. I've added a shared folder as well and got  "success!" pop-up, but that is not listed either.  Please help me fix this.

image.thumb.png.815957ec415fc199d498fe027b8773ae.png

Post diagnostics.

44 minutes ago, DavidN said:

Changed "Enable SMB security" to "Public", and all is as it was.

Actually a change was made a long time ago to default SMB Security off.  It used to be that SMB Security off would be Public access, but because of security concerns, SMB Security defaults to off (disabled) and has to be set to the security level you want.  Public is a security level,  Off is disabled and not a security level.

Snippet of the Change Log:

- Add: 'Public' setting to SMB Security settings to share devices public.  The 'No' setting used to set 'Public' sharing.

Either you didn't notice till now, or you haven't updated for 7+ months.

1 hour ago, DavidN said:

Is there to be an update that fixes it?

No.  Update often and read the Change Notes.  Set the security level to the one you want, or off for disabled.

6 minutes ago, The Don said:

Stupid thing to say, but I have no idea what Dev 1 is under unassigned devices. Dev 2 is the drive I'm trying to mount.

It's a physical disk formatted with a bfrts file system connected by sata cable.

Go to the Settings->Unassigned Devices and set SMB Security off for the moment.  You don't have any users defined for Private security:

Feb 20 12:31:02 MilkyWay unassigned.devices: Error: No valid smb users defined. Share '/mnt/disks/172551804235' cannot be accessed.

That shouldn't hang UD, but I'll do some testing.

Do this:

• Turn off SMB Security for now.
  • Remove the My_Passport USB disk.
  • Shutdown your server.
  • Find the 250GB 'sdh' disk and remove it.
  • Restart the server.
  • Re-install UD.
  • Plug in your My_passport disk.
  • Report back.
27 minutes ago, dlandon said:

It's a physical disk formatted with a bfrts file system connected by sata cable.

Go to the Settings->Unassigned Devices and set SMB Security off for the moment.  You don't have any users defined for Private security:

Feb 20 12:31:02 MilkyWay unassigned.devices: Error: No valid smb users defined. Share '/mnt/disks/172551804235' cannot be accessed.

That shouldn't hang UD, but I'll do some testing.

Do this:

• Turn off SMB Security for now.
  • Remove the My_Passport USB disk.
  • Shutdown your server.
  • Find the 250GB 'sdh' disk and remove it.
  • Restart the server.
  • Re-install UD.
  • Plug in your My_passport disk.
  • Report back.

Thank you for you help.  I found the culprit 250GB drive and removed it. I followed all of your steps.  Unfortunately, even when I had no unassigned devices plugged in the machine, when I installed the UD plugin, it is still continuously loading.  I tried plugging in the passport anyways as in the directions, but for whatever reason, the plugin is still hanging.

18 minutes ago, The Don said:

Thank you for you help.  I found the culprit 250GB drive and removed it. I followed all of your steps.  Unfortunately, even when I had no unassigned devices plugged in the machine, when I installed the UD plugin, it is still continuously loading.  I tried plugging in the passport anyways as in the directions, but for whatever reason, the plugin is still hanging.

Post one more diagnostics for me without the USB drive plugged in.

2 minutes ago, The Don said:

Here you are.  Thank you for your help.

You left the MyPassport connected.  I didn't want it connected.

UD shouldn't be hanging up when there are no disks to display.

Try this:

• Remove UD.
  • Remove the USB MyPassport disk.
  • Delete the /flash/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/ folder.
  • Install UD and see if it constantly shows the Unraid wave.
7 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Try this:

• Remove UD.

Funny thing is, it was completely removed.  However, you are absolutely right... for some reason it is still listed under unassigned devices (with the plug-in) uninstalled.  I'll follow your steps and reboot the server for good measure and report back.

2 minutes ago, The Don said:

Funny thing is, it was completely removed.  However, you are absolutely right... for some reason it is still listed under unassigned devices (with the plug-in) uninstalled.  I'll follow your steps and reboot the server for good measure and report back.

I believe I saw in your diagnostics, you are using Marvel disk controllers.  They have been troublesome in the past.  I'd like @JorgeBto weight in on this issue because I see some strange disk designations.

19 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Try this:

• Remove UD.

SUCCESS!!!

I had to physically remove the flash drive and put it in my computer to delete the app data as you directed.  It's working perfectly now.  Thank you!