Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

13 minutes ago, Roxelchen said:

Is anyone else having problems with "Add root share" ? It used to work for me in the past but now the share wont show up on my systems. I have deleted and created the root share and it is currently mounted but i cant see it.

Be sure to set SMB Sharing in the UD settings to share with SMB the security you want to use.  It defaults to disabled.  Be sure to set the root share to "Share".

• Like 1
On 6/1/2023 at 5:28 PM, dlandon said:

The server may be running, but it is not responding to a ping.  After the server is booted can you eventually mount the remote share?  If you can, the network and/or server needs more time.  You can set a delay before mounting remote shares in UD settings.

If the 'Mount' button stays grayed out and you can't mount the remote share, the remote server is not responding to a ping.

Hi, been looking but I can't find a solution. I'm trying to mount a folder on an off-site Synology. The Synology is live, 139,445 are port forwarded but there is no response to pings. (I can mount my test Synology to the off-site Syno with no problem ... UD SMB can see the folders when I do a search)

Is there are way to force it to mount and bypass the ping check?

Thanks Andy

Another Issue. I will mount a QNAP but Unassigned Devices can't mount this. He/UD shows is online Green Bubble with NAS Name and NAS IP.

I became this in Syslog:

Event: Unraid Status
Subject: syslog error fail
Description: Jun 10 03:31:33 Unraidservername kernel: CIFS: VFS: Error connecting to socket. Aborting operation.
Jun 10 03:31:33 Unraidservername kernel: CIFS: VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -4
Jun 10 03:31:33 Unraidservername unassigned.devices: SMB 3.1.1 mount failed: 'command timed out'.
Jun 10 03:31:43 Unraidservername kernel: CIFS: VFS: Error connecting to socket. Aborting operation.
Jun 10 03:31:43 Unraidservername kernel: CIFS: VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -4
Jun 10 03:31:43 Unraidservername unassigned.devices: SMB 3.0 mount failed: 'command timed out'.
Jun 10 03:31:53 Unraidservername kernel: CIFS: VFS: Error connecting to socket. Aborting operation.
Jun 10 03:31:53 Unraidservername kernel: CIFS: VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -4
Jun 10 03:31:53 Unraidservername unassigned.devices: SMB 2.0 mount failed: 'command timed out'.
Jun 10 03:32:03 Unraidservername kernel: CIFS: VFS: Error connecting to socket. Aborting operation.
Jun 10 03:32:03 Unraidservername kernel: CIFS: VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -4
Jun 10 03:32:03 Unraidservername unassigned.devices: SMB 1.0 mount failed: 'command timed out'.
Jun 10 03:32:03 Unraidservername unassigned.devices: Share '//NAS1name/Backup-Unraid' failed to mount.
Importance: alert

Edited by Revan335
44 minutes ago, Revan335 said:

I have the Issue when I unplug the USB Device (Backup Disk 1) without unmount in Unassigned Devices and Plug In Backup Disk 2 (same Model and Name Mount ...) the Device is locked until the Reboot of Unraid.

That's the way Linux handles an unclean unmount.  A reboot is about the only way to fix it.  UD can't do anything about that.

5 hours ago, Revan335 said:

Any Way for Auto Umount by no Activity after Backup and mount on Time x for example 23:45?

UD won't unmount a disk unless done by a user or in a script.  Unmounting by no activity is not a good idea.  What you should do is unmount the disk in your backup script when it is done.

What is you use case?  You should be able to handle this in your script.

1 hour ago, Revan335 said:

With another Unraid Server and Multichannel and SMB Extra its working. UD can find the QNAP NAS und mounted successful.

I send this Diagnostic too.

I wish you'd have told me that sooner.  What are the differences between the servers?  Are both on the same local network with the QNAP?  Any access through Wirequard?

2 hours ago, Revan335 said:

With another Unraid Server and Multichannel and SMB Extra its working. UD can find the QNAP NAS und mounted successful.

I send this Diagnostic too.

On the system that works, I am amazed it works at all.  You have a lot of network down messages in the log:

Jun 16 18:49:40 Lucy unassigned.devices: Successfully mounted '//NASCEB6D5/Backup-Unraid' on '/mnt/remotes/NASCEB6D5_Backup-Unraid'.
Jun 16 18:49:40 Lucy unassigned.devices: Device '//NASCEB6D5/Backup-Unraid' is not set to be shared.
Jun 16 18:50:01 Lucy kernel: igb 0000:04:00.0 eth0: igb: eth0 NIC Link is Up 100 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: RX/TX
Jun 16 18:50:01 Lucy kernel: igb 0000:04:00.0 eth0: Link Speed was downgraded by SmartSpeed
Jun 16 18:50:01 Lucy kernel: bond0: (slave eth0): link status definitely up, 100 Mbps full duplex
Jun 16 18:50:02 Lucy kernel: igb 0000:04:00.0 eth0: igb: eth0 NIC Link is Down
Jun 16 18:50:02 Lucy kernel: bond0: (slave eth0): link status definitely down, disabling slave

Your network appears to be dropping on 'raster':

Jun 14 18:59:55 Raster kernel: igb 0000:04:00.0 eth0: igb: eth0 NIC Link is Down
Jun 14 18:59:55 Raster kernel: bond0: (slave eth0): link status definitely down, disabling slave
Jun 14 18:59:55 Raster kernel: device eth0 left promiscuous mode
Jun 14 18:59:55 Raster kernel: bond0: now running without any active interface!
Jun 14 18:59:55 Raster kernel: br0: port 1(bond0) entered disabled state
Jun 14 18:59:56 Raster  dhcpcd[1542]: br0: carrier lost
Jun 14 19:00:01 Raster kernel: igb 0000:04:00.0 eth0: igb: eth0 NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: RX
Jun 14 19:00:01 Raster kernel: bond0: (slave eth0): link status definitely up, 1000 Mbps full duplex
Jun 14 19:00:01 Raster kernel: bond0: (slave eth0): making interface the new active one

I don't think you've done any network configurayion on 'raster'.  You should, and I would recommend you assign a static IP address.

Do this:

• Confirm your network settings on both servers.
  • Work on getting rid of the network errors on both servers.
  • Check the rest of your network setup (cables, switch, router, etc).

I think the network errors are causing your issues.

• Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, comet424 said:

hi

i added a 2TB nvme  to my backup server... and i formated to btfs as i plan to add a 2nd in mirror  but wanted it setup and files put on it first...  but i cant mount it...  the mount word is grayed out  and there is 2 warrnings in the logs  

i tried formating then in xfs  but still un mountable

backupserver-diagnostics-20230616-1444.zip 97.48 kB · 0 downloads

A mirror per UD? I don't know of the function exist.

A nvme likes a Cache Pool the better Place as a UD.

37 minutes ago, comet424 said:

hi

i added a 2TB nvme  to my backup server... and i formated to btfs as i plan to add a 2nd in mirror  but wanted it setup and files put on it first...  but i cant mount it...  the mount word is grayed out  and there is 2 warrnings in the logs  

i tried formating then in xfs  but still un mountable

backupserver-diagnostics-20230616-1444.zip 97.48 kB · 0 downloads

I've seen this before.  Power off the server and re-seat the nvme disk.  Then reformat.

35 minutes ago, dlandon said:

I wish you'd have told me that sooner.  What are the differences between the servers?  Are both on the same local network with the QNAP?  Any access through Wirequard?

Sorry, I have tried this to time set i posted it and wondered about the function.

Yes, the same network. No, VPN/Wireguard. This came through my Router if needed not from the Unraid Server.

OK, i tried with a Static IP on booth Servers.

Many Thanks!

thats what i mean ...  

currently  my main server has 2 nvmes   ones like 1tb and noother is a 500gb  

1tb is for VMs and the 500 is for appdata

what i wanna do is change it to  

2 2TB mirror    as a pool so vms and appdata are on the same drive mirrored

but in the mean time  since Balance Plugin  doesnt do  pools  to transfer files  

i shoved the 2TB drive in my backup server..  then i wanted to transfer  the VMS over the network from the main server  and then the appdata... and then add then change it out on the Main server.. and then when i got the 2nd  2TB drive i was going ti mirror  so i have redundancy...

but currently i cant mount the drive and i got those 2 warnings