Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

Yes, I do not mount them when passing-through, I also mark them as pass-through in UD prior so I don't accidently mount and pass at the same time.

I'm trying to understand, why did I need to press the two-arrow button? I thought that every time I open the MAIN tab UD does a refresh automatically, isn't that the case? What does the two-arrow button do that the MAIN tab refresh doesn't? Just trying to understand.

Also, how often should I use this button?

Thanks again for all the help!

On 9/21/2023 at 4:11 PM, dlandon said:

UD does not make configuration file changes.  Removing and then re-adding a remote share is not that difficult.

Breaking changes are generally unwelcome.Nobody said it is difficult. It is just not good UX, as it becomes tedious with a lrger number of shares being mounted (e.g. for backup reasons). We may agree to differ in opinion.

Tried to start a new thread but for some reason plugin support is greyed out in the list of forums for me to do so in. 

Strange issue for a newbie. I have setup a new unraid server and have been using a combination of:

1x 1tb USB portable drive,

1x 3.5" hdd plugged in via a usb adapter

1x 240gb ssd (currently has a windows on it, but intention is to clear it and mount it as a second cache)

1x 3tb drive plugged into one of the mobo sata ports

1x bluray/dvd drive plugged into one of the mobo sata ports. 

For some reason the 1tb portable drive still appears in unassigned devices when i plug it in, but the other devices no longer appear when i plug them in. It doesn't seem to matter if i plug them into the mobo directly, or using the adapter. The 3tb drive was plugged in for several days and was fine, but as a test I unplugged it earlier and now it doesn't seem to be detected when plugged back in. 

All of the devices have appeared in the unassigned devices list previously.

Steps taken so far are to uninstall and reinstall the 3 unassigned devices apps, and to remove the now not recognised devices from the history in the hope that may allow them to appear again. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If you need any logs then let me know, although I would appreciate some guidance on where to get them from and how as I am still a newbie to unraid 😁. I have tried looking/searching through some of the other posts but couldn't see anything that matched my issue.

Thanks in advance.

Col

39 minutes ago, keeweeman said:

for some reason plugin support

Because you are supposed to post in the thread that already exists for the plugin you want support for.

This isn't really about UD though. 

USB not recommended for array or pools for many reasons including the problems you are experiencing. 

20 minutes ago, trurl said:

Because you are supposed to post in the thread that already exists for the plugin you want support for.

This isn't really about UD though. 

USB not recommended for array or pools for many reasons including the problems you are experiencing. 

No problem on the plugin support, that would make sense!

If not about UD then what is it about? All of the above were showing up in UD before and now none of them will bar the dedicated portable drive. This strikes me that a/ I have done something to mess up a setting somewhere (highly likely), or b/ it is just that I need to clear a cache folder somewhere and it should then work again (or something on those lines). 

USB is only being use for data transfer onto the actual pool, and will not form part of the array once that is done. I am shifting across from using windows 10 as a home server to unraid. The 3tb drive is to be precleared and added to the pool having been plumbed in to the motherboard, and the 240gb ssd will also be an internal drive and used as part of the cache pool. In the short term I could do with the dvd drive being available (this will then be replaced by the above ssd once I have finished what I need it for due to only having 6 sata ports on the mobo). 

I have held off until now in terms of preclearing the 3tb drive simply because it is the one drive that still has all of the data I want to store on the server in one place, but I think I have now managed to sort a copy of the final couple of folders from it that I want a backup of "just in case". Can always guarantee that the drive in my main pc with all the photos and docs on will fail at the exact moment I hit preclear on the disk that has them all backed up to 🤣.

2 hours ago, keeweeman said:

If not about UD then what is it about? All of the above were showing up in UD before and now none of them will bar the dedicated portable drive. This strikes me that a/ I have done something to mess up a setting somewhere (highly likely), or b/ it is just that I need to clear a cache folder somewhere and it should then work again (or something on those lines). 

Try the following:

• Click on the double arrows on the upper right of the UD webpage to see if the USB devices are discovered.
  • Reboot your server and see if the USB devices ahow again.  Leave them unplugged during reboot.
  • Try different USB ports.
  • Check USB cables.
  • Check BIOS settings for USB devices.
  • If issues persist, post diagnostics.
53 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Try the following:

• Click on the double arrows on the upper right of the UD webpage to see if the USB devices are discovered.
  • Reboot your server and see if the USB devices ahow again.  Leave them unplugged during reboot.
  • Try different USB ports.
  • Check USB cables.
  • Check BIOS settings for USB devices.
  • If issues persist, post diagnostics.

Thanks dlandon. I have tried the removing, then rebooting and reinstalling the internal 3tb drive using a different cable to a different sata port on the mobo, and the same issue persists. 

Is there a particular diagnostic file I should upload? I have downloaded them, but there is loads of files

1 minute ago, keeweeman said:

Thanks dlandon. I have tried the removing, then rebooting and reinstalling the internal 3tb drive using a different cable to a different sata port on the mobo, and the same issue persists. 

If it's a sata port you're having trouble with, check your disk power cables and see if the BIOS sees the drive.

18 minutes ago, dlandon said:

If it's a sata port you're having trouble with, check your disk power cables and see if the BIOS sees the drive.

I don't think there is a fault with the sata port tbh, like i say the drives were all working fine through both the sata (portable drive aside as that is usb only), and now they don't seem to work whether installed internally or through the usb adapter. It's very strange. I have however, just had some success with the 3tb drive, that seems to have reappeared after I plugged a monitor in to try and see the drives in the bios, I had left it plugged in and it seems to have been picked back up. I have just started the preclear on that and will add it to the array when it is done. Then will try a reboot with the dvd drive installed and see if whatever I have done in the last half hour has somehow fixed things

Error when using NFSv4 to mount remote paths with Unassigned Devices plugins.

Fixing method:

1. Unassigned Devices plugins "NFS Version to use when Mounting Remote Shares" Seting: Auto

2. Remove the `noac` parameter when mounting a remote path.

Is it possible to add custom '--types' mount parameters for the Unassigned Devices plugins? In the current version, I couldn't find any relevant options. If there are any, please let me know. Thank you.

Environment Information:

• unRIAD version: 6.12.4
  • NFS Server IP Address: 192.168.1.20
  • NFS Clinet IP Address: 192.168.1.10
  • Unassigned Devices plugins version: 2023.09.15
  • Unassigned Devices plugins "NFS Version to use when Mounting Remote Shares" Seting: NFSv4

NFS Server:

1. NFS server 'appdata' shared folder NFS configuration parameters.

192.168.1.10/32(rw,async,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check,fsid=100)

2. Use the 'exportfs -v' command to view detailed information on the NFS server.

exportfs -v
/mnt/user/appdata 192.168.1.10/32(async,wdelay,hide,no_subtree_check,fsid=100,sec=sys,rw,secure,no_root_squash,no_all_squash)

NFS Clinet: 

1. The execution log when mounting paths using the 'unassigned.devices' plugin on the client side.

Sep 26 22:14:13 unRAID ool www[1691]: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unassigned.devices/scripts/rc.settings 'save'
Sep 26 22:14:26 unRAID unassigned.devices: Mounting Remote Share '192.168.1.20:/mnt/user/appdata/nextcloud/nextcloud-data'...
Sep 26 22:14:26 unRAID unassigned.devices: Mount NFS command: /sbin/mount -t 'nfs4' -o rw,soft,noac,noatime,nodiratime,retrans=4,timeo=300 '192.168.1.20:/mnt/user/appdata/nextcloud/nextcloud-data' '/test'
Sep 26 22:14:26 unRAID unassigned.devices: NFS mount failed: 'mount.nfs4: mounting 192.168.1.20:/mnt/user/appdata/nextcloud/nextcloud-data failed, reason given by server: No such file or directory '.
Sep 26 22:14:26 unRAID unassigned.devices: Remote Share '192.168.1.20:/mnt/user/appdata/nextcloud/nextcloud-data' failed to mount.

2. Manually execute 'mount' on the client side.

root@unRAID:/test# /sbin/mount -vvv -t 'nfs4' -o rw,soft,noac,noatime,nodiratime,retrans=4,timeo=300 '192.168.1.20:/mnt/user/appdata/nextcloud/nextcloud-data' '/test'

mount.nfs4: timeout set for Tue Sep 26 22:28:24 2023
mount.nfs4: trying text-based options 'soft,noac,retrans=4,timeo=300,vers=4.2,addr=192.168.1.20,clientaddr=192.168.1.10'
mount.nfs4: mount(2): Invalid argument
mount.nfs4: trying text-based options 'soft,noac,retrans=4,timeo=300,vers=4,minorversion=1,addr=192.168.1.20,clientaddr=192.168.1.10'
mount.nfs4: trying text-based options 'soft,noac,retrans=4,timeo=300,vers=4,addr=192.168.1.20,clientaddr=192.168.1.10'
mount.nfs4: mount(2): No such file or directory
mount.nfs4: mounting 192.168.1.20:/mnt/user/appdata/nextcloud/nextcloud-data failed, reason given by server: No such file or directory

3. Remove the `noac` parameter from the mount command and execute it.

root@unRAID:/test# /sbin/mount -vvv -t 'nfs4' -o rw,soft,noatime,nodiratime,retrans=4,timeo=300 '192.168.1.20:/mnt/user/appdata/nextcloud/nextcloud-data' '/test'

mount.nfs4: timeout set for Tue Sep 26 22:29:42 2023
mount.nfs4: trying text-based options 'soft,retrans=4,timeo=300,vers=4.2,addr=192.168.1.20,clientaddr=192.168.1.10'
mount.nfs4: trying text-based options 'soft,retrans=4,timeo=300,vers=4,minorversion=1,addr=192.168.1.20,clientaddr=192.168.1.10'
mount.nfs4: trying text-based options 'soft,retrans=4,timeo=300,vers=4,addr=192.168.1.20,clientaddr=192.168.1.10'
192.168.1.20:/mnt/user/appdata/nextcloud/nextcloud-data on /test type nfs4 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,soft,retrans=4,timeo=300)

4. Show mount info

root@unRAID:/test# df -Th
Filesystem                                              Type       Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs                                                  rootfs     3.8G  115M  3.7G   3% /
tmpfs                                                   tmpfs       32M  704K   32M   3% /run
/dev/sda1                                               vfat        16G  457M   15G   3% /boot
overlay                                                 overlay    3.8G  115M  3.7G   3% /lib
overlay                                                 overlay    3.8G  115M  3.7G   3% /usr
devtmpfs                                                devtmpfs   8.0M     0  8.0M   0% /dev
tmpfs                                                   tmpfs      3.9G     0  3.9G   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs                                                   tmpfs      128M  2.7M  126M   3% /var/log
tmpfs                                                   tmpfs      1.0M     0  1.0M   0% /mnt/disks
tmpfs                                                   tmpfs      1.0M     0  1.0M   0% /mnt/remotes
tmpfs                                                   tmpfs      1.0M     0  1.0M   0% /mnt/addons
tmpfs                                                   tmpfs      1.0M     0  1.0M   0% /mnt/rootshare
/dev/md1p1                                              xfs        239G   18G  221G   8% /mnt/disk1
shfs                                                    fuse.shfs  239G   18G  221G   8% /mnt/user0
shfs                                                    fuse.shfs  239G   18G  221G   8% /mnt/user
/dev/loop2                                              btrfs       10G  317M  8.8G   4% /var/lib/docker
/dev/loop3                                              btrfs      1.0G  4.6M  904M   1% /etc/libvirt
tmpfs                                                   tmpfs      781M     0  781M   0% /run/user/0
192.168.1.20:/mnt/user/appdata/nextcloud/nextcloud-data nfs4       239G   60G  180G  25% /test

PS:I was able to successfully mount using the same parameters on the CentOS 7.3 system."

[root@rbtnode1 ~]# mount -vvv -t 'nfs4' -o rw,soft,noac,noatime,nodiratime,retrans=4,timeo=300 192.168.1.1:/data3/jboss /test

mount.nfs4: timeout set for Tue Sep 26 23:17:12 2023
mount.nfs4: trying text-based options 'soft,noac,retrans=4,timeo=300,vers=4.1,addr=192.168.1.1,clientaddr=192.168.1.2'

[root@rbtnode1 /]# df -Th
tmpfs                    tmpfs     1.6G     0  1.6G    0% /run/user/0
192.168.1.1:/data3/jboss nfs4      1.0T   96G  928G   10% /test

Edited by haeho

Hi,

I'm having an issue with Unraid that looks like it's coming from this plugin. Essentially, after using Unraid for a while, the entire Dashboard ends up stalling, I've attached a screenshot. The only way to get it working again is by opening up Incognito mode which seems like it "resets" everything.

I've had a look at the Developer Console and their are hundreds of POST calls being made to UnassignedDevices.php that are essentially waiting for responses, and not getting any. A new call every few seconds. After a while everything eventually clears up and all the calls receive their responses and the page loads, but it can sometimes take a while. I've attached a screenshot of what I'm describing.

Any clue how to fix this? Is there no way to have UD not stall the rest of the Unraid Dashboard while it's loading? Where does this issue come from?

Thanks!

Screenshot 2023-09-20 at 08.49.42.png

Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 17.23.06.png

23 minutes ago, haeho said:

Error when using NFSv4 to mount remote paths with Unassigned Devices plugins.

Fixing method:

1. Unassigned Devices plugins "NFS Version to use when Mounting Remote Shares" Seting: Auto

2. Remove the `noac` parameter when mounting a remote path.

I'm reviewing the mount parameters and will probably remove the 'noac'.

1 hour ago, dlandon said:

I'm reviewing the mount parameters and will probably remove the 'noac'.

Ok, I'm not sure if this is an issue with the unRAID 6.12.4 system or the Unassigned Devices plugins. To facilitate troubleshooting, I'm providing the steps to reproduce the issue here.

1. Set the "NFS Version to use when Mounting Remote Shares" option of the NFS client's Unassigned Devices plugin to NFSv4.

2. Assuming the current status of the NFS client's remote path mounting from the NFS server is normal (Note: In case the described mounting issue occurs, it is necessary to first restart the unRAID system on the NFS client).

3. Click the `UMOUNT` button in the Unassigned Devices plugin on the NFS client to unmount.

4. Stop the disk array on the NFS server and restart the server's unRAID system.

5. Wait for the NFS server's unRAID system to fully start up.

6. Click the `MOUNT` button in the Unassigned Devices plugin on the NFS client.

7. At this point, the NFS client is expected to encounter a mounting error.

2 minutes ago, pr4w said:

Currently no devices at all, nothing is plugged in... 

Click the double arrows on the upper right of the UD web page.  If that doesn't solve the issue it's probably a historical device.  Please pm me the following files:

• /flash/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/iso_mount.cfg
  • /flash/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/samba_mount.cfg
  • /flash/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/unassigned.devices.cfg
16 hours ago, dlandon said:

Why is it expected to encounter a mounting error?  What would be the error?

I don't know why the error occurs, the exception message thrown is the same as described before. After the NFS server unRAID system is restarted, the NFS client cannot use the NFSv4  + 'noac' parameter to mount the remote path.

Hello,

I have a Mac with a partition shared. In unraid appear online under SMB share but I have this errors:
 kernel: CIFS: VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -13 

I triple checked the credentials, remount the partition, but still get this error.

In mac I have share file active, in options the account is activated with the same password. 

I don't know where ir the problem, when I search for servers in Add Remote Shares, did not show anything but adding manually the server appears online.

Thanks in advice.

5 hours ago, kowe said:

kernel: CIFS: VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -13

In Linux, return code -13 usually corresponds to the error code EACCES, which stands for "Permission denied". This implies that the system does not have the necessary permissions to access or mount the CIFS share.

It could be credentials or permission settings.  Try to use credentials that don't use special characters.

59 minutes ago, dlandon said:

In Linux, return code -13 usually corresponds to the error code EACCES, which stands for "Permission denied". This implies that the system does not have the necessary permissions to access or mount the CIFS share.

It could be credentials or permission settings.  Try to use credentials that don't use special characters.

I think is a permission setting or something like that, I was using the same credentials and configuration on the Mac, the only difference is a clean install of Sonoma.