Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

29 minutes ago, GeekMajic said:

Sorry, I'm a newb with this plugin. I plugged two SATA drives from my old server into the new server. I want to use UD to mount the drives so I move the data to the array. They're both the same model drive, but only one is being recognized by UD. What am I missing?

Does your BIOS see both drives?

I posted this under the preclear thread but I think this might be a better spot. 

Here are my logs.  I can see the drive under Unassigned Devices but Preclear isn't doing anything it just say Please wait... retrieving information

What am I doing wrong?  I can't click on anything sdh, or the drive serial number.  Do I need to turn on Destructive Mode?, I just read that.  I would like to get this new drive cleared to replace one that is giving me issues.  Even if I just go to Tools, Settings and click on preclear I still get Please wait... retrieving information

drive.png

tower-diagnostics-20170309-1942.zip

tower-syslog-20170313-0845.zip

Edited by squirrellydw

Hi. I have successfully installed, created a single ext4 partition and mounted an SSD from Unassigned Devices that I can use from my Win 7 VM. However I am having an issue trying to rename the mount point (ext4 partition). When I have the partition unmounted and select it, I can type in the new name via the box that appears. But when I hit enter, the name does not take and goes back to the original long name. I have been scanning the threads here looking for info on this (I'm still a newb to unraid) but have found nothing. Does anybody have any idea(s) what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks!!

18 hours ago, squirrellydw said:

I posted this under the preclear thread but I think this might be a better spot. 

Here are my logs.  I can see the drive under Unassigned Devices but Preclear isn't doing anything it just say Please wait... retrieving information

What am I doing wrong?  I can't click on anything sdh, or the drive serial number.  Do I need to turn on Destructive Mode?, I just read that.  I would like to get this new drive cleared to replace one that is giving me issues.  Even if I just go to Tools, Settings and click on preclear I still get Please wait... retrieving information

drive.png

tower-diagnostics-20170309-1942.zip

tower-syslog-20170313-0845.zip

You will have to turn on destructive mode to format the drive.  The "Please wait..." is a preclear message and not UD.

9 hours ago, manorfan said:

Hi. I have successfully installed, created a single ext4 partition and mounted an SSD from Unassigned Devices that I can use from my Win 7 VM. However I am having an issue trying to rename the mount point (ext4 partition). When I have the partition unmounted and select it, I can type in the new name via the box that appears. But when I hit enter, the name does not take and goes back to the original long name. I have been scanning the threads here looking for info on this (I'm still a newb to unraid) but have found nothing. Does anybody have any idea(s) what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks!!

What are you trying to enter as the new name?

2 hours ago, dlandon said:

That should work.  Don't enter the /mnt/disks. Just the name and press enter.

Yeah, it goes all the way through the process but won't save the change when I press enter. I've tried with AUTOMOUNT and SHARE settings ON and OFF. Also no dockers or VM's running. Also tried stopping the array. Still the same reaction.It goes back to the original name.

SSD Rename Trimmed 2.png

58c84ac736a7d_SSDRenameUUIDNametrimmed.thumb.png.9a6366d9259f50a9a5086ca5aca61ea5.png

Edited by manorfan
20 minutes ago, manorfan said:

Yeah, it goes all the way through the process but won't save the change when I press enter. I've tried with AUTOMOUNT and SHARE settings ON and OFF. Also no dockers or VM's running. Also tried stopping the array. Still the same reaction.It goes back to the original name.

SSD Rename Trimmed 2.png

58c84ac736a7d_SSDRenameUUIDNametrimmed.thumb.png.9a6366d9259f50a9a5086ca5aca61ea5.png

You are running an older version of the plugin.  Please update to the latest.

14 hours ago, manorfan said:

Yes, that was it. Thank You.!!

The version of UD you were running is not compatible with unRAID 6.3 because of some security changes made to unRAID.  If you look at your syslog you will see some errors concerning "csrf_token".

Before asking for help on any plugins, be sure you have updated to the latest version of the plugin.  This saves you some headaches and time from everyone on supporting an incompatibility solved by a plugin update.

So for about a week, I had a SSD that I use for my deluge downloads inside my array. Always wondering why it was so damn slow.

After a bit of research I decided to use the Unassigned Devices plugin to mount my SSD outside the array. This seems to be the right way to do it. Almost everything is working properly now. I've routed my downloads to this device.

The only feature I miss from the user shares built into unRAID that I can't seem to replicate on UD's smb share implementation is the option to export the share both public and hidden (without a password). To be honest, password protected would be fine too but I have no idea how to access the password protected share from Windows. Like, I know I can create a new user on unraid that has access to this share.. But where do I note that I want this protected share to be accessible by said user?

To summarize, I want either:

A) an unprotected but hidden network share through my Unassigned device or

B) a protected SMB share on the UD but to know how to login to it and access through windows 10

The first pic is an example of the kind of functionality I'd like with choice A. The second pic is the options I'm given with Unassigned_Devices.

C14z3l2.png

d.png

1 hour ago, pro9c3 said:

So for about a week, I had a SSD that I use for my deluge downloads inside my array. Always wondering why it was so damn slow.

If it was part of the parity protected array, it was limited by the speed of the parity drive, and couldn't be properly trimmed. The normal solution to this is to assign it to the cache slot, that way you maintain full share control and participation. Using UD to mount it will work to some extent, but that's not really the primary reason UD was developed.

1 minute ago, jonathanm said:

If it was part of the parity protected array, it was limited by the speed of the parity drive, and couldn't be properly trimmed. The normal solution to this is to assign it to the cache slot, that way you maintain full share control and participation. Using UD to mount it will work to some extent, but that's not really the primary reason UD was developed.

But when I assign to the cache slot, doesn't it just parity itself with my original cache drive?  Is there any way for the 2 cache drives to serve different purposes and have it as 120+120= 240 gb?

On 3/13/2017 at 4:21 PM, GeekMajic said:

@trurl I'll check again when I get home. Like I said, new hardware so I'll have to find out how to view that via IPMI.

@trurl I found the issue, it turns out I have 2 different models of the same drive and my MB didn't recognize the model of older drives.

Thank you for this plugin!!!!

I decided it was time to upgrade from a Dell GX280 (don't laugh. it's hard to beat free) running unRAID 5 to a Dell PowerEdge 2900 running unRAID 6.

This plugin made migrating data and disk so much easier than I expected it to be and the ability to attach a new disk and it show up almost instantly is epic!

-FE

16 hours ago, pro9c3 said:

After a bit of research I decided to use the Unassigned Devices plugin to mount my SSD outside the array. This seems to be the right way to do it. Almost everything is working properly now. I've routed my downloads to this device.

The only feature I miss from the user shares built into unRAID that I can't seem to replicate on UD's smb share implementation is the option to export the share both public and hidden (without a password). To be honest, password protected would be fine too but I have no idea how to access the password protected share from Windows. Like, I know I can create a new user on unraid that has access to this share.. But where do I note that I want this protected share to be accessible by said user?

To summarize, I want either:

A) an unprotected but hidden network share through my Unassigned device or

B) a protected SMB share on the UD but to know how to login to it and access through windows 10

The first pic is an example of the kind of functionality I'd like with choice A. The second pic is the options I'm given with Unassigned_Devices.

C14z3l2.png

d.png

Looks to me like 'Yes (Hidden)' is a UD choice.

5 hours ago, dlandon said:

Looks to me like 'Yes (Hidden)' is a UD choice.

Well yes, but the 'Yes (Hidden)' choice in UD refers to hidden with security while in user shares, the 'Yes (Hidden)' referred to the exporting (or availability) of the share alone, while security was handled below.

It's okay though, thanks to to jonathanm's help I found an alternate solution.

20 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Thanks, it was foolish of me to not understand this basic functionality first.  I've done this, in fact with all 3 of my SSD's now.  However it seems like a big hassle to have to switch them over from RAID1 to single every time I reset the array, so I may end up just leaving it at RAID1.  360GB is great and all, but hey 180 is still better than 120 (in the raid1 option) with less of a hassle.

Capture.PNG

25 minutes ago, pro9c3 said:

However it seems like a big hassle to have to switch them over from RAID1 to single every time I reset the array

You can add, remove and replace cache pool devices without changing the profile in use, see the FAQ on the general support forum.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

You can add, remove and replace cache pool devices without changing the profile in use, see the FAQ on the general support forum.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place or misinterpreting, but this is the first sentence I see on the FAQ for cache pools: 

Yes, for now it can only be manually changed, new config will stick after a reboot, but note that changing the pool, e.g., adding a device, will return cache pool to default RAID1 mode (you can still change it again after that).

1 minute ago, pro9c3 said:

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place or misinterpreting, but this is the first sentence I see on the FAQ for cache pools: 

I need to update that, the procedures were added later (if you use the GUI it will still change back to raid1), note however that to you can't remove a disk past the minimum number that the profile in use requires, eg, if you have a 8 device raid10 pool you can remove 4 devices without changing the profile, to remove anymore you'll need to convert.

• trurl pinned this topic