Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

Using version 2024.01.17. I am experiencing 2 things

(1) the some Mount buttons are somehow "blocked" or unresponsive (while being shown in orange) for a whole, and then suddenly become responsive. The group of unresponsive buttons changes over time and I have not seen a pattern here, yet. This has not happened in earlier, although I cannot say with which version this behavior was introduced.

(2) in earlier versions file servers were shown as "off" or "grey" indicator if they couldn't be pinged by the plugin. This doesn't seem to be the base with the version mentioned above. Has this behavior been changed again?

1 minute ago, murkus said:

(1) the some Mount buttons are somehow "blocked" or unresponsive (while being shown in orange) for a whole, and then suddenly become responsive. The group of unresponsive buttons changes over time and I have not seen a pattern here, yet. This has not happened in earlier, although I cannot say with which version this behavior was introduced.

The mount/unmount status is showing on the buttons now, where before they weren't.  When there is a lot of activity on UD with page refreshes (i.e. clicking buttons very quickly), the 'Mount' buttons can appear to be not working because button clicks are blocked while the page refreshes.  I also found the button clickable area to be somewhat of an issue and I've been trying to adjust that.  So the issue you are seeing is probably a combination of factors.  For the moment, try not to have multiple GUI sessions open to the Unraid 'Main' tab.  UD is updating even when sitting on any 'Main' tab.

I'm pursuing some additional ideas on this.

9 minutes ago, murkus said:

(2) in earlier versions file servers were shown as "off" or "grey" indicator if they couldn't be pinged by the plugin. This doesn't seem to be the base with the version mentioned above. Has this behavior been changed again?

Remote servers are no longer ping'd.  UD checks the remote server to have the appropriate port for either SMB or NFS open.  If UD finds the port open, it is considered on-line.

I don't understand "changed again".  Since day one, UD has ping'd remote servers.

2 minutes ago, dlandon said:

The mount/unmount status is showing on the buttons now, where before they weren't.  When there is a lot of activity on UD with page refreshes (i.e. clicking buttons very quickly), the 'Mount' buttons can appear to be not working because button clicks are blocked while the page refreshes.  I also found the button clickable area to be somewhat of an issue and I've been trying to adjust that.  So the issue you are seeing is probably a combination of factors.  For the moment, try not to have multiple GUI sessions open to the Unraid 'Main' tab.  UD is updating even when sitting on any 'Main' tab.

I'm pursuing some additional ideas on this.

Remote servers are no longer ping'd.  UD checks the remote server to have the appropriate port for either SMB or NFS open.  If UD finds the port open, it is considered on-line.

I don't understand "changed again".  Since day one, UD has ping'd remote servers.

It may well be that UD was pinging servers, but if servers didn't respond to the ECHO request this did not have any consequences on the UI, the servers were not shown as "down". Later versions then set the server as down when not reachable and the mount wouldn't work. At that point I did not only need to allow SMB and NFS gthrough the firewall, but also ECHO requests. Now I realized that missing ECHO responses didnt have any consequences on the UI any more, as it was the case in early versions.

This is why I said: again

This is my perception and experience. You may disagree. Just explaining.

Trying to pre-clear a brand-new disk and the red X does not appear alongside the serial number. There is a 'format' box.

I downloaded the Unassigned Device + addon and enabled destructive mode but that didn't have any effect.

Server is running 6.12.6.

Thanks in advance for any help

5 minutes ago, PFT1 said:

Trying to pre-clear a brand-new disk and the red X does not appear alongside the serial number. There is a 'format' box.

I downloaded the Unassigned Device + addon and enabled destructive mode but that didn't have any effect.

Server is running 6.12.6.

Thanks in advance for any help

Go to the prelear page and see what it shows.

Post a screen shot of the UD page showing the disk.

URGENT help please.

I just swapped 2 XFS SSDs from my old NAS to my new UNRAID server. One of the 4 TB SSDs is detected and mountable, the other shows 'partition' and I cant mount it. Any ideas why?

Thank you

image.png.6536ce5493a774f02b5c0bee373233ab.png

Edited by mikeyosm
46 minutes ago, mikeyosm said:

URGENT help please.

I just swapped 2 XFS SSDs from my old NAS to my new UNRAID server. One of the 4 TB SSDs is detected and mountable, the other shows 'partition' and I cant mount it. Any ideas why?

Thank you

image.png.6536ce5493a774f02b5c0bee373233ab.png

That means the disk has a file system without a partition.  UD can't mount a file system without a partition.

Your options:

• Mount the disk in the old NAS and use UD to mount it as a remote share and copy data.  This is the preferred way to get your data off safely.
  • Get one of the disk gurus here to show you how to mount it manually and copy the files off.  This is a bit risky so understand you might lose data.
  • Thanks 1

@dlandon i am also having another issue, please can you help?

I am trying to format one of my NVME drives but after it says the format was succcessful (tried XFS and ZFS), I keep getting UDEV and unable to mount.

Here is the log...

Jan 20 18:34:41 MOLAB unassigned.devices: Format device '/dev/nvme0n1'.
Jan 20 18:34:42 MOLAB unassigned.devices: Device '/dev/nvme0n1' block size: 3907029168.
Jan 20 18:34:42 MOLAB unassigned.devices: Clearing partition table of disk '/dev/nvme0n1'.
Jan 20 18:34:44 MOLAB unassigned.devices: Reloading disk '/dev/nvme0n1' partition table.
Jan 20 18:34:44 MOLAB unassigned.devices: Reload partition table result: /dev/nvme0n1:  re-reading partition table
Jan 20 18:34:44 MOLAB unassigned.devices: Creating Unraid compatible mbr partition on disk '/dev/nvme0n1'.
Jan 20 18:34:46 MOLAB unassigned.devices: Reloading disk '/dev/nvme0n1' partition table.
Jan 20 18:34:46 MOLAB kernel: nvme0n1: p1
Jan 20 18:34:46 MOLAB unassigned.devices: Reload partition table result: /dev/nvme0n1:  re-reading partition table
Jan 20 18:34:46 MOLAB unassigned.devices: Formatting disk '/dev/nvme0n1' with 'zfs' filesystem.
Jan 20 18:34:46 MOLAB unassigned.devices: Format drive command: /usr/sbin/zpool create -o compatibility=legacy -o ashift=12 -f 'DATA2' '/dev/nvme0n1p1' 2>&1
Jan 20 18:34:52 MOLAB unassigned.devices: Reloading disk '/dev/nvme0n1' partition table.
Jan 20 18:34:52 MOLAB kernel: nvme0n1: p1
Jan 20 18:34:52 MOLAB unassigned.devices: Reload partition table result: /dev/nvme0n1:  re-reading partition table

image.png.5095296c521c299f8f63c1b49bc16bfe.png

Edited by mikeyosm
18 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Update to the latest version of UD.

Iam on 2024.01.17 - still the same problem. I even took the nvme out and formatted in my Windows PC then deleted the volume, then added it back to my UNRAID host. I just cannot format it in UNRAID.

image.thumb.png.0e540e9c5b25f497c86b7f48081242d6.png

Edited by mikeyosm

Hello,

Attempting to mount a device with UD and unsure as if why it won't mount. It is a disk I pulled from the array formatted as XFS and the plan is to preclear it.
I am running into the following error

Jan 20 14:13:27  unassigned.devices: Error: Device '/dev/sdh1' mount point 'WDC_WD40_EFRX' - name is reserved, used in the array or a pool, or by an unassigned device.
Jan 20 14:13:27  unassigned.devices: Disk with serial 'WDC_WD40_EFRX_ATMM221U3000000001-0:0', mountpoint 'WDC_WD40_EFRX' cannot be mounted.

I was able to mount other disk, however this one is not allowing to mount.
Any ideas?

1 minute ago, bombz said:

Hello,

Attempting to mount a device with UD and unsure as if why it won't mount. It is a disk I pulled from the array formatted as XFS and the plan is to preclear it.
I am running into the following error

Jan 20 14:13:27  unassigned.devices: Error: Device '/dev/sdh1' mount point 'WDC_WD40_EFRX' - name is reserved, used in the array or a pool, or by an unassigned device.
Jan 20 14:13:27  unassigned.devices: Disk with serial 'WDC_WD40_EFRX_ATMM221U3000000001-0:0', mountpoint 'WDC_WD40_EFRX' cannot be mounted.

I was able to mount other disk, however this one is not allowing to mount.
Any ideas?

Click on the mount point and change it.  UD can't mount two disks at the same mount point.

3 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Click on the mount point and change it.  UD can't mount two disks at the same mount point.

Hello,

Thank you for the quick reply. I am not sure what you mean?

Here are the 2 disk, if I try to mount (sdh) I receive the following prompt as stated above

image.png.67a8ce1dd247e4c84bd787bf5437524d.png

But if I mount (sdi) the mount is successful and (sdh) changes to 'reboot'

image.png.cf83f38035ccbcc587820f49207e64d4.png

would you mind clarifying?

Thank you.

Edited by bombz
6 minutes ago, bombz said:

Hello,

Thank you for the quick reply. I am not sure what you mean?

Here are the 2 disk, if I try to mount (sdh) I receive the following prompt as stated above

image.png.67a8ce1dd247e4c84bd787bf5437524d.png

But if I mount (sdi) the mount is successful and (sdh) changes to 'reboot'

image.png.cf83f38035ccbcc587820f49207e64d4.png

would you mind clarifying?

Thank you.

Just under the serial is a blue field.  That is the moumt point.  They are both the same.  Change one by clicking on it when it's unmounted 

2 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Just under the serial is a blue field.  That is the moumt point.  They are both the same.  Change one by clicking on it when it's unmounted 

Hello,

Ahh now I see what you mean. My apologies I have never had to perform a name change to the UD mount point. Seems both disks are now successfully mounted.

image.png.6d273e887e47dec2e72d135d19765968.png

Thank you again for your prompt feedback and assistance, much appreciated! 

2 minutes ago, mikeyosm said:

@dlandon upgraded to latest UD version just now and it has done something to SMB access. I am not able to access some of my SMB shares.

I need more information than what you've given.  What does it mean that you can't access some of your shares?  Show a screen shot.

Just now, dlandon said:

I need more information than what you've given.  What does it mean that you can't access some of your shares?  Show a screen shot.

Only UD shares I cant access. UNRAID array shares are OK. All I did was update the plugin. I cannot access UD shares remotely (from a windows or linux pc). I try and click a folder and nothing happens like it's a permissions issue.