Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

2 hours ago, Hammerfest said:

Sure, all I am doing is removing and adding the add-on.

Will do it when im able this evening.

Understood, but I need to see what udev is seeing in each case.  I cannot reproduce this issue and will need your diagnostis to try to figure it out.

UD+ is only some additional packages installed for additional support.  I doesn't change anything that I know of that would affect what devices udev sees.

6 hours ago, dlandon said:

Understood, but I need to see what udev is seeing in each case.  I cannot reproduce this issue and will need your diagnostis to try to figure it out.

UD+ is only some additional packages installed for additional support.  I doesn't change anything that I know of that would affect what devices udev sees.

Ya, its really weird, and when i add some devices to the array or a pool it magically has other drives pop up in the unassigned devices section, tried different browsers as I mainline firefox due to features it has that others don't, but same behavior.

Will edit this in a few min with the diags for both

withoutUDplug-diagnostics-20240417-1935.zip withUDplug-diagnostics-20240417-1934.zip

Edited by Hammerfest
43 minutes ago, Hammerfest said:

Ya, its really weird, and when i add some devices to the array or a pool it magically has other drives pop up in the unassigned devices section, tried different browsers as I mainline firefox due to features it has that others don't, but same behavior.

Will edit this in a few min with the diags for both

withoutUDplug-diagnostics-20240417-1935.zip 100.56 kB · 0 downloads withUDplug-diagnostics-20240417-1934.zip 100.37 kB · 0 downloads

I guess I misunderstood what you were doing.  Your first screen shot is the stock Unassigned Devices display without the UD plugin being installed.  Your second screen shot is with the UD plugin installed.

The devices are being discovered properly.

You have not setup any array devices and of course your array is not started.  You are in a weird state and I'm not sure that UD is detecting unassigned devices.  Unraid dynamically sets the unassigned devices for UD by assigning the 'devX' designation.  I don't believe UD is keeping up with the Unraid changes in this condition because UD thinks some disks are still assigned to the array.  This is not a situation I've tested before - i.e. no array disks assigned.

Uninstall the UD plugin and set up your array.  Once you'e done that. start the array and then install UD to manage the unassigned disks.  Post back here if you still see issues after doing that.

3 hours ago, dlandon said:

I guess I misunderstood what you were doing.  Your first screen shot is the stock Unassigned Devices display without the UD plugin being installed.  Your second screen shot is with the UD plugin installed.

The devices are being discovered properly.

You have not setup any array devices and of course your array is not started.  You are in a weird state and I'm not sure that UD is detecting unassigned devices.  Unraid dynamically sets the unassigned devices for UD by assigning the 'devX' designation.  I don't believe UD is keeping up with the Unraid changes in this condition because UD thinks some disks are still assigned to the array.  This is not a situation I've tested before - i.e. no array disks assigned.

Uninstall the UD plugin and set up your array.  Once you'e done that. start the array and then install UD to manage the unassigned disks.  Post back here if you still see issues after doing that.

Sorry, guess I was not really clear I guess, before I wiped it, I had 2 drives out of the array, only 1 of them showed in unassigned devices (plugin), but showed up fine when plugin uninstalled.

When I setup my unraid back in 2020~, the first thing I always did was install most of your tools, same hardware, it showed all devices just fine, i only noticed it with the upgrade to 6.12 when i was trying to troubleshoot other issues.

still, the important part is, without the plugin, unassigned devices shows them all,

with the plugin, it shows random selection of devices, if i add a drive to an array or pool unassinged devices plugin will flash in/out and sometimes display a few more, and sometimes a few less, this is all regardless of the array start/stop state

EDIT:

Further testing, added flash drive to array (zfs pool workaround), started array, drives in UD plugin changed but still not all of them, stopped it, added a regular HDD, started, drives in UD plugin again changed, stopped added a second, again drives shown in plugin changed, added two more, changed again, now I at least see one of my SSD's but not both

"I don't believe UD is keeping up with the Unraid changes in this condition because UD thinks some disks are still assigned to the array" this is from a nuked state, drives where secure wiped and have not been setup at all, USB was also secure erased, nothing i can find is from prior installation.

EDIT2:

drunk testing, apparently, hitting the "refresh disks and configuration" button for the plugin adds the disks back one at a time each refresh, AND, it survives a reboot...

diag attached in-case it helps tell you anything helpful in fixing the plugin

gotta set it up for use now, if problem persists in the future, will circle back, TY TY for the great tools making unraid greater!

drunkenUDdiscovery-diagnostics-20240417-2354.zip

Edited by Hammerfest
10 hours ago, Hammerfest said:

still, the important part is, without the plugin, unassigned devices shows them all,

with the plugin, it shows random selection of devices, if i add a drive to an array or pool unassinged devices plugin will flash in/out and sometimes display a few more, and sometimes a few less, this is all regardless of the array start/stop state

Are you using a docking station or drive bay?

New release of UD:

• Fixed a case where UD could potentially cause an unclean shutdown if you have a rootshare mounted.
  • Fixed a few issues related to remote server name lookup.
  • Improved adding remote share to show which protocol you are working with.
7 hours ago, dlandon said:

New release of UD:

• Fixed a case where UD could potentially cause an unclean shutdown if you have a rootshare mounted.
  • Fixed a few issues related to remote server name lookup.
  • Improved adding remote share to show which protocol you are working with.

I updated my plugin today to the latest version and now when adding a nfs share, it also is asking about samba directly after. Wont let me skip it or anything.

11 hours ago, XFL said:

I updated my plugin today to the latest version and now when adding a nfs share, it also is asking about samba directly after. Wont let me skip it or anything.

Fixed in latest release.  Update again,

On 4/15/2024 at 12:53 AM, dlandon said:

I was finally able to reprodice this issue,  That's the good news; the bad news is there is no fix that can be done to fix this in Unraid.  UD uses some built in functions to perform the script file operations.  I can find no solution for Unraid to fix this.  This only occurs when Private Browsing in Chrome and appears to be a bug in one of Chrome's security features causing POST failures in specific circumstances.  There are no other instances of doing things like UD does in Unraid, so this should not show up anywhere else.

Thanks so much for this info. Indeed using Brave Browser in a non-private tab makes it work also for me, so: yay :)

But for my mentioned Firefox version it still doesn't work. But thanks to your hint regarding the POST request, only then I took a look in the dev tool's network tab and saw that the POST request to "update.php" gets blocked by the browser with an "NS_BINDING_ABORTED" error.

Doing a quick research on "Firefox NS_BINDING_ABORTED" brings up several possible reasons, some of which seem rooted in the way the HTML is structured etc. But I didn't dig deeper.

Just wanted to let you know about this. I'd be curious if that also happens for you using Firefox.

But again, thanks so much for your great work. Really appreciate it :)

Edited by unraid-550529

Updated the plugin (about 3 weeks since the last update I did) and now it won't connect to an NFS unRAID server connected trough Tailscale.

It finds the device when I add a new share, but it refuses to mount it: "Remote server is offline", but it is indeed online.

Any tips on how to solve this?

4 minutes ago, Allram said:

Updated the plugin (about 3 weeks since the last update I did) and now it won't connect to an NFS unRAID server connected trough Tailscale.

It finds the device when I add a new share, but it refuses to mount it: "Remote server is offline", but it is indeed online.

Any tips on how to solve this?

Post diagnostics.

• Thanks 1

I see several issues:

Apr 21 17:18:48 Tower unassigned.devices: Mounting 'Auto Mount' Remote Shares...
Apr 21 17:18:54 Tower unassigned.devices: Mounting Remote Share '100.67.144.43:/mnt/user/Backup-Vegard'...
Apr 21 17:18:54 Tower unassigned.devices: Remote Server '100.67.144.43' is offline and remote share '/mnt/user/Backup-Vegard' cannot be mounted.

Then later:

Apr 21 17:25:37 Tower unassigned.devices: Warning: 'Backup-Vegard' is already added as a 'NFS' share.

Things to look at:

• You have the default 5 seconds delay before trying to mount remote shares, but in the log I see where later you set 20 seconds.  That should help.
  • Can you mount the remote share after Unraid is fully started and running?
  • I don't understand the "Warning: 'Backup-Vegard' is already added as a 'NFS' share.".  Are you duplicating this NFS share?
13 hours ago, dlandon said:

I see several issues:

Apr 21 17:18:48 Tower unassigned.devices: Mounting 'Auto Mount' Remote Shares...
Apr 21 17:18:54 Tower unassigned.devices: Mounting Remote Share '100.67.144.43:/mnt/user/Backup-Vegard'...
Apr 21 17:18:54 Tower unassigned.devices: Remote Server '100.67.144.43' is offline and remote share '/mnt/user/Backup-Vegard' cannot be mounted.

Then later:

Apr 21 17:25:37 Tower unassigned.devices: Warning: 'Backup-Vegard' is already added as a 'NFS' share.

Things to look at:

• You have the default 5 seconds delay before trying to mount remote shares, but in the log I see where later you set 20 seconds.  That should help.
  • Can you mount the remote share after Unraid is fully started and running?
  • I don't understand the "Warning: 'Backup-Vegard' is already added as a 'NFS' share.".  Are you duplicating this NFS share?

Tried again:

• Removed the share in UD
  • Rebooted
  • Let the server start and wait until all is started
  • readded the share (UD finds the server and i can browse between the 3 shares that is available)
  • UD says "Remote server is offline" and can't mount.

New diagnostics after those steps are added here.

tower-diagnostics-20240422-0812.zip

6 hours ago, Allram said:

UD says "Remote server is offline" and can't mount.

Nowhere in the logs is there an attempt to mount a remote share either manually or auto mount.  It doesn't indicate any remote shares added.  When UD gets to the point where remote shares are to be auto mounted, it will either mount the remote share or indicate it is not set for auto mount.  I see none of this.

On 4/19/2024 at 1:17 AM, Hammerfest said:

HP DL380 Gen9 with only drive bays, none of the drives where physically removed at all during any of the testing mentioned

Update UD and see if the situation is fixed.  After updating, click the double arrows in the upper right of the UD page to refresh the udev and hot plug info.

New UD release:

• Fixed several situations where all unassigned disks don't show on the UD page.
  • Added a diagnostics script for collecting information specific to UD that doesn't show in the Unraid diagnostics.  This should make it easier to troubleshoot UD specific issues.  It has gotten more difficult to shoot down some of the issues comming up now.  This should help.  For the moment, it is a command line tool only.
17 hours ago, dlandon said:

Nowhere in the logs is there an attempt to mount a remote share either manually or auto mount.  It doesn't indicate any remote shares added.  When UD gets to the point where remote shares are to be auto mounted, it will either mount the remote share or indicate it is not set for auto mount.  I see none of this.

Tried the new UD_diagnostics, seems like since the server is not answering on ping (ping_status.txt) it automatically sets it as offline? It works fine on my other UnRaid server with an older version of the plugin, so is this something new?

If i ping from the Unraid terminal, the server responds as normal. image.png.8a0c257e80c11578f6212eae73a1008b.png

ud_diagnostics-20240423-075626.zip

Edited by Allram
6 hours ago, dlandon said:

Update UD and see if the situation is fixed.  After updating, click the double arrows in the upper right of the UD page to refresh the udev and hot plug info.

did not even have to use the refresh, soon as it was installed, boom, they all show up

❤️

2 hours ago, Allram said:

Tried the new UD_diagnostics, seems like since the server is not answering on ping (ping_status.txt) it automatically sets it as offline? It works fine on my other UnRaid server with an older version of the plugin, so is this something new?

UD no longer pings remote servers.  Instead it checks that the NFS port is open on the remote server.  Because of security, some servers don't respond to a ping.

Run this command and post the result:

/usr/bin/nice /usr/bin/timeout 1 bash -c '(echo >/dev/tcp/100.67.144.43/2049) &>/dev/null'; echo $?