Array drive failure

I have an array with disk 20 an 8tb drive showing the red X so I need to sort it out.

Drive 21 is another 8Tb drive that appears to have nothing on it.

Is there a way to use the empty 8tb that is in the array, to replace the faulty drive and then rebuild the array?

13 minutes ago, ridley said:

Is there a way to use the empty 8tb that is in the array, to replace the faulty drive and then rebuild the array?

No, but there may be nothing wrong with disk20 and you might be able to rebuild to the same disk.

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete Diagnostics ZIP file to your NEXT post.

SMART for disk20 looks OK. Maybe a bad connection so you might check that. Syslog resets when you reboot so nothing in the diagnostics that might tell us what happened.

You have a lot of small disks, many still ReiserFS. Have you considered upsizing disks to get same capacity with fewer disks? Larger disks perform better and fewer disks are fewer opportunities for problems.

You have so many disks that I didn't look at SMART for any of the others. Do you have SMART warnings on the Dashboard for any disks?

Do you have a spare to rebuild to? Or you can rebuild to the same disk if you are confident in the rest of your array. Do you know how to rebuild?

Apparently I do now have two smart warning on other disks now. One drivev is showing errors but is excluded from shares  as I was about to delete that drive from the array as a move to fewer larger drives.

the other was not showing errors before the reboot.

Most of the drives are in s netapp drive array Inc the one with the red X.

I don't have any spare 8tb drives lying around, so I don't suppose I have a choice at the moment.

I could buy another but would prefer not to at the moment.

If I rebuilt to that drive and it failed I would be just back to my present position, right?

Thanks. Rebuild has been going for some time.

It does seem to have slowed though. It seemed to be going along at 100m/s roughly until it got beging the max utilisation of any other drive @about 4Tb. Now it is at about 12mb/s. 

I will leave it going but it seems odd, I would have thought it would speed up if anything or am I misunderstanding?