Hard up on hardware

Ericjr

I'm very excited to try out unraid. My intel Nuc finally died. It's been on the job for 5 years 24/7 running as a plex/everything machine and it did its job. I'm building a new machine and am having a tough time sourcing hardware. I'm going to be building the new machine  in a Silver Stone DS380 case with a Ryzen 3700X CPU and am having a really tough time sourcing a mother board. Its a mini ITX board and finding them has been almost impossible at a reasonable price. Everything on the web gives top marks to unraid and when components finally start becoming more available I'm sure to visit the forum more. I'm a big fan of docker for my work machines and seeing what the community and dev team has to offer makes unraid the clear choice for my next OS. I have almost everything ready to go. Once I can snag a board and boot this thing up I'm sure to be a happy camper. Keep up the good work! 

Edited by Ericjr

You will have a terrible time running a hot CPU in the DS380 (+ the heat from the HDD).

The case isn't very well thought out so at least some improvising is required to get its thermal to acceptable and that's just to keep the HDD warm (warm, not cool!) with a low power CPU. Add the heat from anything fast and you either overheat the CPU or overheat the rest of the case.

The smallest case I would consider for a mini-ITX NAS high power build is the Fractal Design Node 304.

Also for mini-ITX UNRAID build, I would recommend you to consider Intel CPU (that has iGPU) instead, especially if you are considering doing a VM with graphics card pass-through (not because you can pass through the iGPU but because it helps in passing through the dedicated graphics card).

Thank you for the reply. I already had a p2000 for a GPU so I planned on using that. As for the case I plan on replacing the fans inside. If I dont get decent thermal performance I will check out the fractal design case. Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your response.