[SOLVED] GPU passthrough with RX460 crashes complete Unraid server

Hi together,

for quite a while now I am trying to passthrough my Gigabyte RX 460 2GB (primary GPU) to a VM.

I was able to made some significant progress, from only having a black screen over blurred images to a finally working output that crashes the complete server after while (in a 5 - 15 minutes time span)...

But at this point I am stuck completely as I tried everything what I have read in the forum or seen in videos without getting a stable system neither with Win10 VM nor with my OpenSuse VM...

So I hope I just overlooked an obvious issue 😋

The system that I use is based on a Dell T20 where I added my RX460 to it as it requires no additional power from the power supply:

Model: Custom

M/B: Dell Inc. 0VD5HY Version A07

BIOS: Dell Inc. Version A05. Dated: 09/18/2014

CPU: Intel® Xeon® CPU E3-1225 v3 @ 3.20GHz

HVM: Enabled

IOMMU: Enabled

Cache: 256 KiB, 1024 KiB, 8192 KiB

Memory: 12 GiB DDR3 Single-bit ECC (max. installable capacity 32 GiB)

What I did so far:

• For the VMs I use Machine type Q35-4.2 that already helped a lot in comparison to the i440fx
  • Without vBios it didn´t work completely. So I use the distinct one from Techpowerup
  • Changed the IOMMU groups so that the GPU has its own one. Tried the scenario with a shared group (GPU + audio device) too
  • I used the RX460 as second graphic card with VNC as primary one as well as the RX460 as primary and remotely connected via Teamviewer. But same result...
  • Server crashes also when the separate AMD driver from their homepage is used as well as the one Windows installs automatically
  • I tried multiple combinations of CPU cores and RAM assigned to the VM too. Nothing helped so far.

Furthermore, I recognized that when the VM starts and I get a video output via GPU the fans stop immediately.

Don´t know if that is a typical behaviour therefore I logged the GPU data with GPU Z in the VM.  But nothing special too...

For more insights in the system and setup I use I have attached the diagnostics as well as the logged GPU data.

As I am quite inexperienced in terms of Unraid, I hope I just overlooked a minor thing that you can immediately identify 🙃

- Max

tower-diagnostics-20200516-1437.zip RX460_2020-05-16.ods

Edited by Umise
(SOLVED)
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi together,

my current setup seems to be working now!

Tested already if it is stable under load with some benchmark tools and everything seems to be fine.

What I did so far:

I was able to get my hands on a second GPU.

So I dumped the original bios of my RX460, implemented it in the VM and ... everything is running smooth :)

Sometimes it can be that easy :P

- Max

• JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] GPU passthrough with RX460 crashes complete Unraid server
  • 8 months later...