[Support] binhex - MineOS-node

the issue i described where the webui will simply stop responding seems to occur when i download a new profile and try to restart a server to update to it (my main servers run papermc and i update it periodically or when theres an issue). the restart doesn't work with the new profile and the webui basically freezes (i can still click things and browse but not actually make and changes; upon refreshing the page it cannot load in at all, however the servers are all still running). upon restarting the docker (which takes 2-3 minutes),  the webui works fine and seems to continue to do so until i download a new profile and try to apply it to a server.

On 2/14/2021 at 11:00 AM, CmdrKeen said:

I'm having a couple issues with this docker; 

1) It takes over 2 minutes to start (i cannot access the webui for at least 2 minutes after telling unraid to start, after which time it launches my minecraft servers). normally i would just assume that it has a lot it's doing before starting, but i was previously using hexparrot's mineos-node docker and this started almost instantly.

2) sometimes I will loose access to the webui entirely. the minecraft servers continue to function perfectly, but if i need to make any changes or want to start a new server, i need to restart the docker in order to access the webui. I suspect it is a file permissions issue, but I'm not sure what causes it. i have run "chmod -R 777 /mnt/user/appdata/binhex-mineos-node" to reset full permissions on the files, but eventually the issue returns.

3) I followed Alucio's instruction on how to install Java 11, which worked great(required a reboot of unraid server, but thats fine). somewhere along the line, Mineos has reverted to using java 8 again, despite changing the default java version to 11 and confirming everything was working correctly. the default version now shows java 8 in command line again.

Server was glitching out again this morning. After a bit of research, I found the system memory is at 100%, and it looks like it's the minecraft server that's using it all. Here's the htop screen, sorted by memory percentage. Any ideas on where to look for memory related docker issues? thanks!

jfSj1NN.png

The processors are getting slammed too, but that's a high-def Plex movie getting transcoded.

0XjtPRN.png

Edited by dkerlee
On 2/20/2021 at 12:14 PM, dkerlee said:

Server was glitching out again this morning. After a bit of research, I found the system memory is at 100%, and it looks like it's the minecraft server that's using it all. Here's the htop screen, sorted by memory percentage. Any ideas on where to look for memory related docker issues? thanks!

jfSj1NN.png

The processors are getting slammed too, but that's a high-def Plex movie getting transcoded.

0XjtPRN.png

I suspect you might have a different issue than just MineOS; your "Usable Size" for memory there doesn't match how much memory you have. here is what mine looks like, despite running several minecraft servers, allowing plex to transcode in RAM, and allocating 10 GiB to an always-running Windows 10 VM:

image.png.da72610db6cbc3682bc4cc0d818302a9.png

you have 80 GiB, so i expect the usable size to be around 78-79 GiB, but yours is 15.7 GiB?

Edited by CmdrKeen

@CmdrKeen I like that you  might be onto something there. From the looks of this thread it might be a bios memory compatibility issue that I'm getting. I didn't see a place in the unRaid that I can simply change the number to a larger "memory available" number. Thanks for giving me something to chew on!

On further examination, it looks like unRaid can access the full 80GB of ram, I'm not sure why htop only says 15.7G

wdcItXA.png

root@rubble:~# free -mh
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:           15Gi        10Gi       264Mi       1.1Gi       4.8Gi       3.7Gi
Swap:            0B          0B          0B

Edited by dkerlee

the added delay in starting the docker can be seen in the timestamps in the docker's log, however i don't see any useful information as to why the delay:

image.thumb.png.3e82a341ecae766b73bd5e66228d9aab.png

The delay is almost exactly 3 minutes in this log (11:21:02 -> 11:24:05)

I wonder if it has something to do with file permissions, but i have run chmod -R 777 on the entire docker's appdata files prior to starting for this run, so if it's a permissions issue, I don't think there is anything I can do about it.

22 hours ago, CmdrKeen said:

I wonder if it has something to do with file permissions, but i have run chmod -R 777 on the entire docker's appdata files prior to starting for this run, so if it's a permissions issue, I don't think there is anything I can do about it.

due to the fact that this container MUST run as user root i have to chmod any newly created files on startup to permit user 'nobody' access, otherwise i would get a lot of complaints about people not being able to edit/move files around. i could be more selective as to what i chmod, but as it is right now every file and folder in the config folder for this container is chmod 777.

having said all of the above, a chmod should certainly not take minutes, a couple of seconds at most, is the /config folder nested within other folders by any chance?.

On 2/20/2021 at 9:24 AM, CmdrKeen said:

the issue i described where the webui will simply stop responding seems to occur when i download a new profile and try to restart a server to update to it (my main servers run papermc and i update it periodically or when theres an issue). the restart doesn't work with the new profile and the webui basically freezes (i can still click things and browse but not actually make and changes; upon refreshing the page it cannot load in at all, however the servers are all still running). upon restarting the docker (which takes 2-3 minutes),  the webui works fine and seems to continue to do so until i download a new profile and try to apply it to a server.

EXACTLY the same issue here...

On 3/1/2021 at 9:58 AM, binhex said:

due to the fact that this container MUST run as user root i have to chmod any newly created files on startup to permit user 'nobody' access, otherwise i would get a lot of complaints about people not being able to edit/move files around. i could be more selective as to what i chmod, but as it is right now every file and folder in the config folder for this container is chmod 777.

having said all of the above, a chmod should certainly not take minutes, a couple of seconds at most, is the /config folder nested within other folders by any chance?.

the /config folder is in the default location, which is /mnt/user/appdata/binhex-mineos-node (stored on my cache drive SSDs)

image.png.b88ce4e14b8d72d6ec1b915885f7aa01.png

To the best of my knowledge, these settings (which were left default) have the program running as root (user id 0)

On 3/1/2021 at 6:06 AM, PsykoB said:

EXACTLY the same issue here...

same here.

I had to console into the docker and comment out the permissions rewrite.  the more files u have in /config.. the longer it takes. 

/home/nobody/start.sh

#setfacl -R -d -m o::rwx /config

and

#chmod -R 777 /config && cat

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Fireblast3r said:

same here.

I had to console into the docker and comment out the permissions rewrite.  the more files u have in /config.. the longer it takes. 

/home/nobody/start.sh

#setfacl -R -d -m o::rwx /config

and

#chmod -R 777 /config && cat

the permissions rewrite shouldn't be taking 3 minutes though...

when i run chmod -R 777 for the entire appdata folder for this docker, it takes less than 10 seconds. the docker, however, takes around 3 minutes to launch.

Yeah I noticed after I moved my dynmap folder outside of where MineOS was coded to check on that the WEBui is rather decent in terms of speed... but now the container takes around 1/2 hour to load if I had to restart it or something.  This makes sense now if there's a check on each file for permissions... dynmap can have 100's or 1000's of files in its directory.  Bah, can't win with this plugin lol

Yup on top of mineos backup snapshots. (rdiff-backup) You’ve essentially double the file counts. There’s also a ton of git repo files it’s downloaded during builds. Bottom line there’s a ton of files to be doing setfacl every reboot. My mineos container reboots everynight because of CA app data backup plugin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, TheSexiestPanda said:

I feel like this question may have been answered already, but how do you get multiple servers running on different ports? I already have one running on 25565 but how do I get one running on 25566? I'm still very new to unRAID and dockers so any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

In the initial config, it should have defaulted to a range of ports (25565 -25570). In the server properties (gui or file via text editor of choice), you change the query.port and server-port to the desired port. This process is the same if you're using Bungeecord.

On 1/21/2021 at 5:03 PM, ALucio said:

pacman -S jre11-openjdk-headless

This install the version of Java/Openjdk you want, in this case 11. It will ask confirmation, just type Y and press return.

On 1/28/2021 at 2:03 AM, Rockstar said:

Just used your steps and this worked!

hi guys, can i ask how this has been for you, any issues related to the switch to java 11?, if no then i will include this in the next image.

On 3/10/2021 at 5:28 AM, Rockstar said:

Yeah I noticed after I moved my dynmap folder outside of where MineOS was coded to check on that the WEBui is rather decent in terms of speed... but now the container takes around 1/2 hour to load if I had to restart it or something.  This makes sense now if there's a check on each file for permissions... dynmap can have 100's or 1000's of files in its directory.  Bah, can't win with this plugin lol

ok i will take out the chmod on startup and users will just have to learn to do this themselves if they want to change files, owner will be root, group root as taken from a closed issue '...but it is a necessity for MineOS (to run as root) based on the Linux authentication model it offers (i.e., using Linux usernames and passwords).'

24 minutes ago, binhex said:

ok i will take out the chmod on startup and users will just have to learn to do this themselves if they want to change files, owner will be root, group root as taken from a closed issue '...but it is a necessity for MineOS (to run as root) based on the Linux authentication model it offers (i.e., using Linux usernames and passwords).'

Honestly, I would leave it as is. I reckon those of us running dynmap are in the small % of users. Not to mention that MineOS has it's own limitations in regards to very large servers and files.

Regarding Java 11: So far no issues at all.

If I haven't done so already, thank you for your work in providing us with this container!

Edited by Rockstar
grammar
5 hours ago, Rockstar said:

Honestly, I would leave it as is. I reckon those of us running dynmap are in the small % of users. Not to mention that MineOS has it's own limitations in regards to very large servers and files.

ive come up with the best solution i could think of, a configurable exclude paths env var, see recommended post at the top of the screen for how to do this if interested, java 11 is now included and a couple of minor bugs fixed, please pull down at your convenience. 

[10:41:46] ain/INFO]: Environment: authHost='https://authserver.mojang.com', accountsHost='https://api.mojang.com', sessionHost='https://sessionserver.mojang.com', servicesHost='https://api.minecraftservices.com', name='PROD'

[10:41:46] ain/FATAL]: Failed to start the minecraft server

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.nio.file.FileSystemException: .: Operation not permitted

at net.minecraft.server.v1_16_R3.Convertable.<init>(Convertable.java:42) ~[patched_1.16.5.jar:git-Paper-466]

at net.minecraft.server.v1_16_R3.Convertable.a(Convertable.java:50) ~[patched_1.16.5.jar:git-Paper-466]

at net.minecraft.server.v1_16_R3.Main.main(Main.java:112) ~[patched_1.16.5.jar:git-Paper-466]

at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.Main.main(Main.java:276) ~[patched_1.16.5.jar:git-Paper-466]

at jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:?]

at jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) ~[?:?]

at jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:?]

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:566) ~[?:?]

at io.papermc.paperclip.Paperclip.main(Paperclip.java:58) ~[paperclip.jar:?]

Caused by: java.nio.file.FileSystemException: .: Operation not permitted

at sun.nio.fs.UnixException.translateToIOException(UnixException.java:100) ~[?:?]

at sun.nio.fs.UnixException.rethrowAsIOException(UnixException.java:111) ~[?:?]

at sun.nio.fs.UnixException.rethrowAsIOException(UnixException.java:116) ~[?:?]

at sun.nio.fs.UnixPath.toRealPath(UnixPath.java:860) ~[?:?]

at net.minecraft.server.v1_16_R3.Convertable.<init>(Convertable.java:40) ~[patched_1.16.5.jar:git-Paper-466]

... 8 more

got these errors after the patch. as DynaxoMan says running as privliged makes it work again.