[Support] binhex - MineOS-node

I'm curious what settings folks are using to optimize the server for running mineos, and smooth server gameplay.

Privileged: off

added port: 19132 UDP (for Geyser bedrock crossplay)

(manually) fetched and compiled Spigot-1.16.5.jar

Memory Footprint (from Server Status) 2.33GB

Java Settings Memory Allocation (Heapsize) -Xmx 4048MB, -Xms <blank>

Just for anyone having errors building Spigot, specifically, on the Spigot section, "Download latest BuildTools.jar" button. It does download a file, but it's an empty file. I was getting some error there. If you navigate to your appdata/binhex-mineos-node/mineos/games/profiles/BuildTools-latest, check out that file. The BuildTools.jar file should be about 4MB. Mine was 1KB or something. Also in that console, you can manually grab the BuildTools.jar file:

https://www.spigotmc.org/wiki/buildtools/

has a link to the latest buildtools.jar file, at this time it's:

https://hub.spigotmc.org/jenkins/job/BuildTools/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/target/BuildTools.jar

So in that console you'd type

wget https://hub.spigotmc.org/jenkins/job/BuildTools/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/target/BuildTools.jar

and it'll show up. Now when you click the green "Build Spigot" button in MineOS GUI, scroll to the bottom, and you should see action in the build screen. PS: there's an action window at the bottom of that long page!

(I'm getting other errors, but I recall this "solution" working previously...)

Edited by dkerlee

[SOLVED] changed docker to run in Privileged: ON, compile worked.

[original post below]

I'm getting errors when compiling spigot_1.16.5.jar, and not compiling the file. At the end of the process, there is no completed jar file. I tried downloading the pre-compiled jar file, but I get errors then too when trying to run the server. The vanilla server runs OK.

The JAVA_HOME environment variable is not defined correctly This environment variable is needed to run this program NB: JAVA_HOME should point to a JDK not a JRE

https://pastebin.com/3AwK2ppV

Error message when trying to run with downloaded pre-compiled jar

[01:36:32] ain/INFO]: Environment: authHost='https://authserver.mojang.com', accountsHost='https://api.mojang.com', sessionHost='https://sessionserver.mojang.com', servicesHost='https://api.minecraftservices.com', name='PROD'
[01:36:32] ain/FATAL]: Failed to start the minecraft server
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.nio.file.FileSystemException: .: Operation not permitted
at net.minecraft.server.v1_16_R3.Convertable.<init>(Convertable.java:42) ~[spigot-1.16.5.jar:2991-Spigot-018b9a0-f3f3094]
at net.minecraft.server.v1_16_R3.Convertable.a(Convertable.java:50) ~[spigot-1.16.5.jar:2991-Spigot-018b9a0-f3f3094]
at net.minecraft.server.v1_16_R3.Main.main(Main.java:96) [spigot-1.16.5.jar:2991-Spigot-018b9a0-f3f3094]
at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.Main.main(Main.java:202) [spigot-1.16.5.jar:2991-Spigot-018b9a0-f3f3094]
Caused by: java.nio.file.FileSystemException: .: Operation not permitted
at sun.nio.fs.UnixException.translateToIOException(UnixException.java:91) ~[?:1.8.0_282]
at sun.nio.fs.UnixException.rethrowAsIOException(UnixException.java:102) ~[?:1.8.0_282]
at sun.nio.fs.UnixException.rethrowAsIOException(UnixException.java:107) ~[?:1.8.0_282]
at sun.nio.fs.UnixPath.toRealPath(UnixPath.java:837) ~[?:1.8.0_282]
at net.minecraft.server.v1_16_R3.Convertable.<init>(Convertable.java:40) ~[spigot-1.16.5.jar:2991-Spigot-018b9a0-f3f3094]
... 3 more

Edited by dkerlee

I'm hoping that I can get some help with this. I don't play MC, but my kids have never been able to have their own server. I'm not at all inexperienced in *nix, etc., but I am fairly new to UnRaid, Docker, and of course, setting up a minecraft server. For some reason I cannot get this thing to work. I've even tried the original docker image that the OP created this from and have the same problem, and that is that I get an invalid certificate error and no matter what I seem to do, I cannot get the webpage to launch. I've tried different browsers to no avail.

When I click the button that usually provides the "Continue to this page at your own risk" kind of deal, there is no option to continue. I have no idea what's causing it as I did have this WebGUI pop up at one point in the past, but I had to move my drives from one external bay to another and I am just getting back to try and get this running for the kids. Any ideas? I was thinking that this might be an issue affecting others and/or might be because of the UnRaid "MyServers" stuff, as I didn't have that set up the last time I tried this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I simply want to get this running for the kiddos.

Also, is this simply a management tool to administer a server or does this actually come with a server instance? I'm a bit confused at this because I've never played it or tried to set up a server in the past.

Edited by Joe Rees
On 4/3/2021 at 4:28 PM, Joe Rees said:

I'm hoping that I can get some help with this. I don't play MC, but my kids have never been able to have their own server. I'm not at all inexperienced in *nix, etc., but I am fairly new to UnRaid, Docker, and of course, setting up a minecraft server. For some reason I cannot get this thing to work. I've even tried the original docker image that the OP created this from and have the same problem, and that is that I get an invalid certificate error and no matter what I seem to do, I cannot get the webpage to launch. I've tried different browsers to no avail.

When I click the button that usually provides the "Continue to this page at your own risk" kind of deal, there is no option to continue. I have no idea what's causing it as I did have this WebGUI pop up at one point in the past, but I had to move my drives from one external bay to another and I am just getting back to try and get this running for the kids. Any ideas? I was thinking that this might be an issue affecting others and/or might be because of the UnRaid "MyServers" stuff, as I didn't have that set up the last time I tried this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I simply want to get this running for the kiddos.

Also, is this simply a management tool to administer a server or does this actually come with a server instance? I'm a bit confused at this because I've never played it or tried to set up a server in the past.

Don't worry about the ssl certificate. It's a self signed thing, so it will throw an error. But you still get the SSL connection. Ah, go to the bottom, look for Advanced or something, then hit continue anyways. If you're still having issues there, try restarting the binhex-mineos-node docker.

It doesn't come with an instance, that will automatically generate a new world when you first run the program.

If you don't have a Start server button, I suspect you haven't initialized the MineOS software yet. Here's the author going through those steps on a youtube

Yes, watch this. It will get you going.

17 hours ago, dkerlee said:

Don't worry about the ssl certificate. It's a self signed thing, so it will throw an error. But you still get the SSL connection. Ah, go to the bottom, look for Advanced or something, then hit continue anyways. If you're still having issues there, try restarting the binhex-mineos-node docker.

It doesn't come with an instance, that will automatically generate a new world when you first run the program.

If you don't have a Start server button, I suspect you haven't initialized the MineOS software yet. Here's the author going through those steps on a youtube

Yes, watch this. It will get you going.

Yeah, I know how to get past the usual SSL self-signed certificate error. The problem is that there is no option to get past it like you suggest. When I click "Advanced", I get a different error than I have ever seen before and there is literally no "Connect anyway" kind of link or button so I can continue on to the website. It's like the browser is seeing a problem with it and completely rejecting my ability to go to the site. I believe it is seeing it as a MITM attack and just blocks it. I've even tried a bare, fresh install of another browser with no extensions installed that might be responsible for blocking it. 

I appreciate the video and will definitely give it a watch, as I know it will help me a ton once I figure out what is causing this. I think I'll reboot the entire UnRaid server and see if that clears it up. This is a weird one that I've just never seen or experienced before, and I'm an ex-Network Security Engineer, lol. 

5 hours ago, Joe Rees said:

Yeah, I know how to get past the usual SSL self-signed certificate error. The problem is that there is no option to get past it like you suggest. When I click "Advanced", I get a different error than I have ever seen before and there is literally no "Connect anyway" kind of link or button so I can continue on to the website. It's like the browser is seeing a problem with it and completely rejecting my ability to go to the site. I believe it is seeing it as a MITM attack and just blocks it. I've even tried a bare, fresh install of another browser with no extensions installed that might be responsible for blocking it. 

I appreciate the video and will definitely give it a watch, as I know it will help me a ton once I figure out what is causing this. I think I'll reboot the entire UnRaid server and see if that clears it up. This is a weird one that I've just never seen or experienced before, and I'm an ex-Network Security Engineer, lol. 

Are you accessing the web interface through a reverse proxy or something that maybe adds HSTS?

For those still having trouble running mineos-node outside of privilege, I did the following and it works now.  The container still crashes when multiple players have joined at different times, but server will at least operate outside of privileged.  Trying the other binhex minecraft docker to see if it is more stable.

(I found this during the process of moving over to the other binhex docker because that docker wouldn't even start until I did the following)  This is on the support page for the other docker.  If this is a duplicate post and someone else has resolved the problem here, my apologies.

On 4/6/2021 at 1:32 AM, clb92 said:

Are you accessing the web interface through a reverse proxy or something that maybe adds HSTS?

Negative. Directly connected to the same network. I have a segmented network with a couple different VLANS and I even forced the machine I'm connecting to it with to be on the same network and VLAN. This issue *only* happens on Chromium-based browsers, I have discovered. I can access it from Safari and Firefox, but not from Edge or Brave, the two browsers I've been using most lately. I have been able to get the server completely up and running now, but it required me connecting using Firefox so that I could bypass the cert error and proceed to the login page. 

3 hours ago, Joe Rees said:

Negative. Directly connected to the same network. I have a segmented network with a couple different VLANS and I even forced the machine I'm connecting to it with to be on the same network and VLAN. This issue *only* happens on Chromium-based browsers, I have discovered. I can access it from Safari and Firefox, but not from Edge or Brave, the two browsers I've been using most lately. I have been able to get the server completely up and running now, but it required me connecting using Firefox so that I could bypass the cert error and proceed to the login page. 

in that case your solutions are use firefox for this web ui, or create a real cert and install it for this container to get rid of the warning, you will need to look into 'letsencrypt' for this which is out of scope for this support thread.

I had three severs defined and they worked fine.  I upgrade all my dockers and to 6.9.1 (was 6.9.0-RC<something>) and now mineos only shows the one server I added most recenlty.

I do see them in the games area, their backups are there as well.

Ideas on why Mineos has lost track of them?

thanks

Edited by lovingHDTV
1 hour ago, suppenloeffel said:

Hello, is it possible to import the Minecraft server from another Docker container, and if so, how?

It is for sure. Ya know, I did a little googling, and nothing applicable came up right away. Weird. This video from Shockbyte has the meat and potatoes of the backup process using an FTP browser. The link starts at 0:54

You didn't mention what sort of server, or service you're coming from. But the steps are generally:

1. shut down old server

2. (optional) compress server files to single zip or tar.gz files

3. download world, world_nether, and world_the_end (where server.properties "level-name" is "world")

4. create new server

5. upload files (un-compress if necessary)

6. be sure the prefix "world" matches server.properties "level-name"

7. start server

This doesn't include the plugin folder, or other weird stuff: only the backed up world files, which includes playernames stats and inventories I think.

I've had great luck with DrivebackupV2 backing up my server files to Google Drive account on a periodic rolling basis.

https://dev.bukkit.org/projects/drivebackupv2

My binhex server files are actually located in

/mnt/user/appdata/binhex-mineos-node/mineos/games/servers/neverland

where my server.properties level-name is "neverland" so the three folders I have are neverland/, neverland_nether/, and neverland_the_end/.

• Like 1

Hello everyone. I just wanted to confirm for everyone that after upgrading to Unraid 6.9.2, both of my PaperMC Minecraft servers are working with NO Java errors and the MineOS container can now run WITHOUT setting "Privileged" On.

Big props to @binhex here for all the work he does!

To avoid any issues I recommend that you:

1) Stop any Minecraft servers first

2) Do a backup of them (archive not restore point)

4) Upgrade to Unraid 6.9.2 and reboot.

5) If your container is set to startup on boot, login to MineOS and Stop the servers once more.

6) Perform the docker update to the latest

7) After the update go into the docker image and turn off "Privileged"

You will still get the warning message on the Minecraft logs about the 1.17 update stuff, but I'm sure binhex will deal with that once 1.17 is released.

Enjoy everyone!

Edited by ArKineX
  • Like 1

Couple questions.

1. what's the difference between Binehex "minecraft" and "mineos-node"? Why have both?

2. just installed Paper minecraft jar (papermc.io), it says

[10:08:42] [Server thread/WARN]: [io.papermc.paper.util.PaperJvmChecker] ************************************************************

[10:08:42] [Server thread/WARN]: [io.papermc.paper.util.PaperJvmChecker] * WARNING - YOU ARE RUNNING AN OUTDATED VERSION OF JAVA.

[10:08:42] [Server thread/WARN]: [io.papermc.paper.util.PaperJvmChecker] * PAPER WILL STOP BEING COMPATIBLE WITH THIS VERSION OF

[10:08:42] [Server thread/WARN]: [io.papermc.paper.util.PaperJvmChecker] * JAVA WHEN MINECRAFT 1.17 IS RELEASED.

[10:08:42] [Server thread/WARN]: [io.papermc.paper.util.PaperJvmChecker] *

[10:08:42] [Server thread/WARN]: [io.papermc.paper.util.PaperJvmChecker] * Please update the version of Java you use to run Paper

[10:08:42] [Server thread/WARN]: [io.papermc.paper.util.PaperJvmChecker] * to at least Java 11. When Paper for Minecraft 1.17 is

[10:08:42] [Server thread/WARN]: [io.papermc.paper.util.PaperJvmChecker] * released support for versions of Java before 11 will

[10:08:42] [Server thread/WARN]: [io.papermc.paper.util.PaperJvmChecker] * be dropped.

[10:08:42] [Server thread/WARN]: [io.papermc.paper.util.PaperJvmChecker] * Current Java version: 1.8.0_282

[10:08:42] [Server thread/WARN]: [io.papermc.paper.util.PaperJvmChecker] * Check this forum post for more information:

[10:08:42] [Server thread/WARN]: [io.papermc.paper.util.PaperJvmChecker] * https://papermc.io/java11

[10:08:42] [Server thread/WARN]: [io.papermc.paper.util.PaperJvmChecker] ************************************************************

Will an updated version of Java be shipped with the docker when appropriate? Or is that something I need to do?

3. on Logging > log/latest.log, would it be possible to get rid of that "browser over run, reload page" error, and have the logs auto-scroll from the top, instead of fly by and go down below?

thanks!d

1 minute ago, dkerlee said:

Couple questions.

1. what's the difference between Binehex "minecraft" and "mineos-node"? Why have both?

2. just installed Paper minecraft jar (papermc.io), it says

Will an updated version of Java be shipped with the docker when appropriate? Or is that something I need to do?

3. on Logging > log/latest.log, would it be possible to get rid of that "browser over run, reload page" error, and have the logs auto-scroll from the top, instead of fly by and go down below?

thanks!d

@binhex can correct me here, but:

1)  I believe the binhex-minecraft is for single server setups, but honestly I prefer MineOS as you have a GUI to manage your servers and you can have multiple servers running at once on MineOS.

2) Yes right now he is using Java 8, but I believe he will update his docker containers to 11 when 1.17 comes out.

3) That is a @binhex question.  😃

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ArKineX said:

Hello everyone. I just wanted to confirm for everyone that after upgrading to Unraid 6.9.2, both of my PaperMC Minecraft servers are working with NO Java errors and the MineOS container can now run WITHOUT setting "Privileged" On.

Big props to @binhex here for all the work he does!

thanks goes out to @limetech for the update to docker (and thus runc) to fix this up, glad its running smoothly guys!.

1)  I believe the binhex-minecraft is for single server setups, but honestly I prefer MineOS as you have a GUI to manage your servers and you can have multiple servers running at once on MineOS.

this is correct, however i have enhanced binhex-minecraftserver so that you can now run whatever jar you want, and i also allow the ability to switch java version (8 or 11), although it is still a single server per container.

2) Yes right now he is using Java 8, but I believe he will update his docker containers to 11 when 1.17 comes out.

im going to include both versions, hopefully this will allow users to run papermc and other minecraft servers which still run best on java 8, at least that is the hope.

3 hours ago, dkerlee said:

that is a question for the developer of mineos-node, as i only package what is available, create 'issue' here:- https://github.com/hexparrot/mineos-node/issues

• Like 1

Having issues with the webUI disappearing after performing an action. E.g. I set up a cron job, clicked on the generate backup button and the webUI hangs and then goes to a ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED page. 

This has happened several times now. Last time it happened when trying to download the papermc image. 

Only way to get it back is the restart the container. The MC servers are all running fine. Just no webUI.

Edited by jj_uk
1 hour ago, jj_uk said:

Having issues with the webUI disappearing after performing an action. E.g. I set up a cron job, clicked on the generate backup button and the webUI hangs and then goes to a ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED page. 

This has happened several times now. Last time it happened when trying to download the papermc image. 

Only way to get it back is the restart the container. The MC servers are all running fine. Just no webUI.

sadly mineos-node ui is a bit flaky and is prone to crashing under certain circumstances, ive havent seen any solution to the instability issues yet.

Ah ok.  I've found that if I stop all servers before making changes to anything, it's not quite as crash-happy.

Does anyone know how to convert a mojang server to a paperMC server? Don't want to lose the world as the kids will literally kill me.

Answer: Simply set the profile and runable to paperMC and it converts automaticly. There's some notes in the log when the paperMC server starts up on how to convert it back to mojang.

Edited by jj_uk