Cache drive and Mover question

I am trying to fully understand the cache drive and how necessary it is. I am primarily running a plex server and NAS for achieving.. 

here is my question..

1) The files I move onto the server that get put onto the cache drive before the mover moves them... will they be simulated as in their final resting place? I.E. if I move a file to my movies folder although it goes to cache. untill its moved by the mover will I still be able to find this file in the movies folder. 

2)  If that file is in use while it is on the cache drive and the mover tries to move that file.. will it fail to move? Will it kill the plex stream of someone watching it or if its a Doc. will it error out the doc thats opened or will it move without interrupting the current access of the file.

Thank you

2 hours ago, tmoran000 said:

I am trying to fully understand the cache drive and how necessary it is. I am primarily running a plex server and NAS for achieving.. 

here is my question..

1) The files I move onto the server that get put onto the cache drive before the mover moves them... will they be simulated as in their final resting place? I.E. if I move a file to my movies folder although it goes to cache. untill its moved by the mover will I still be able to find this file in the movies folder. 

2)  If that file is in use while it is on the cache drive and the mover tries to move that file.. will it fail to move? Will it kill the plex stream of someone watching it or if its a Doc. will it error out the doc thats opened or will it move without interrupting the current access of the file.

Thank you

1. Yes, the path to your file is the same from your client computer. Unraid knows where the file really is behind the scenes, and will serve it from wherever it is, cache or array.

2. Mover will not move a file if it's in use. It'll just skip it.

• Like 1

User shares are not cached by default. Unless you set a user share to use cache, it will not and its files will be written directly to the array. Almost all of my user shares are not cached.

You can also have user shares that stay on cache and aren't moved to the array. This is often done when performance is important. Typically appdata (docker working storage), domains (VMs), and system (docker executables and VM configurations) shares are set to stay on cache so dockers/VMs will perform better and so these will not keep array disks spinning.