Unraid USB fails every month

I am still fairly new to Unraid.

First time I had an issue 2 months ago - all apps disappeared and I saw some errors in the logs regarding flash drive.

Started from scratch on second USB stick. This time saving making backup of USB after I setup my shares and minimal set of apps.

Issue happened month ago but at that time I thought this was related to update of community apps plugin but as advised I restarted the server and I also tried to make sure that none of the dockers would write logs to flash to keep USB writes to minimum.

All it was running fine for another month until now... and throughout the moment writes to usb were in raising to 200-300 which is expected but then when issue happened GUI reports some ridiculous number of writes:

image.thumb.png.8fa920242466c5fa8ece15a06c0f8265.png

I am still using trial as I was weary of the fact that once I buy the license I can transfer it only once in a year for free and if things are going this way I would have to buy license several times each year...

Can someone help me on this to figure out if I setup something incorrectly or if I were just unlucky with the flash drives?

I have attached diagnostics.

tower-diagnostics-20200518-1623.zip

58 minutes ago, veelckoo said:

I am still using trial as I was weary of the fact that once I buy the license I can transfer it only once in a year for free and if things are going this way I would have to buy license several times each year...

tower-diagnostics-20200518-1623.zip 232.48 kB · 1 download

You can only transfer the license yourself once per year, however you can always contact [email protected] and we can transfer your license for you if need be.

Thanks for the answers.

Ggood to know that there is an option of transferring the license to new flash drive if the old one dies.

I will try different types of flash drives then and evaluate different USB ports to see if that might have an impact.

• Like 1

OK, I just checked both of my servers.  Both have been running 40days. (Not sure why both were restarted at that point in time unless there was a power outage...)  The Test Bed server has 123 reads and 254 writes.  The Media server has 4394 reads and 989 writes. 

I would assume that the number of writes is some kind of reporting error but over 3,900,000 reads is an indication that something is wrong in your setup.  Make sure that you don't have a Docker setup to use the flash drive for data storage.   Looking at the amount of space used (on the flash drive as reported in your screen capture) I would be looking for scratch  (or temporary work) file(s).

• Like 1
On 5/19/2020 at 11:49 AM, Frank1940 said:

OK, I just checked both of my servers.  Both have been running 40days. (Not sure why both were restarted at that point in time unless there was a power outage...)  The Test Bed server has 123 reads and 254 writes.  The Media server has 4394 reads and 989 writes. 

I would assume that the number of writes is some kind of reporting error but over 3,900,000 reads is an indication that something is wrong in your setup.  Make sure that you don't have a Docker setup to use the flash drive for data storage.   Looking at the amount of space used (on the flash drive as reported in your screen capture) I would be looking for scratch  (or temporary work) file(s).

Thanks for that suggestion. This still might be display error but I will definitely check reads once I migrated to new drive.

I ordered 3xSanDisk 16GB Cruzer Blade (USB 2.0) and will make sure that no docker is using any of the flash storage.