Updates on NFSv4 Support?

3 hours ago, limetech said:

I added nfsv4 support in kernel starting with 6.10-rc2. nfsv3 still works and the v4 protocol is definitely enabled but I can't get a client (another Unraid server) to mount a share using v4 protocol. Spent a couple hours on it this morning but I have no time to spend more time on it now.

If someone wants to test this and let me know what has to happen, then we can add to 6.10 release.  But please post in Prerelease Board.

It's just extremely positive to hear this isn't going on death ears and being ignored. Would be amazing if we could make nfs4 happen in 6.10.  I'll see if i can do some tests today.

34 minutes ago, limetech said:

Also: what NFS client are you running?

I'm using NFS for docker swarms on raspberry pi's using the in-built mount options.

38 minutes ago, limetech said:

Ok you can test with an -rc2 "pre-release".  To install, install this plugin.  It puts you on our "test" branch, mainly for internal testing:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/dnld.lime-technology.com/test/unRAIDServer.plg

(paste that URL into the Install Plugin URL field)

It should come up as 6.10.0-rc2d

I'll get right on this.  

The client I'm using nfs-utils from the Manjaro Linux Repo.  Nothing special I think.

1 hour ago, limetech said:

Ok you can test with an -rc2 "pre-release".  To install, install this plugin.  It puts you on our "test" branch, mainly for internal testing:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/dnld.lime-technology.com/test/unRAIDServer.plg

(paste that URL into the Install Plugin URL field)

It should come up as 6.10.0-rc2d

It works!  As requested, I posted about my experience getting NFS4 working here.  

Thanks so much for this limetech

-Greg

58 minutes ago, gcolds said:

It works!  As requested, I posted about my experience getting NFS4 working here.  

Thanks so much for this limetech

-Greg

Such awesome news.

I wanted to test too, but when I tried to install the plugin to get me to rc2 on a test box, I got the error "plugin: not installing older version". Weird?

13 hours ago, ausca said:

Such awesome news.

I wanted to test too, but when I tried to install the plugin to get me to rc2 on a test box, I got the error "plugin: not installing older version". Weird?

Same here unfortunately...

** edit **

Found how to get it working. You need to upgrade to rc1 first and then load the plugin. It will then update to the internal rc2 test branch.

Edited by Guido
2 minutes ago, michael123 said:

The bug is that the drive stays online, it should be switched off in idle after timeout

I rolled back to 6.9.1 as advised here on forum

I have not seen this problem on my system with 6.9.2 and up but strictly speaking this thread is about NFSv4 support.  You might want to post elsewhere about the standby issue or see if there is a bug report open on it already.

-Greg

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2021 at 12:42 AM, dlandon said:

NFSv4 is now working in 6.10rc2e and UD is working with NFSv4.  UD has a new setting to specify which version of NFS to use when mounting remote shares.  It defaults to NFSv3 for backwards compatibility.

This is such wonderful news!  I'll wait for the official rc2, but I'm getting excited!

• 1 month later...

Okay, so I've just downloaded/installed 6.10.0-rc2.  Indeed, all my nfs shares now are automounted with NFSv4.

One little problem - all my NFS shares appear on my Linux Mint machine as protected.  I'm told that I'm not the owner and cannot write to the share.  My shares are all set as public and I used to be able to write to them under 6.9.2/NFSv3.

Why the difference in behaviour and how do I resolve this?

UPDATE:

Okay, false alarm (I think).  I rebooted my Mint desktop machine and all appears to be okay now.  Although the files are shown as protected, I can still write/delete.

Edited by PeterB