Which 2 TB drive should I buy?

Take a look here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=11370.0

Seems that Samsung F3 HD203WI doesn't return smart temp reading without spinning up first, which WD20EARS do not need. Makes the WD20EARS a clear winner for people who want to control fan speed based on actual HDD temp.

This is not true anymore.  As long as the fan speed control script ignores drives that are sleeping, it will leave them alone.  This makes it possible to use fan speed based on hard drive temp for any drive.

Yeah, but drive sleeping doesn't mean the drive itself is cool and doesn't need cooling.. But a nice workaround, aiden! Thanks!

True, but a sleeping drive cools off plenty fast, so it really doesn't need active cooling at that point.  In fact when I did my testing, by the time the 2 minute cycle had come around, the drives had dropped below the lowest temp threshold.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone's Hitachi 5k3000 making any noise?  My 5k3000 makes a very quiet noise that sounds like someone crumbling tissue paper.  Actually, when I first started hearing the noise, I thought I was stepping on a piece of paper (or my chair was on one) and kept looking around for the paper.  But I traced the sound to the 5k3000.

I ran one pre-clear, and never heard this noise.  I was running a second pre-clear when I heard it.  So I ran a 3rd preclear to be safe.  All three passed with flying colors.  I put it in an array to replace a 1TB and rebuilt.  And its been running fine since, but it makes that very quiet krinkle sound whenever it is spun-up.

The SMART report looks perfect and it is performing well.  Hopefully it doesn't turn into anything serious.

Western Digital  just bought Hitachi.  SO you may want to factor that into any buying decisions.  I'm not sure how warranties, rebates, etc. will be handled.  From the article I read, it sounds like WD bought Hitachi for their enterprise drives, so I'm sure the Hitachi brand will disappear.  Will be interesting to see if they keep consumer models around as another option to EARS, or if they just go away.  If you are just starting a server from scratch, you may want to think going with Hitachi drives in light of these uncertainties.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-07/western-digital-to-buy-hitachi-unit-for-4-3-billion-in-cash-stock-deal.html

Sorta sucks, someone suggested I use Hitachi drives but I guess I won't now.

Also sucks the EADS are EOL'd, they worked so well in enclosures unlike the ears which I've heard so many disaster stories even though the one I got in this little fancy enclosure (its got a 40mm fan and a bigger one at the bottom as well and blue LED's on the front) but yea that's done me good over the last while, *knocks on wood* I still got about 8 EADs drives waiting to be put into a system, hell I probably got about 20-30 drives laying around my house un used.

Yes, it's not like Hitachi is going out of business. It could be that WD will pick up support of older hard disks depending on their agreement.

It is encouraging that the merged HD divisions will be run by the Hitachi guy and not the WD guy, so maybe the Hitachi technology won't be abandoned and instead used to make the WD drives better.

I am hopeful to see good deals on Hitachi, but could also see it go in the other direction if WD is involved. Surely supply will be gone by the time Sept comes along, and low supply means higher prices.

It is encouraging that the merged HD divisions will be run by the Hitachi guy and not the WD guy, so maybe the Hitachi technology won't be abandoned and instead used to make the WD drives better.

This is the best possible news about the merger/acquisition, at least in my eyes.

As far as RMA's in the future after the merger is completed, you will be getting a "WD Branded" drive, but it's possible that the internals will be Hitachi technology. It all depends on which manufacturing process and tech they opt to keep going forward.

As far as RMA's in the future after the merger is completed, you will be getting a "WD Branded" drive, but it's possible that the internals will be Hitachi technology. It all depends on which manufacturing process and tech they opt to keep going forward.

Good point.

What I have heard is that WD will be dropping any non-advanced format drives in the Hitachi consumer line-up immediately after the merger.  WD wants to be all AF.  After the merger, the Hitachi name will go away and all non-AF drives will be discontinued.  Thus, any RMA of a non-AF drive will likely result in a replacement with an AF drive most likely.  I guess its possible they may keep a small supply of non-AF drives on hand to cover some RMA's. 

Anyway, longer term, I read that new models of WD drives in 2012 will incorporate some Hitachi drive features.  Basically a new lineup of drives for 2012 that are WD/Hitachi hybrids.

I think WD will be switching away from the RE4 models to the Hitachi enterprise drives immediately after the merger, and continue their technology roadmap based off the Hitachi platform.

With the release of the JP1 firmware, the F4 drives are fine for use.

HI all,

Is this the correct drive mentioned on the first page?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-327-WD

I need 4 drives, there expensive!!!! I already have 4 samsung f4's but noticed there not recommended!

Is this firmware already released and how to you upgdate the hard drive with it?

I never knew you could upgrade the firmware on a hard drive. Everydays a school day :D

With the release of the JP1 firmware, the F4 drives are fine for use.

HI all,

Is this the correct drive mentioned on the first page?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-327-WD

I need 4 drives, there expensive!!!! I already have 4 samsung f4's but noticed there not recommended!

Is this firmware already released and how to you upgdate the hard drive with it?

I never knew you could upgrade the firmware on a hard drive. Everydays a school day :D

Yes, already released. Search this site for firmware, it has been explained several times at length.

Hi!

I have bought several HD204UI. I've read in other forums that the 2011 produced HD204UI (mine are from 2011.02) have the new firm/patch installed by Samsung. Is it true? If it's true I need only to preclear them. Hope someone can confirm this point.

Thanks in advance.

Hi!

I have bought several HD204UI. I've read in other forums that the 2011 produced HD204UI (mine are from 2011.02) have the new firm/patch installed by Samsung. Is it true? If it's true I need only to preclear them. Hope someone can confirm this point.

Thanks in advance.

Check the other thread for replies to your question.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Not sure if I should start a new thread. Thought of asking here first:

What is the list of BEST 2TB hard drives for Parity Drive?  ???

I know Partity drive is a important one. This is what I have in mind so far:

Samsung 2TB HD204UI

HITACHI Deskstar 5K3000 2TB

Please let me know if you recommend anything else. Should I go for a 7200RPM one (for Parity drive)? Thanks...

Hello,

Not sure if I should start a new thread. Thought of asking here first:

What is the list of BEST 2TB hard drives for Parity Drive?  ???

I know Partity drive is a important one. This is what I have in mind so far:

Samsung 2TB HD204UI

HITACHI Deskstar 5K3000 2TB

Please let me know if you recommend anything else. Should I go for a 7200RPM one (for Parity drive)? Thanks...

If you lose a parity disk you can still recover as long as no other disks die while you're rebuilding the Parity drive. The Samsung is fine as long as you flash the firmware with the JP1 firmware, otherwise it cannot be trusted. I have one, and it's been great. I also have one of the 5K3000 drives and it's been good, albeit a little slower than the F4.

If you use a cache drive the speed of the parity drive doesn't really come into play. If you don't use a cache drive, it might be slightly faster with a 7200rpm drive, but I'd rather not have the added heat and power draw of one.

I know Partity drive is a important one.

The parity drive is not any more important than any of the other drives.

Having a 7200 rpm parity drive in an array with all green data drives is basically useless.  You won't see much of a benefit until all the drives in your server are 7200 rpm.  The best way to achieve maximum performance from your array is to use a 7200 rpm cache drive - all the others can be green drives.

I would say they are going to perform pretty much the same. So the difference would be in cost and reliability/reputation.  Right now I personally think the 5k3000 is the better of the two drives.  Mainly just because I'm a little afraid to use the Samsung after the firmware problems they've had recently.  They supposedly have it fixed but I'm staying away from Samsug for a while just in case.

• JorgeB unpinned this topic