Which 2 TB drive should I buy?

No worries. I picked this up from the experts here. It proved fantastic for a quick turnaround when a drive went south, and I didn't really have the time to open the tower and manually replace the drive. Since the warm spare is just there idling, my power consumption did not change much with this. Hope you can get around to trying it one day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking for drives for my new unRAID, preferably 2TB but 1.5 could also do it.

I will get at least 3 drives to start of with and am considering specifically three different ones:

WD WD20EADS, old SATA II model with 32MB Cache

WD WD20EARX, new SATA III model with 64MB cache

or

Hitachi 5K3000

[*]Wich drive would you recommend as most reliable, quiet and energy efficient?

[*]Any other drive than these three I should look out for?

[*]Any drive I should definitely not take?

[*]What drive would be the most ideal as parity drive?

• 1 month later...

Its nearly impossible to get the WD WD20EADS and Hitachi 5K3000 these days.

All I can seem to find is WD WD20EARX. Is there any other common recommendation as I would like something better than the EARS for my parity.

I know its off topic but off the top of someones head is there any decent 500-1000gb drives out there for my cache?

All I can seem to find is WD WD20EARX. Is there any other common recommendation as I would like something better than the EARS for my parity.

I know its off topic but off the top of someones head is there any decent 500-1000gb drives out there for my cache?

The Hitachi series are really in high demand at the moment, that is only a good sign - that means they are really good.

I knew I wanted them for my build and here in Denmark they are now where to be found - so I ended up buying from Germany and UK.

If you know they are what you want, then try to look a little further away from home, they are out there and prices are pretty much the same everywhere.

If you want "better" drives, check out the video and enterprise drives from the various manufacturers.

http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=150

http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/sv35/

This, unfortunately, is the byproduct of the WD buyout. I can't for the life of me understand how this wasn't considered a monopolistic maneuver and stopped by the FTC. Add the Seagate purchase of Samsungs HDD division, and we're left with... well, crap (WD) or crap (Seagate) in the 3.5" consumer market. Sprinkle a little mother nature in the mix (last year's flooding in Thailand), and you get the perfect storm of price fixing and slower production.

This, unfortunately, is the byproduct of the WD buyout. I can't for the life of me understand how this wasn't considered a monopolistic maneuver and stopped by the FTC. Add the Seagate purchase of Samsungs HDD division, and we're left with... well, crap (WD) or crap (Seagate) in the 3.5" consumer market. Sprinkle a little mother nature in the mix (last year's flooding in Thailand), and you get the perfect storm of price fixing and slower production.

The text below was part of a press release on the HGST website. It looks like the regulators shared your concerns about reduced competition.

Regulatory Approvals: In connection with obtaining the regulatory approvals required to complete the acquisition of HGST, WD agreed, (i) subject to review by regulatory agencies in certain jurisdictions, to divest certain assets to Toshiba Corporation that will enable Toshiba to manufacture 3.5-inch hard drives for the desktop and consumer electronics markets and will expand Toshiba's capacity to manufacture and sell 3.5-inch hard drives for near-line (business critical) applications and (ii) to conditions required by the Chinese Ministry of Commerce ("MOFCOM") including adopting measures to keep HGST as an independent competitor until MOFCOM agrees otherwise (the minimum period is two years). Compliance with these undertakings may limit synergies that could otherwise be achieved and involve significant costs or require changes in business practices that result in reduced revenue.

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking to add a HDD to my array. Either a Western Digital WD20EARX or Seagate ST2000DL003.

Is there any problem with either? the Seagate is currently cheaper where I am. Is there any reason not to go with it? Spin-down compatibility, power, do I have to upgrade drive's firmware, etc...?

Thank you

The warranty on the Seagate should be only 1 year, whereas the warranty on the WD should be 2 years.

Both manufacturers lowered their warranties at the beginning of this year.

I get 2 years on both according to the store.

any reason to choose one over the other from a technical/unRaid point of view.

You may want to double check with Seagate on the warranty.  Amazon shows 3 years - http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST2000DL003/dp/B004CCS266/ but I think it may be only one.  Other than that, I'm not familiar with the Seagate.

I do have one of the WD20EARX along with several WD20EARS drives and they are OK.  They spin down, are low power and there is no need to update the firmware.  However, I did run wdidle on them.

I did RMA a couple of drives - one DOA and one after about 15 months.

You could also look into getting the Hitachi or the WD Red.

• 7 months later...

Hello everybody,

I need 2 disks for a new build : my plan is a 7200 rpm seagate barracuda 7200.14 for parity and wd green WD20EARX or WD20EZRX for data.

1) is there a benefit to go for a faster drive for parity ?

2) what's the difference between the earx and the ezrx and which should I choose ? My goal is reliability and not performance there...

Thanks for the advices

Vittel

If buying new get the WD reds.

x2

I currently have three Hitachi 5K3000 and they are also pretty nice, but they are hard to find these days. WD Reds are the closest thing thats available and probably a little better than the 5K3000's as they are optimised for servers.

In my mind the wd red are more suited to real raid, unraid is just ok with the greens, but their price difference makes me think about them...

Anyway, It doesn't really answer my 2 questions...

Envoyé depuis mon GT-I9001 avec Tapatalk

I think the EARX use three 667GB platters, while the EZRX use two 1TB ones instead. I have two EARX and three EZRX in my setup, and the two EARX are slower and run hotter than any of the EZRX. So my vote would clearly go to the EZRX unless the EARX was quite a bit cheaper.

• JorgeB unpinned this topic