Which 2 TB drive should I buy?

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was to late to change my order :'(

Do I need to put a jumper on the wd20earx like I did on my wd15ears ?

Or is it something I only need to do on the ears series ?

Thanks for caring...

If you use 4K aligned you don't need a jumper on the WD drives.  If you DO use a jumper you should NOT use 4K aligned in unRAID for that drive - other drives could still be 4k aligned just not for a drive with a jumper.  If you only have large files (several GB in size) then it probably wouldn't matter either way.  The only noticable difference is on smaller files. 

Ok I understand there is no jumper need on the earx.

But for the wd15ears I also don't need the jumper for 4k alignment ?

You probably only need it if you have lots of small files.  With big files the drop in speed will likely not be noticable.  If you set unRAID up to use 4K aligned with all drives then even your wd15ears wouldn't need a jumper.  However if you are already using a jumper then set unRAID to unaligned and leave the jumper alone.  If it hasn't been jumpered before then just set unRAID up to be 4K aligned when you add it to unRAID.  If it is already in unRAID and you are not having problems then do nothing - if it ain't broke don't fix it.  If you want to fix it and the disk is currently unaligned then you will need to move the data elsewhere and remove from unRAID then preclear it once with the correct preclear parameter for aligned believe it is -A.  Then put your data back.  You cannot change the aligned status of a drive that is already IN the array without loosing data - as far as I know.

Thanks a lot for the clarification.

The ears is jumpered but not in the array. When all the files it contains will be in the array, I'll remove the jumper and preclear it (with -A parameter) before adding it to the array.

Right now I'm preclearing a 2tb seagate drive and noticed I had to add the -A switch although unraid is set to 4k alignment. I thought it wouldn't be necessary but it was...

Thanks again, much clearer in my mind now.

• 3 months later...

I think the EARX use three 667GB platters, while the EZRX use two 1TB ones instead. I have two EARX and three EZRX in my setup, and the two EARX are slower and run hotter than any of the EZRX. So my vote would clearly go to the EZRX unless the EARX was quite a bit cheaper.

The WD20EZRX are $15.00 off at the moment on new egg with a promo code.

Do they need the wdidle3 to stop the head parking? or they good to go?

What you think about the Red WD20EFRX? are they good to go also?  :)

The WD20EZRX are $15.00 off at the moment on new egg with a promo code.

Do they need the wdidle3 to stop the head parking? or they good to go?

What you think about the Red WD20EFRX? are they good to go also?  :)

The Red's do NOT need it and it probably wouldn't work anyway since they are designed for NAS PCs already.  The greens may/may not need it.  I've never had to use it with any of my WD Green drives - EADS or EARS.
  • JorgeB unpinned this topic