Which 2 TB drive should I buy?

As of mid April 2011 here's the breakdown on 2 TB drive recommendations for unRAID:

* = recommended by the unRAID community

OK to use:

2 TB Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000*

2 TB WD EADS*

2 TB Samsung F3 HD203WI*

2 TB 7200rpm Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000*

2 TB WD RE4-GP WD2002FYPS

2 TB WD Caviar Black WD2001FASS

2 TB WD EARX

OK to use with some modification:

2 TB WD EARS* (older versions of unRAID require a jumper on pins 7/8, see this wiki page for more info; in newer versions of unRAID the jumper is no longer required, see here for more info)

2 TB Seagate Barracuda LP ST32000542AS* (recommend a forced firmware update to CC35, see this thread for more info)

2 TB Samsung F4 HD204UI (known to silently corrupt data, requires a firmware update, see this thread for more info)

Not OK to use - avoid whenever possible:

None at this time.

Raj's favorite:

My favorite is currently the Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000.  This drive is generally the cheapest on the market, it runs cool and fast, and it has proven itself well in the unRAID community.  However, buy them fast as WD recently bought out Hitachi Global Storage, so the Hitachi brand will likely disappear from the market within a few months!  Hopefully this means that WD drives will just become that much better.

This is a work in progress, this list is not complete.  Please suggest other drives I've missed.  If you have questions about any of these drives, please ask them in that drive's thread or in a new thread that you start.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Samsung corruption issue has been addressed with a firmware update. The drive should only be used after updating the firmware. Since the old version of the firmware and the new version have the same version number it is impossible to tell if the firmware has been applied. I expect their will be a version number change in the coming months.

This drive is also an advanced format drive and so performance will suffer. These two reasons are good enough to recommend avoiding this drive for now. In the future when these two issues are addressed (by Samsung and Limetech), this may be an excellent drive to use. It is certainly priced attractively.

Thanks for the suggestions, all.  jcarmi04, I won't include yours as I want to keep this thread dedicated to 2 TB drives.  We can have separate threads for 1 TB and 1.5 TB drives if there's a demand for that.

Killer_B - the EADS is by far the quietest drive in that bunch.  Any 7200 rpm drive will produce more noise, heat, and use more power than a green drive.  The newly added Samsung F3 is also a good, quiet choice, but it is not widely available anymore.

You can also add the Western Digital RE4-GP WD2002FYPS.  I'm using it as my parity and it works great. I get about 10 MB/s additional speed over the Hitachi I had previously.  I realize its kind of pricey, but I picked it up for only $150.

What is your total speed when you move files to it?

And

where did you get it for $150?

You can also add the Western Digital RE4-GP WD2002FYPS.  I'm using it as my parity and it works great. I get about 10 MB/s additional speed over the Hitachi I had previously.  I realize its kind of pricey, but I picked it up for only $150.

And

He said he "picked it up", as in, after it fell off a truck  ;D

(a weak joke sorry)

You can also add the Western Digital RE4-GP WD2002FYPS.  I'm using it as my parity and it works great. I get about 10 MB/s additional speed over the Hitachi I had previously.  I realize its kind of pricey, but I picked it up for only $150.

And

I picked it up "used" on eBay.  The guy said he used it for one month, and then no longer needed it. Sure enough, the manufacture date and "Power On Hours" verfied that it was indeed almost brand new.

I'm not sure it sped it up much.  From my Windows 7 desktop on gigabit, I get ~35-40MB/s.  On my last parity check, I got ~74,000 KB/s (72.27 MB/s).  Here are the stats from the disk speed test in unMenu:

/dev/sda: FLASH

Timing cached reads:   3494 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1748.67 MB/sec

Timing buffered disk reads:   70 MB in  3.06 seconds =  22.86 MB/sec

/dev/sdb: Hitachi 2TB on AOC-SASLP-MV8

Timing cached reads:   3566 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1785.13 MB/sec

Timing buffered disk reads:  366 MB in  3.01 seconds = 121.50 MB/sec

/dev/sdc: Hitachi 2TB on AOC-SASLP-MV8

Timing cached reads:   3318 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1660.99 MB/sec

Timing buffered disk reads:  380 MB in  3.01 seconds = 126.14 MB/sec

/dev/sdd: PARITY - WD RE4 2TB on Motherboard Controller

Timing cached reads:   3348 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1676.00 MB/sec

Timing buffered disk reads:  424 MB in  3.01 seconds = 140.89 MB/sec

/dev/sde: Hitachi 2TB on Motherboard Controller

Timing cached reads:   3262 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1632.85 MB/sec

Timing buffered disk reads:  370 MB in  3.01 seconds = 122.92 MB/sec

/dev/sdf: Seagate 1.5TB on Motherboard Controller

Timing cached reads:   3372 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1688.38 MB/sec

Timing buffered disk reads:  364 MB in  3.00 seconds = 121.20 MB/sec

/dev/sdg: Seagate 1.5TB on Motherboard Controller

Timing cached reads:   3650 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1826.82 MB/sec

Timing buffered disk reads:  368 MB in  3.01 seconds = 122.15 MB/sec

/dev/sdh: Seagate 1.5TB on Motherboard Controller

Timing cached reads:   3524 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1763.69 MB/sec

Timing buffered disk reads:  364 MB in  3.00 seconds = 121.25 MB/sec

/dev/sdi: Hitachi 2TB on Motherboard Controller

Timing cached reads:   3544 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1774.62 MB/sec

Timing buffered disk reads:  392 MB in  3.00 seconds = 130.59 MB/sec

Seagate

BARRACUDA GREEN 2TB - 3.5IN 5900RPM 64MB SATA 6GB/S

manufacturer #: ST2000DL003

Seagate SmartAlign technology simplifies your transition to the Advanced Format (AF), 4K standard. There is no need for time-consuming integration utilities required by similar AF drives.

2 TB Seagate Barracuda LP ST32000542AS

I have two drives running CC34 for  a long while now with no issues. The clicking mentioned is due to drive recalibration when idle. Since I havnt expierience this and my drive SMART status is clean I havnt "upgraded" the firmware. The issue isnt data destructive.

My 2c

You can also add the Western Digital RE4-GP WD2002FYPS.  I'm using it as my parity and it works great. I get about 10 MB/s additional speed over the Hitachi I had previously...

Yes, but you're comparing a 32MB cache drive to the 64MB cache on the RE4.  I *want* an RE4 for my parity, but it costs twice the price of the Hitachi, unless you buy it from a guy on eBay who only used it for a few days...  :D

I saw at my local best buy had  Western Digital WD20000CSRTL.  Did anyone get this? And is this the wd eads?  Ok amazon, reviewer said it's eads or ears.  I am thinking of getting 1 or 2 and returning some of the seagate drives.  I'd like to follow the tip of buying different drives.

Seagate SmartAlign technology simplifies your transition to the Advanced Format (AF), 4K standard. There is no need for time-consuming integration utilities required by similar AF drives.

LOL This sounds like another Seagate tech support disaster waiting to happen....

I've lost most of the respect I had for Seagate with the 1.5TB firmware fiasco. Too bad, I really liked them. I'll probably stick to WD going forward.

I am sad to say there are no drives, except 1, that I would want to buy today.

I really liked the Seagate 750G .10 drives.

I really liked the WD 1T EACS and EADS drives. 

(I have not yet installed 2 2T EADS drives, but hope to like them as well.  But alas they are not available any more.)

I really don't like the Seagate LP drives.  I have 2 2T - but write performance goes into the toilet when the drive is about 2/3 full (my experience anyway).  I'll be filling these up and never writing to them again.  I won't be buying more.

I really don't like the EARS drives - mostly because of the jumper and all of hassles people have with them.  Maybe after unRAID natively supports these without the jumper, I might buy one.  But for now, I will pass.

The only drive currently available that I'd buy is the Hitachi 2T. Fast and just feel solid and dependable.  I use for parity and several data disks.  If they'd drop down into the $80 range again, I'd be up for more.

Just my $0.02.

I really don't like the EARS drives - mostly because of the jumper and all of hassles people have with them.

If you install the jumper prior to powering the drive up (which is what I've done with both my EARS drives) there are really no hassles - in my experience.

The only drives I've been offered around here are WD, Seagate and Samsung.  I've had big trouble with a Samsung, I really don't trust Seagate, so that just leaves the WD.  Of course, there's still a problem of supply.  What's available depends on the last shipment to this region ,,, and all the local shops will have the same devices in stock.  If you want something specific, you're asked to pay extra to cover shipping costs and then have to wait a couple of weeks.

Some people have had lock ups when preclearing a new EARS with jumper installed right out if the box. Others have had problems removing the jumper and getting the computer to even boot. Once unRaid supports 64 bit sector alignment, I can see scenarios where the jumper could be more than a minor annoyance. Not saying these are reasons to avoid the drive, as many people have had good experiences (like you are reporting). But for me, with other options making themselves available from time to time, I've decided to hold off.

You didn't mention Hitachi. I believe it is one of the better options right now. Just hard to find them on sale < $100.

Some people have had lock ups when preclearing a new EARS with jumper installed right out if the box.

I wonder whether the supplier had performed a pre-sales test without jumper?

Others have had problems removing the jumper and getting the computer to even boot.

Yes, it's known that removing the jumper can cause difficulties.

You didn't mention Hitachi. I believe it is one of the better options right now. Just hard to find them on sale < $100.

... and impossible to find them on sale, at any price, around here!

may i ask if Tom could say what 2TB drives he recommends, just really interested to see his choice.

and maybe if Joe L. could also say what 2TB drives he recommends

hope i did not offend by asking this

thanks

I always buy the least expensive hard drives I can find  ;D

Me too.  I purchase them when I see a good sale.    Most recent was a Seagate 2TB.

I prefer the 2TB 7200 RPM Hitachi drives over all the others.  Older more-mature-technology, less dense data (more platters), and no re-allocated sectors (I have 4 in my server, so far no bad/re-allocated sectors on any of them).  

may i ask if Tom could say what 2TB drives he recommends, just really interested to see his choice.

and maybe if Joe L. could also say what 2TB drives he recommends

hope i did not offend by asking this

thanks

I always buy the least expensive hard drives I can find  ;D

Me too.  I purchase them when I see a good sale.    Most recent was a Seagate 2TB.

I prefer the 2TB 7200 RPM Hitachi drives over all the others.  Older more-mature-technology, less dense data (more platters), and no re-allocated sectors (so far on any of them). 

The trick is to buy when your favorite drive IS the cheapest drive. ;)

• JorgeB unpinned this topic