Hey guys

First off i would like to thank you all for the well written guides which have made my unraid server almost perfect.

However i am always running into problems when it comes to non-US letters like ÁÆÞÖ. For example i cannot transfer files/folders containing these letters over sftp and the names are corrupt. Also i have noticed that subsonic leaves folders containing the letters out of the library.

When i use Filezilla and force utf-8 i can read the names of the files and folders correctly, but transfer fails because it cannot find the folder when it wants to transfer.

I have been reading about changing the whole server over to utf-8 by changing the locale, but i have not had any success in that.... and quite frankly dont know if that would solve my problems or create new ones.

Do you guys have any ideas what i could do in the situation?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Assuming you are using unRAID 4.5 or 4.6 (didn't tried with version before that), the only locale that are installed are C and POSIX. So, you can't support UTF-8 with those.

On my system, I've put my home directory on one of the disk managed by UnRAID so that I can put some stuff there that will stick from boot to boot. In the file .profile, I've put the line:

export LANG=en_US.UTF-8

You can put whatever you need. However, you also have to make sure to install the appropriate package. As I'm using unMenu, I've downloaded the following package:

http://www.slackware.org.il/slackware/slackware-12.2/slackware/l/glibc-i18n-2.7-noarch-17.tgz

and I put it in the /boot/packages. Following the instruction provided for unMenu, I've created a file for auto_install. This way, this package is reinstalled each time I reboot my system. And as the .profile is permanent as well for my user, when I ssh into my account, the LANG is correctly set and I can see all the french accentuated characters that are part of some of my files name.

I hope this help you a bit with your problem. If not, send your questions and I'll try to detail a little bit more.

Have a good day.

ehfortin

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for the answer, only saw your answer yesterday.

I tried installing the utf-8 package and including export LANG=en_US.UTF-8 in the subsonic startup script but that did not do the trick.

I´m using this guide:http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=4700.0

I will try again when i get back from work and will post if i get any results.

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much for the answer, only saw your answer yesterday.

I tried installing the utf-8 package and including export LANG=en_US.UTF-8 in the subsonic startup script but that did not do the trick.

I´m using this guide:http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=4700.0

I will try again when i get back from work and will post if i get any results.

hi steini84, struggling with the same problem, just wondering if you solved the accent problem with subsonic using this ? thanks.

i don't know if you saw this post over at the subsonic forums, http://www.activeobjects.no/subsonic/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1121&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=accents&start=0

Hi,

Assuming you are using unRAID 4.5 or 4.6 (didn't tried with version before that), the only locale that are installed are C and POSIX. So, you can't support UTF-8 with those.

On my system, I've put my home directory on one of the disk managed by UnRAID so that I can put some stuff there that will stick from boot to boot. In the file .profile, I've put the line:

export LANG=en_US.UTF-8

You can put whatever you need. However, you also have to make sure to install the appropriate package. As I'm using unMenu, I've downloaded the following package:

http://www.slackware.org.il/slackware/slackware-12.2/slackware/l/glibc-i18n-2.7-noarch-17.tgz

and I put it in the /boot/packages. Following the instruction provided for unMenu, I've created a file for auto_install. This way, this package is reinstalled each time I reboot my system. And as the .profile is permanent as well for my user, when I ssh into my account, the LANG is correctly set and I can see all the french accentuated characters that are part of some of my files name.

I hope this help you a bit with your problem. If not, send your questions and I'll try to detail a little bit more.

Have a good day.

ehfortin

hi ehfortin,

i was just wondering whether you can elaborate on the procedure to move the home directory to one of the managed disks. what files did you change? how did you get it to stick during reboots?

thanks