Power Module

Hi,

I am using my unRaid on Lenovo W530 laptop. In linux there is module called power module, which allows me to check if my computer is running on AC or battery. So the battery works like a very good ups. How can I add/enable power module in unRaid to check if I  have AC adapter connected ?

Second question is, where to put mu custom script to be started at unRaid boot. I would like to write a bash script that will check AC adapter connected and will shutdown unraid server after 5 minutes of no AC plugged in. I think this is very simple task, but I am not familiar with unraid strategy, so i don't know where to put it. In regular linux I would insert launch of my script in /etc/rc.local and script itselfe in /root/script/battery.sh.

But what is the unraid way to do this?

It is my home server for nas, dlna (streaming movies to TV), owncloud (sync data between stationary computer and my work laptop), dude (mikrotik CHR server).

Laptop is power efficient, has built in huge ups (battery), takes 1,5 U in my rack. It is perfect for server. W is workstation series with i7, two graphic cards, 32GB ram, 2 USB3.0 slots and two internal 2,5 inch hard drives and msata 512 GB drive for VMs and cache.

And also it is few years old computer, so I can sell it for little money or have great server at no cost. I will attach photo (2 usb drives attached under the shelf and fan). I think for home media server second hand, profesional series laptop is perfect and cost effective solution.

Therefore power module would be neet solution for ups. I think unRaid could provide package with modules compiled for their kernel, so one can copy only that specific module. I understand keeping system as light as possible, but at users own risk there schould be a way :)

IMG_20200519_123432.jpg

• 2 years later...

@Kacper Im looking to get into using Unraid for a storage and home automation and had been thinking of repurposing my old W530 to avoid having to buy an additional pc. I was about to give up on the idea until I randomly ran into your post.

Based on your experience, would you recommend using my W530 if this is my first time using Unraid? Im fairly new to the server space and my onlyexperience is with an off the shelf Synology NAS.