Log filling up with ACPI Errors

Hi all, 

Not sure how long it's been going on, so can't really say what triggered it, but my I received a warning from fix common problems today that my log was filling up. Indeed it is constantly being spammed with: 

May 20 16:18:09 Percy kernel: ACPI Error: SMBus/IPMI/GenericSerialBus write requires Buffer of length 66, found length 32 (20180810/exfield-390)
May 20 16:18:09 Percy kernel: ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed \_SB.PMI0._PMM, AE_AML_BUFFER_LIMIT (20180810/psparse-514)
May 20 16:18:09 Percy kernel: ACPI Error: AE_AML_BUFFER_LIMIT, Evaluating _PMM (20180810/power_meter-338)

Ad infinitum. 

I thought I'd reboot to see if it helped and to get a clean diagnostics (attached) but of course that now means we can't  determine how long it's been going on. Sorry about that.

I'll reboot and run it in safe mode now to see if I get the same error, and will report back.

percy-diagnostics-20200520-1608.zip

EDIT: can confirm that I get the same error in safe mode :/

Edited by jademonkee
Safe mode info

Ok doing some googling and apparently it's a common thing with HPE servers, but it's super strange that it's only just started appearing, right? Especially since it's not due to a plugin I installed or anything (as it remains in safe mode, too). 

If anyone knows anything more about it, I'd be grateful, so I can understand why it seems to have only recently appeared on my system. 

In the mean time, I'll see if the fix mentioned in this thread works: 

Confirming that adding 

rmmod acpi_power_meter

to the end of my flash/config/go file did indeed fix the problem of the log filling up.

Although I also have this error in my log (probably there before, just swallowed by the other error): 

May 20 16:46:58 Percy nginx: 2020/05/20 16:46:58 [error] 5620#5620: *423 FastCGI sent in stderr: "Primary script unknown" while reading response header from upstream, client: 127.0.0.1, server: , request: "GET /admin/api.php?version HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.sock:", host: "127.0.0.1"

Any ideas on that one?

EDIT: looks like it was related to the Netdata Docker container (it appeared in the log the line after its startup notification). I disabled auto start for it and rebooted and the error didn't reappear in the log. 

So all good here! What a journey!

I guess it makes sense to keep this thread here for posterity, even though it was only me, alone, shouting into the void.

Edited by jademonkee
  • Like 2