Can't access webgui form anywhere

Help! I just started with unraid. Everything went smooth up until now. I was trying to get plex media server running and now I can't reach the webgui.

I've tried restarting the tower but it didn't work. I don't know what to do.

I tried logging in by connecting a monitor to my server but it just says the login informations are wrong.

Please help

Just now, trurl said:

The user name for the console and webUI is 'root'. Unless you have set a password, leave the password blank.

I've set a password, yet it doesn't let me do much. When I try to type in the password it doesn't write anything.

Honestly I don't know if that's the problem. When i first got it running it did the same thing but I could access it through the webgui and the file explorer. Now either of them work

So, I've tried re-flashing the drive and saving the config files. I've managed to access the webgui but only through the IPv4 adress and for a short time. I saw my trial (which started yesterday but doesn't matter) expired but before I could do anything else it timed me out of the page. 

Accessing the tower through its name still doesn't work.

I thought I should maybe configure it for the ip to be static, but I don't know how to configure DNS.

I put it into a different usb2 but nothing much changed.

I've managed to access the webgui by setting the servers IP adress to static. Now i can access using the ip andress and the trial doesn't show to be expired anymore, though the https://tower still doesn't work, so I don't think I've adressed the right problem. Eventually it will also shut down the array but I haven't had time to look into it. Maybe it's some setting I'm missing?

I had this experience too.

Only way for me was to use another computer.

Login in on my router from the other computer to see what IP address my unraid server got.

Then let unraid run quite long after start. And finally I somehow managed to type unraid IP in browser of my other computer and log in (I had extra direct cable between computer and unraid server). Router managed to show unraid IP to me but I could not connect through it since unraid IP was outside of set router DHCP range.

When inside unraid, fix common problems showed me this kind of problem

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/89462-unraid-os-version-683-available/?do=findComment&comment=849149

I changed those "DNS" settings in my router.

Also I had these problems

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/89462-unraid-os-version-683-available/?do=findComment&comment=841960

Had to fix that too. I chose to Disable Dockers and VM Manager in settings, don't forget "Enable: No" and then <apply> on both then reboot, so you can edit network settings.

Then in Settings/Network settings i changed eth0: to bridge with my eth1:.

I have unraid connected (copper cable ethernet) with my eth1: 10 Gb port and unraid is slow booting up with it so bond fails and result is unraid geting strange IP that is out of my router set range.

After bridging it with my 1 Gb eth0: port (I bridged my 1 Gb eth0 with eth1: actually) then boot/start went fast again and unraid got IP as I had set up in router (inside router DHCP range, and static as I had set it to).

After that it works again.

Even reordering so my 10 Gb port becomes eth0: still results in slow start/bootup. "Starting haveged entropy daemon:" shows during 1 minute or something before continuing and it says something about bond0 "not working".

Above bridge solution bundled my eth1 with the "hardware first port" (shows up on top with default new unraid) and that is since 6.8.2 (I think) my eth0: 1 Gb,  and then it got fast booting up again, no "bond0" issue.

I do not use any cable to eth0: 1 Gb port to clarify.

Prior to 6.8.2 (until 6.8.1) or something the kernels put my 10 Gb port on top as eth0: so then I did not experience these issues.

I guess I could as well use a cable only on eth0: (now since 6.8.2 my 1 Gb) and it will probably work too, but I don't want to.

3rd thing I did was to untick my USB port passthrough in my VFIO-PCI CFG plugin. But even when I plugged in my keyboard in a USB port that was not passed through the keyboard was dead (no lights) and didn't work in unraid GUI boot mode after haveged daemon part. But after above fixes from another computer it works.

Edited by Alexander
On 5/24/2020 at 4:35 PM, trurl said:

Have you done memtest?

I tried doing it with unRaid from the boot menu but every time it just restarted. I tried re-inserting the memory just to be sure there is no false contact and also swapped it out for some other modules from my main pc but still, just restarted over and over again every time I tried.

Anyway, I did the test on my main pc with my server's module and got 0 errors

On 5/24/2020 at 7:56 PM, Alexander said:

I had this experience too.

Hi, I wanted to thank you for the post.

I was just getting mentally prepared to do all of this but now, again, i can't manage to access the webgui. So now i'm back to the original title of these posts...

Is it possible to install unraid on a different usb and start from scratch? If so, would it be a viable option? Would I lose all of my data?

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Can you access the webUI by IP? 

unfortunately not. 

1 hour ago, trurl said:

What is the IP address of your Unraid? Are all your computers on the same subnet?

my server's ip is set to static: 192.168.1.6 

I checked and at least my main pc and the unraid rig are on the same subnet.

I tried booting my server from a different usb stick and I'm not quite sure if what happened was all right. 

It bootet normally, just slower. On the console the server name was Tower and the ip 169.254.200.22. I double checked it on my router and even could access the webgui. The trial didn't show (as one would expect), but everything was as I had configured (also the name was Friariello and not tower). What really stranged me out was the fact that in the network settings it all was configured to be static on this ip 192.168.1.6.

So, I booted with both the old and the newly flashed usb.

30 minutes ago, Nils said:

As before, I could login with this adress. The login didn't require any password. Checking the trial status it prompted me to adjust the network settings and so I set the static IPv4 to 192.168.1.100

Now the trial shows the days remaining and the servers seems to let me do everything I could do before, only I don't know if it's going to occasionally stop like it also was doing before. Now the webgui is accessable through the ip I set.

Rebooting the system again and the ip I set before times out the page. The only way to access it is through this 169.254.200.22 ip. Again, the trial " Cannot connect to key-server! ".

I went to the network setting to change the IPv4 again (this time to 192.168.1.99). just like before it "works"

I'm starting to guess it's a problem with my usb device...

Just to be sure I attached the diagnostics and system log files if it's in any case helpful.

friariello-syslog-20200528-1441.zip friariello-diagnostics-20200528-1641.zip

Edited by Nils
mistakes

I was browsing the webgui when the common problems plugin suggested I have a hardware issue and that I should download mcelog through nerdtools but the command doesn't work and prompts me to edac_mce_amd instead. Only problem, apparently this edac_mce_amd isn't available.

Since I have already swapped out the ram, it can't be that that is malfunctioning. That leaves the mobo and the cpu. 

going through the system log I found this

May 28 10:51:52 Tower kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged

May 28 10:51:52 Tower kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 3: Machine Check: 0 Bank 5: bea0000000000108

May 28 10:51:52 Tower kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC 0 ADDR 1ffff8105436c MISC d012000100000000 SYND 4d000000 IPID 500b000000000

May 28 10:51:52 Tower kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 2:800f11 TIME 1590688294 SOCKET 0 APIC 6 microcode 8001138

Edited by Nils
new results

169.... means it isn't getting an IP address so it makes one up. That IP address is not generally useful.

Everything on my network uses DHCP. I have IP reservations by MAC address in my router for all wired devices. So I have static IPs for many things, but they are all managed from a single place, my router.

If you set a static IP on your server there is nothing to prevent something else taking that IP except you making sure other things on your network use other IPs.

OK I just reproduced the problem on my unraid and it is not the same problem you have.

You get an IP address so your unraid port works.

Since you get a 169.254.x.x address your routers DHCP doesn't seem to work or be set right.

your DHCP server has a problem and cannot allocate an IP address. When Windows and any other OS is configured to get an IP via DHCP and they don't get any, they automatically assign 169.254.xxx.xxx IP

Source: https://superuser.com/questions/238625/why-is-windows-default-ip-address-169-xx-xx-xx

https://www.lifewire.com/automatic-private-internet-protocol-addressing-816437

"When the DHCP process fails, Windows automatically assigns an IP address from the private range, which is 169.254.0.1 to 169.254.254.255."

Do not read "Windows" litterally above it applies to all kind of OSes.

Try to fix your router DHCP settings.

--------------------------------------------------------

Now I describe my case.

I disabled my bridge of eth0: and eth1:

When the cable was connected to eth1: or eth2: result was "IPv4 address not set" at unraid boot/start.

Then it was impossible to connect to it remotely or do anything meaningful except login and write "command like things".

I have 3 LAN ports on my motherboard (shows up as eth0: eth1: eth2:).

Link to my motherboard if someone needs it: https://asrock.com/MB/Intel/Fatal1ty Z370 Professional Gaming i7/index.asp

The copper (ethernet) cable had to be connected to the original eth0: port to get an IPv4 address on my machine.

The unnraid ipv4 address is the one I set the router to appoint to the port (static) or one random from the DHCP range I set the router to use on the LAN when I disabled the "static" rule.

If you have several ports on your computer try to connect them one at a time (cycle connection through them) to your router and start your unraid machine each time.

Hopefully with one of the connections unraid will get an IPv4 address. Then you can use it.

If you like me, then still want to use a "non working" port connected alone to your router instead, a solution I found was to bridge the used port together with the working port in Network Settings.

After that your options is to not connect anything to the "working" port, or connect an extra connection to it as well if you like.

In my case there is little use to connect it (my eth0:) since it would only add 1 Gb to my eth1: 10 Gb port and I prefer to have less cables around.

As I pointed out you can only edit Network Settings with the Docker and VMs turned off, so you should not see DOCKER and VM in the unraid menu when you change your Network Settings.

In Network Settings in my case I set "Enable bridging: Yes" and "Bridge members of br0: eth0,eth1".

Edited by Alexander
On 5/28/2020 at 8:28 PM, trurl said:

If you set a static IP on your server there is nothing to prevent something else taking that IP except you making sure other things on your network use other IPs.

I have set a DHCP reservation on my router for the server and now it seems to be more reliable.

On 5/28/2020 at 8:29 PM, itimpi said:

Getting a 169.254.x.x address indicates a networking problem of some sort.

I'm certain of it, though it's not the only problem i think.

On 5/28/2020 at 9:46 PM, Alexander said:

If you like me, then still want to use a "non working" port connected alone to your router instead, a solution I found was to bridge the used port together with the working port in Network Settings.

After that your options is to not connect anything to the "working" port, or connect an extra connection to it as well if you like.

From my understanding, since I only have one ethernet port on my server I don't have much choice. That said, I'll go on my network settings on my server and router to see if it's all right now.