Blank Screen via GPU Passthrough (Windows ONLY)

Hi All, Ive been trying to get GPU passthrough to work on my rig with the following specs:

I5-6600K

AsRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4/D3

32 GB DDR3 RAM

Asus 980Ti Strix 6GB

Zotac 560Ti 1GB

Ive been reading a lot on the forums regarding some config changes that are known to work for Nvidia cards. Had also checked out many of SPace Invaders videos to see how he overcame some of these GPU related issues.

Stuff Ive Tried so far:

• Ive tried switching the BIOS between SEABIOS and OVMF. 
  • Ive tried switching the system between Q35 and i440fx.
  • Iver tried both my cards listed above, but still no display. HDMI as well as Display Port.
  • Tried Setting Hyper-V to NO.
  • For the Vbios, Ive extracted it via GPU-z and then edited via a Hex Editor to clear out any junk. Ive even tried the ones from TechPowerUp with some cleanup tasks.
  • Ive also been building VM`s from scratch to make sure I dont run into any stale config problems.
  • I even tried reverting the display driver in the windows VM, back to MS`s basic display driver.

This does work however when I use VNC as the display driver. 

UPDATE : AN Ubuntu VM goes via the GPU passthrough just fine. I do hear some weird ripply sound effect via the HDMI output though. So its only affecting Windows Images looks like.

None of the stuff Ive tried has really worked. I`m probably overseeing something really obvious, so Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ive attached my diagnostics just in case you want to have a look.

UPDATE AFTER A FEW HOURS:

I just tried swapping my GPU`s in my system ; still dont get a display with the Windows VM`s.....

Strange enough, even my Ubuntu VM has stopped displaying via my graphics cards....Might be something I did honestly

I`m not sure what i`m doing wrong, at this point

Ive been at this for hours now. I just cant get Windows to boot reliably on UNRAID. I did manage to have it boot using the Q35 bios, keeping Hyper V OFF, and ensuring that all Bus`s were set to "SATA". But it just booted once and i noticed the Keyboard and Mouse died in between the install process.

Heres the log from the latest Image I built, with the options I mentioned above. Only this time nothing on the screen :

No errors that I can identify with......

-nodefaults \
-chardev socket,id=charmonitor,fd=33,server,nowait \
-mon chardev=charmonitor,id=monitor,mode=control \
-rtc base=localtime,driftfix=slew \
-global kvm-pit.lost_tick_policy=delay \
-no-hpet \
-no-shutdown \
-boot strict=on \
-device pcie-root-port,port=0x8,chassis=1,id=pci.1,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,addr=0x1 \
-device pcie-root-port,port=0x9,chassis=2,id=pci.2,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1.0x1 \
-device pcie-root-port,port=0xa,chassis=3,id=pci.3,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1.0x2 \
-device pcie-root-port,port=0xb,chassis=4,id=pci.4,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1.0x3 \
-device pcie-root-port,port=0xc,chassis=5,id=pci.5,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1.0x4 \
-device ich9-usb-ehci1,id=usb,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x7.0x7 \
-device ich9-usb-uhci1,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=0,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,addr=0x7 \
-device ich9-usb-uhci2,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=2,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x7.0x1 \
-device ich9-usb-uhci3,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=4,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x7.0x2 \
-device virtio-serial-pci,id=virtio-serial0,bus=pci.2,addr=0x0 \
-blockdev '{"driver":"file","filename":"/mnt/user/isos/Win10_1909_English_x64.iso","node-name":"libvirt-2-storage","auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
-blockdev '{"node-name":"libvirt-2-format","read-only":true,"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-2-storage"}' \
-device ide-cd,bus=ide.0,drive=libvirt-2-format,id=sata0-0-0,bootindex=2 \
-blockdev '{"driver":"file","filename":"/mnt/user/domains/Windows 10Blank Screen/vdisk1.img","node-name":"libvirt-1-storage","cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
-blockdev '{"node-name":"libvirt-1-format","read-only":false,"cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-1-storage"}' \
-device ide-hd,bus=ide.2,drive=libvirt-1-format,id=sata0-0-2,bootindex=1,write-cache=on \
-netdev tap,fd=35,id=hostnet0,vhost=on,vhostfd=36 \
-device virtio-net-pci,netdev=hostnet0,id=net0,mac=52:54:00:a2:12:12,bus=pci.1,addr=0x0 \
-chardev pty,id=charserial0 \
-device isa-serial,chardev=charserial0,id=serial0 \
-chardev socket,id=charchannel0,fd=37,server,nowait \
-device virtserialport,bus=virtio-serial0.0,nr=1,chardev=charchannel0,id=channel0,name=org.qemu.guest_agent.0 \
-device vfio-pci,host=0000:07:00.0,id=hostdev0,x-vga=on,bus=pci.3,addr=0x0,romfile=/vROM/ASUS980Ti.rom \
-device vfio-pci,host=0000:07:00.1,id=hostdev1,bus=pci.4,addr=0x0 \
-device usb-host,hostbus=1,hostaddr=11,id=hostdev2,bus=usb.0,port=1 \
-device usb-host,hostbus=2,hostaddr=2,id=hostdev3,bus=usb.0,port=2 \
-device usb-host,hostbus=1,hostaddr=10,id=hostdev4,bus=usb.0,port=3 \
-sandbox on,obsolete=deny,elevateprivileges=deny,spawn=deny,resourcecontrol=deny \
-msg timestamp=on
2020-05-22 06:51:12.439+0000: Domain id=39 is tainted: high-privileges
2020-05-22 06:51:12.439+0000: Domain id=39 is tainted: host-cpu
char device redirected to /dev/pts/0 (label charserial0)
2020-05-22T06:54:48.692769Z qemu-system-x86_64: libusb_release_interface: -4 [NO_DEVICE]
2020-05-22T06:54:48.692868Z qemu-system-x86_64: libusb_release_interface: -4 [NO_DEVICE]
2020-05-22T06:54:48.692910Z qemu-system-x86_64: libusb_release_interface: -4 [NO_DEVICE]

Ive compared XML files with Working Ubuntu machines and cannot see anything wrong with the bus and slot assignments.

If you guys have any clues, happy to follow......

tower-diagnostics-20200521-1604.zip

Edited by Mythzz

Update so far:

Ive got Ubuntu and other Linux distros working well. For the stuttery audio issue, I reffered the fix mentioned here https://forums.unraid.net/topic/53062-ubuntu-16041-x64-quotdemonicquot-audio/ , and it worked like a charm.

But I STILL CANNOT get a Windows VM to boot. I did notice that it had booted ONCE via both my Display cards, and after that Nothing. Anyone with pointers?

Todays findings:

I followed the instructions from Spies, here

. Seemed pretty close to what Ive been experiencing.

Kept the machine specs as is and the added the following line to my sysLinux section (You can get the PCI adresss from Tools > System Devices):

append vfio-pci.ids=10dxx:12xx10xx:0exx initrd=/bzroot,/bzroot-gui

And then rebooted UNRAID.

The Windows VM again, Launched once.....and post a reboot, dead as a door nail. I did happen to notice, during the time it showed up, the Keyboard and mouse were unresponsive. So I unplugged all the USB devices and tried again, no display.

I modified the line in SYSlinux to look like this:

append vfio-pci.ids=10dxx:12xx10xx:0exx video=efifb:off  initrd=/bzroot

Still nothing from the Windows VM

I even tried this one (With a reboot)

append vfio-pci.ids=10dxx:12xx10xx:0exx pcie_aspm=off iommu=pt video=efifb:off initrd=/bzroot

No video output from the WIndows VM.

I`m still not seeing any errors in the logs section of the VM

-display none \  ---->  I wonder if this means anything.....I dont see that line with my Linux Distros
-no-user-config \
-nodefaults \
-rtc base=localtime \
-no-hpet \
-no-shutdown \
-boot strict=on \
-device ich9-usb-ehci1,id=usb,bus=pci.0,addr=0x7.0x7 \
-device ich9-usb-uhci1,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=0,bus=pci.0,multifunction=on,addr=0x7 \
-device ich9-usb-uhci2,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=2,bus=pci.0,addr=0x7.0x1 \
-device ich9-usb-uhci3,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=4,bus=pci.0,addr=0x7.0x2 \
-device ahci,id=sata0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x3 \
-device virtio-serial-pci,id=virtio-serial0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x4 \
-blockdev '{"driver":"file","filename":"/mnt/user/domains/Windows 10/vdisk1.img","node-name":"libvirt-2-storage","cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
-blockdev '{"node-name":"libvirt-2-format","read-only":false,"cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-2-storage"}' \
-device ide-hd,bus=sata0.2,drive=libvirt-2-format,id=sata0-0-2,bootindex=1,write-cache=on \
-blockdev '{"driver":"file","filename":"/mnt/user/isos/Win10_1909_English_x64.iso","node-name":"libvirt-1-storage","auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
-blockdev '{"node-name":"libvirt-1-format","read-only":true,"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-1-storage"}' \
-device ide-cd,bus=ide.0,unit=0,drive=libvirt-1-format,id=ide0-0-0,bootindex=2 \
-device virtio-net-pci,netdev=hostnet0,id=net0,mac=52:54:00:8b:be:09,bus=pci.0,addr=0x2 \
-device virtserialport,bus=virtio-serial0.0,nr=1,chardev=charchannel0,id=channel0,name=org.qemu.guest_agent.0 \
-device vfio-pci,host=0000:01:00.0,id=hostdev0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x5,romfile=/vROM/ZotacGF560ti.rom \
-device vfio-pci,host=0000:01:00.1,id=hostdev1,bus=pci.0,addr=0x6 \
-device usb-host,hostbus=1,hostaddr=3,id=hostdev2,bus=usb.0,port=1 \
-device usb-host,hostbus=1,hostaddr=9,id=hostdev3,bus=usb.0,port=2 \
-sandbox on,obsolete=deny,elevateprivileges=deny,spawn=deny,resourcecontrol=deny \
-msg timestamp=on
2020-05-24 08:48:26.276+0000: Domain id=9 is tainted: high-privileges
2020-05-24 08:48:26.276+0000: Domain id=9 is tainted: host-cpu

The weird thing is.....Ive read forums where they`ve mentioned that rebooting UNRAID does bring their VM`s back. But in my case even a reboot isnt helping initialize its display.

Well, that was SOME progress compared to none. Back to the drawing board.

Edited by Mythzz

And a few hours later....:

Just had a look through one of Space invaders Videos for GPU passthrough:

VM Specs : 2 Core Passthrough CPU + Q35 + Seabios + HyperV = No, All drives set on SATA, GPU = 560Ti with HDMI sound

I`ve used a modified vBIOS as instructed. 

Here is the XML out put for the GPU and its sound card:

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes' xvga='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <rom file='/vROM/ZotacGF560ti.rom'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </hostdev>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
    </hostdev>

Modified the SLOT and BUS to match with the initial line, still no output for the windows VM. As usual : Linux works fine with this GPU and my 980Ti.

Runnning out of forums and ideas.......

Anyone going through this, please let me know If i`m missing anything. UNRAID experts : ANY advice would be helpful.

Create a new XML and set everything via the GUI, don't change anything in the XML for now.

I would suggest you dump your own vbios from within windows, then strip the header out. My BIOS dump in unraid didn't work, but the official BIOS from MSI did.

I did create my own vROM using GPU-z in Windows. Worked for my Linux VM`s.

I created a new Windows VM via the GUI, (M Specs : 2 Core Passthrough CPU + Q35 + Seabios + HyperV = No, All drives set on SATA, GPU = 560Ti with HDMI sound). Didnt touch the XML part.

Nothing on the screen. Ive tried both : HDMI and DP

Heres the Log for that newly created VM:

-display none \
-no-user-config \
-nodefaults \
-chardev socket,id=charmonitor,fd=34,server,nowait \
-rtc base=localtime,driftfix=slew \
-no-hpet \
-no-shutdown \
-boot strict=on \
-device pcie-root-port,port=0x8,chassis=1,id=pci.1,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,addr=0x1 \
-device ich9-usb-uhci1,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=0,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,addr=0x7 \
-blockdev '{"driver":"file","filename":"/mnt/user/isos/Win10_1909_English_x64.iso","node-name":"libvirt-2-storage","auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
-blockdev '{"node-name":"libvirt-2-format","read-only":true,"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-2-storage"}' \
-device ide-cd,bus=ide.0,drive=libvirt-2-format,id=sata0-0-0,bootindex=2 \
-blockdev '{"driver":"file","filename":"/mnt/user/domains/Windows 10/vdisk1.img","node-name":"libvirt-1-storage","cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
-blockdev '{"node-name":"libvirt-1-format","read-only":false,"cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-1-storage"}' \
-device ide-hd,bus=ide.2,drive=libvirt-1-format,id=sata0-0-2,bootindex=1,write-cache=on \
-netdev tap,fd=36,id=hostnet0,vhost=on,vhostfd=37 \
-device virtio-net-pci,netdev=hostnet0,id=net0,mac=52:54:00:72:0e:fc,bus=pci.1,addr=0x0 \
-chardev socket,id=charchannel0,fd=38,server,nowait \
-device vfio-pci,host=0000:01:00.0,id=hostdev0,x-vga=on,bus=pci.3,addr=0x0,romfile=/vROM/ZotacGF560ti.rom \
-device vfio-pci,host=0000:01:00.1,id=hostdev1,bus=pci.4,addr=0x0 \
-device usb-host,hostbus=1,hostaddr=2,id=hostdev2,bus=usb.0,port=1 \
-msg timestamp=on
2020-05-24 13:28:00.840+0000: Domain id=10 is tainted: high-privileges
2020-05-24 13:28:00.840+0000: Domain id=10 is tainted: host-cpu
char device redirected to /dev/pts/2 (label charserial0)

4 minutes ago, Mythzz said:

Its the only one that worked when I was mucking around with this initially. I did try OVMF in the beginning, but that didnt get me anywhere. 

Me motherboards an ASRock > Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4/D3. And it does support UEFI.

Are you booting unraid in legacy mode?

What happens on bootup, does the text freeze on the screen at a certain point or do you see the login prompt?

If stubbing is working, it should stop around the line where it mentions VGA.

Try with a very basic VM, do Q35 with OVMF, leave hyper V on for now, don't attach any drives and see if you get the EFI boot screen.

Edited by Spies

Are you booting unraid in legacy mode?

Yep, this was Legacy by default

What happens on bootup, does the text freeze on the screen at a certain point or do you see the login prompt?

If you`re asking about UNRAIDS bootup, it boots right upto the prompt.

Try with a very basic VM, do Q35 with OVMF, leave hyper V on for now, don't attach any drives and see if you get the EFI boot screen.

I know I tried that a few days ago. But I lost track of all the combinations......ANyway made a new VM with the specs you mentioned. Blank screen as usual.

Show me how please? Fairly new at this. Are you referring to anything under the sysconfig section?

Heres what I have:

kernel /bzimage
append vfio-pci.ids=10de:1200,10de:0e0c pcie_aspm=off iommu=pt video=efifb:off initrd=/bzroot

Edited by Mythzz

I do have 2 cards in my system. I have tested both of them using Linux and they work brilliantly. I had 2 Linux machines running on individual cards, simultaneously. At the moment, my 560Ti is the primary card (top slot). I did have the 980Ti in my top slot earlier, but never had any success with Windows.

I did leave one card in the system earlier, just to see if it would make a difference to Windows (first i removed the 560Ti, and then ONLY the 980Ti). Linux worked, but not Windows.

I`ll try the Plugin you mentioned for Stubbing the DIsplay card correctly.  These are my display cards under system devices :

560TI

IOMMU group 1:[8086:1901] 00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/E3-1500 v5/6th Gen Core Processor PCIe Controller (x16) (rev 07)

[10de:1200] 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF114 [GeForce GTX 560 Ti] (rev a1)

[10de:0e0c] 01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF114 HDMI Audio Controller (rev a1)

980Ti

IOMMU group 15:[10de:17c8] 07:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM200 [GeForce GTX 980 Ti] (rev a1)

[10de:0fb0] 07:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GM200 High Definition Audio (rev a1)

Look alright?

It needs to be in its own group, that has a PCI bridge in the there too, you might need to use ACS override to split the group's further.

Are you saying Linux VMs under unraids QEMU work fine?

If you have 2 cards in your system you should only have to supply the vbios and stub to primary card, secondary card wouldn't have been initialised by unraid.

If primary card is properly stubbed, terminal on the monitor should stop long before the login prompt.

Edited by Spies
58 minutes ago, Spies said:

It needs to be in its own group, that has a PCI bridge in the there too, you might need to use ACS override to split the group's further.

-- Worth a try, Lemme see if I can figure out how to separate them

Are you saying Linux VMs under unraids QEMU work fine?

-- The QEMU Virtual CPU? I never got that option to run. It keeps defaulting back to the H/W CPU.

If you`re asking about the GPUS (560Ti - Slot 1 , and 980Ti - Slot 2) - Yeah Linux VM`s work perfectly under these. I have an Ubuntu Machine running as we chat. Picture below.....Oh and just as a reminder, I can run 2 Ubuntu VM`s running from both the GPUS with no problem whatsoever.

image.thumb.png.5e750d84df0aedd64d49cf757e34a732.png

58 minutes ago, Spies said:

If you have 2 cards in your system you should only have to supply the vbios and stub to primary card, secondary card wouldn't have been initialised by unraid.

-- Well make that 3......the 2 Ive already mentioned, plus the iGPU

If primary card is properly stubbed, terminal on the monitor should stop long before the login prompt.

-- Would it help if I told you that Ive set the BIOS`s primary display to the iGPU? It still goes all the way to the prompt AFAIK. 

Thats a good idea.

Do you think this is a good approach? I`ll create a WIndows VM using VNC as the display driver. So i can at least complete the installation. That way once I attach the Windows IMG to the Ubuntu profile (even if it doesnt display anything via the GPU), we can at least TRY to RDP to it to see whats wrong.

16 hours ago, Spies said:

What's happens if you change the HDD IMG to windows in the Ubuntu one?

I tried to attach a Windows VM from the Ubuntu profile......Darn thing keeps reveting back to the original one. I tried a New Ubuntu Profile and the same thing happened there as well.

Edit : Ignore the last one. I got it to attach. No dosplay again though 😞

Heres the log of the Ubuntu VM profile, with the attached Windows HDD:

-overcommit mem-lock=off \
-smp 1,sockets=1,cores=1,threads=1 \
-uuid 58769148-74e7-be3c-1f20-6ab31d4c8219 \
-display none \
-no-user-config \
-nodefaults \
-rtc base=utc,driftfix=slew \
-no-hpet \
-no-shutdown \
-boot strict=on \
-blockdev '{"driver":"file","filename":"/mnt/user/domains/Windows 10 - VNC/vdisk1.img","node-name":"libvirt-1-storage","cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
-device virtio-net-pci,netdev=hostnet0,id=net0,mac=52:54:00:d3:c6:ba,bus=pci.1,addr=0x0 \
-device vfio-pci,host=0000:07:00.0,id=hostdev0,bus=pci.3,addr=0x0,romfile=/vROM/Asus.GTX980Ti.6144.151012.rom \
-device vfio-pci,host=0000:07:00.1,id=hostdev1,bus=pci.4,addr=0x0 \
-device usb-host,hostbus=1,hostaddr=2,id=hostdev2,bus=usb.0,port=1 \
-msg timestamp=on
2020-05-25 10:41:01.892+0000: Domain id=1 is tainted: high-privileges
2020-05-25 10:41:01.892+0000: Domain id=1 is tainted: host-cpu

No errors sadly.......

Edited by Mythzz

Dude it worked!!! I just restarted the machine a couple of times to make sure I wasnt seeing things. I could even see the OVMF screen pop up.

Does this mean each time I make a Windows VM, ill have to first VNC the VM, then use an RDP console to install drivers manually each time?

Just now, Mythzz said:

Dude it worked!!! I just restarted the machine a couple of times to make sure I wasnt seeing things. I could even see the OVMF screen pop up.

Does this mean each time I make a Windows VM, ill have to first VNC the VM, then use an RDP console to install drivers manually each time?

Not sure, windows would usually take care of it on it's own, but if it works, it works :)

• Like 1