Parity drive speed question

Hi all -

I am looking to build a new UnRAID Plex server soon.  The purpose of it is to host a Plex media server.  Easy enough.

The storage disks will be 5400 RPM.

I am wondering if I should spring for my parity drives to be a bit faster in the event of a parity rebuild.  Would it help with the speed of the rebuild effort, or does it just not matter?

Edited by Jason Harris
42 minutes ago, Jason Harris said:

Hi all -

I am looking to build a new UnRAID Plex server soon.  The purpose of it is to host a Plex media server.  Easy enough.

The storage disks will be 5400 RPM.

I am wondering if I should spring for my parity drives to be a bit faster in the event of a parity rebuild.  Would it help with the speed of the rebuild effort, or does it just not matter?

The write speed will be dictated by the slowest disks that are accessed during writes. And since parity disk(s) are always accessed during writes, the general recommendation is to use the fastest disks you have in the array as the parity disk(s).

Edited by Phoenix Down
  • Like 1
23 hours ago, Jason Harris said:

faster in the event of a parity rebuild.  Would it help with the speed of the rebuild effort, or does it just not matter?

All the remaining drives must be accurately read to recreate the missing disk, not just the parity drive. The rebuild will be limited by the read speed of the slowest drive / interface in the parity protected array.