OpenVPN Asus Router

Hi, 

community, this is my first post as a new Unraid user coming from FreeNas. I'm loving Unraid so far but I'm struggling with OpenVPN.

The reason I want to use it, Is because I like being in control when I'm on the road if I want to add a nzb to SABnzb or I want to add a new series to Sonarr or Sickchill and so on. Now I tried at first setting up OpenVPN on the Unraid server. Which worked locally but not remote.. for what reason whatsoever... 

So I tried setting it up on the router (ASUS GT-AX11000). This works locally and remote! So I thought I did it. But for some reason I can't access my containers... or anything from Unraid. I can access my router and other stuff in my network remotely but not Unraid. Any help would be appreciated. 

Edited by SpaceXp626

Not a direct answer to your question, but have you tried using the WireGuard VPN capability that is built into 6.8.3 or later?   It has the advantage that it can access Unraid even when the array is not started as it runs as a system level service.  

i actually have both WireGuard and the OpenVPN-as docker container installed on my server so that if I make a change remotely that breaks one of them I can then get in via the other option to fix it.

Regarding your openvpn setup which version are you using when you run it on Unraid?  A plugin version or one of the Docker container versions?   IT is very strange, though, that with the router running it you cannot access Unraid when other devices on the Lan are reachable.

4 hours ago, itimpi said:

Not a direct answer to your question, but have you tried using the WireGuard VPN capability that is built into 6.8.3 or later?   It has the advantage that it can access Unraid even when the array is not started as it runs as a system level service.  

i actually have both WireGuard and the OpenVPN-as docker container installed on my server so that if I make a change remotely that breaks one of them I can then get in via the other option to fix it.

Regarding your openvpn setup which version are you using when you run it on Unraid?  A plugin version or one of the Docker container versions?   IT is very strange, though, that with the router running it you cannot access Unraid when other devices on the Lan are reachable.

I'm running 6.8.3 Unraid. Where do I find WireGuard? Can't seem to find it.

Version of OpenVPN I tried using is the linuxserver version OpenVPN as in a docker container.

As with my router, yeah it's very strange. Or do I need to setup something in de containers I want to reach when using the VPN? Maybe I forgot something

Edited by SpaceXp626