Cache Disk Full

Hi all,

I'm having some issues with my installation of unraid. Initially I had issues with my delugeVPN  docker, and managed to resolve that, but then noticed that my log file was filling up quite quickly. Looking in the logs there is various space issues mentioned and then I looked at my cache disk and noticed it was basically full.

I've tried a few things to resolve - run the mover etc, but this doesn't seem to do anything. The Array is less than 50% full, so I don't believe that's the problem.

These are the kind of errors i'm seeing in the log:

image.png.86c18cd52a791789acd9b8dcbc2648f1.png

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer or advice.

Your cache is too small to use for much except appdata and other docker/VM related shares (domains, system). Stop writing to your server until you get everything else moved from cache.

domains and system are all on cache where they belong so they are looking good. Don't change anything about them.

appdata is cache-prefer, which is how it should normally be, except it has apparently overflowed and has files all over the array now. Set appdata to cache-only for now so it will be ignored by mover until we get other things moved off cache.

You have a share anonymized as M---a, probably Media, which I'm sure is the main culprit. You currently have that set to cache-no, which mover ignores, and it has files on cache. Probably you set it to cache-no trying to fix your problem. Set that share to cache-yes.

Then run Mover (Array Operation - Move Now). Wait for it to complete then post new diagnostics so we can check your progress. There are going to be some additional steps required to get things as they should be.

• Thanks 1

OK. Media is all on the array now, but your cache is still mostly full. Do you have any VMs?

I now see what the main culprit actually is though. Your docker image is 80G. 20G should be more than enough, and if it's not you have one or more of your docker applications misconfigured. I see you're currently using only 13G so that isn't unreasonable. Why did you set it to 80G? Have you had problems filling docker image? Making it larger won't fix the problem of filling docker image, it will just make it take longer to fill.

Go to Settings - Docker, disable and then delete the docker image from that same page. Change it to 20G and enable to recreate. Then go to the Apps page and use the Previous Apps feature. It will let you reinstall your dockers exactly as they were.

Then post new diagnostics.

• Thanks 1

Thanks again Trurl.

I only set the docker image as 80gb recently, and that was in my poor attempts to troubleshoot the problem - i thought the additional space might help whilst I debugged. Anyway, I've done as you've said now and changed it back down to 20gb and re-added all the dockers.

I do have an ubuntu VM, which I literally never use so I can remove that if you think it's part of the problem? (I had a quick look and i'm not sure how to do this, I can obviously disable VMs totally for now though).

gladeux-diagnostics-20200524-0913.zip

As it says, domains is where VMs are saved, and people usually keep that on cache. And domains is all on cache according to your Diagnostics. Up to you whether you want to recover that small amount of space.

Still unclear what is using up all that cache space though. Are you sure you don't have any files at the top level of cache, not inside any folder, perhaps accidentally created?

Go to Shares - User Shares and click the Compute All button. You will probably have to wait a few minutes for the result. If it hasn't displayed the results after several minutes refresh the page. Then post a screenshot.

Also, go to Main - Cache Devices and click on the folder icon at the far right under View. Post a screenshot.

• Thanks 1

Ok, a quick play around, and as I suspected, it's the metadata that Plex is storing, or at least it looks that way:

root@Gladeux:/mnt/cache/appdata/plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Media/localhost# du -h --max-depth=1
4.8G    ./f
4.8G    ./9
5.2G    ./4
4.7G    ./0
4.7G    ./3
4.8G    ./e
4.7G    ./8
4.6G    ./5
4.8G    ./c
4.5G    ./b
4.8G    ./7
4.9G    ./a
5.1G    ./6
5.0G    ./d
5.2G    ./1
5.1G    ./2
77G     .

plex does often take a lot of space in appdata, but that seems excessive. Mine is only taking 11G, but my media collection is perhaps modest by some standards.

Where do you have plex transcoding? By default transcoding goes to a subdirectory in the plex appdata. There are other ways to set that up.

• Thanks 1

OK, I think we've made some progress.

I've just deleted all 'Video Preview Thumbnails' from Plex, given it's not a feature I've never caught myself using and as if by magic:

image.png.6db47f68ae54a5cf1c0729f0b499f1cc.png

Do I still need to check appdata as @jonathanm suggested? And I assume i need to revert some of the cache usage settings now?

Thanks again for both of your help, i've learnt a lot and it's good of you to spend your time assisting me :)

You should move the rest of appdata back to cache now that you have room.

Go to Settings - Docker and disable. This will make sure all docker related files are closed so they can be moved.

Change the appdata share to cache-prefer, run Mover, wait for it to complete.

Post new diagnostics.

• Thanks 1

Looks good. Now you have appdata, domains, and system all on cache, and all other shares on the array. Since your cache is small, I recommend setting all shares except those to cache-no.

Then go to Settings - Docker and enable dockers again.

Later you can decide if it makes sense to use cache for anything else, but keep it limited.

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...