IOMMU grouping???

Hello. 🤗

I have just removed a GT 730 from the small PCI slot on my X10SL7-F motherboard, and replaced it with a GTX 6800 fitted to the full length PCI slot. I then edited the VM template accordingly. My WIN 10 virtual machine will not now run, objecting that the new iommu group is not viable for the graphics card. It also wants me to ensure thAt the device is tied to its vfio driver.

How can I correct this. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you. 😊 

Edited by Jetjockey

Hello.

Yes and no! I am, but I'm now having to do it from a remote device. Unraid has decided to throw a funny turn and is refusing to boot to the Gui on the monitor attached to it. This has happened since introducing the nvidea 6800, and is even the same with the 6800 removed. Dohh!

I now get the message  Nvidea-smi Command Not Found before the screen goes blank and the GUI fails to appear. Also, one CPU core remains pegged at 100%. If I choose Unraid with no GUI at the boot menu then that works fine.

However, that's another problem for another day.  I've managed to find an informative video all about VM's and IOMMU groups and it appears that I need to use either the append command to bind the vfio-pci drivers to the Nvidea 6800 or the ACS override patch to split the IOMMU groups.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks. 🙂

Well..... I've tried evrything I can think of. I've watched the informative video on the subject and have tried binding the Vfio driver, this allows the Win10 VM to start without objection, BUT... I get no video out put from the Nvidea 6800 in PCI-e slot one, and all of my drives are unavailable to Unraid as they are in the same IOMMU group as the Nvide 6800 in slot 1. Ive then tried all of the ACS override settings (only Down stream and Multi function seem to split the groups) and still get no output from the Nvidea 6800 but the drives at least become available. I've repeated this several times, and have even substituted an Nvidea 7300 in place of the 6800 but with exactly the same results.

I would welcome any suggestions as to why the Win10 VM will run when i split the groups but will not supply a video signal. If I alter the Win10 VM template to use a GT730 in the smaller PCIe slot 2 then the Win10 VM runs with no problem and outputs a glorious Windows 10 desktop. There's obviously more to this than just IOMMU grouping. I'm wondering if this is a limitation of the Supoermicro X10SL7-F motherboard?

Many thanks in advance. 🙂

Edited by Jetjockey