How do I upgrade ARECA drivers in unRAID 8.6.3?

Hello,

Has anyone installed the ARECA driver for unRAID 8.6.3? 

You can download the latest driver here: http://www.areca.us/support/s_unRAID/driver/unRAID-6.8.3.zip

ARECA does provide instructions but for me they don't make sense. They refer to zip files that don't exist and want you create a bootable USB for some reason? I would have thought booting into unRAID via USB as normal would be the way to go, to skip the USB bootable key creation part and skip to step 5 in the following instructions. The problem is the ARCMSR driver is in use when I attempt "rmmod arcmsr" via cmdline. 

Can someone please provide some guidance how to do this?

I have an ARECA 1883ix-12 card the temperatures and SMART info has never worked for me, the card in in JBOD mode; my current theory is whatever driver version is in the vanilla version of unRAID 8.6.3 doesn't understand this card; hence my attempt to upgrade to the latest OEM driver.

Update device driver for Raid controllers that were not supported by build-in driver
========================================================================================

1. Extract unRAIDServer-6.8.x-x86_64.zip to an USB flash drive with volume label 'UNRAID'.
    2. Extract arcmsr-1.50.0X.00-20200310-unRAID-6.8.x.zip to UNRAID USB flash drive /.
    3. Right-click on the file °•make_bootable°¶ and select °•Run as administrator°¶.
       The °•syslinux°¶ utility will write the Master Boot Record and create a small hidden
       file named °•ldlinux.sys°¶ on the Flash device, making it bootable.
    4. Boot from unRAID USB flash drive.
    5. After boot up, login as root. type following commands to update device driver.

# rmmod arcmsr
       # insmod /boot/arcmsr.ko.xz

6. To make new arcmsr.ko.xz driver take effect for next boot, type following command to rebuild bzmodules.

# cp /boot/buildbzmod /root
       # chmod +x buildbzmod
       # ./buildbzmod
       # reboot

Edited by Enver
  • 2 years later...