Snology User To Become Unraid User

Ok so i curently have a Snology DS416j with 4 6TB drives only about 70% full .

My main use is just storage of  all my media and torrenting i do not use plex or do any transcoding,  a must have though is a DLNA server.

I have been looking to upgrade for a while and would love to build my own server/nas  but have been scared to take the plunge as i have been used to the ease of plug and play so to speak with my differnt snology nas over the years .

I have done some research and im sure i could upgrade to an 8 bay for half the price a new snology nas would cost and probably have better specs also .

As his is my first build and i am a complete noob please help advise in any way you feel fit .

My aim is to be around  half the price  off a snology 8 bay enclosure (not including the cost of any extra HD's i buy along the way)  to compensate for the difficulty factor and time to build it and set it all up .  But this is not a must as long as it is a lot cheaper .

So this is what i was looking at :

CASE                      :  Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case

CPU                        AMD Athlon 3000G 3.5 GHz Dual-Core Processor

CPU Cooler              Noctua NH-L9i 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler

Motherboard            ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard

PSU                        :   Thermaltake Smart 500 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

SSD                        Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (MZ-V7S500)

Memory                   G.Skill NT Series 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

I created the list using pcpartpicker to make sure they where all compatible but dont really know  they are best for my needs .

I have also taken into account migration which i was hopeing to use a 14TB external drive then afterwards shuck it then use it in the array.

Please be gentle with me as i said before i am a complete noob who justs want to learn and improve with some kind help :)

So this is what i have decided to go with :

CASE                      :  Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case

CPU                        :  AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler              :  Noctua NH-L9i 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler

Motherboard            :  ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard

PSU                        :   Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

SSD                        :  Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

Memory                   :  Kingston HyperX Fury 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL18 Memory

Total cost around £500

Which is way cheaper then any new 8 bay Nas and far better specs .

It should work fine.  I am using a R3 2200G with 16gigs and a B450 for my media server and it has been fine.  One thing to note is the number of sata ports, 4 isn't very many.  I added a SAS 9207-8i to add more drives.  My processor is slower than yours and I have had zero issues with Plex or music. 

• Like 1

I built mine with stuff from previous pc builds that got upgraded.  I was originally going to use an old A10 processor but remembered the 2200G.  The only thing I bought new at the start was the SAS and supporting cables and I just added an icydock for keeping the drives cooler.  One of the draws to unraid for me was the ability to use less than stellar parts and still perform the function as intended.  By using the AM4 socket I will be able to upgrade the unraid processor when I upgrade my daily driver R5-2600.