How to troubleshoot GPU passthrough

Hello,

I have a Rampage IV Extreme with a 3830K that has been running for several years under ESXi 5 (5.0 or 5.5) running three VMs with GPU/USB passthrough. It was not perfect because RESET function was not working on some passthrough devices and from time to time it was necessary to reboot the server. My USB dies 😔 and I decide to give a try with Unraid.

I already have a ryzen 2700X / Asus Prime X470-Pro hosting a VM Windows 7 with GPU/USB passthrough (AMD HD6870). It has been very easy to setup.

So I start playing with VFIO stuff adding devices in syslinux configuration (append pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction pci-stub.ids=8086:108a vfio-pci.ids=8086:108a) to split IOMMU group and make available some devices to my VMs. I take some time identifying all my USB ports.

At that point I was able to passthrough USB ports to my VMs. Unfortunately I have not been able to do the same with GPU.

I read on another site it was necessary to dump the VBios (but at anyplace I found why). I did it, add the dumped bios to the VM configuration but nothing change.

Windows seems to start normally, I can see the login screen on my monitor. But USB devices (mouse and keyboard) are not responsive, I noticed on my 2700X that keyboard and mouse are available later, maybe 15 or 20s. In this case they seems to be stuck forever even if I can see the led are on so I kn. As I setup RDP in the VM I am able to shut it down properly. 

I have no more idea on what to do now. Any suggestion is welcome. Unraid version is 6.8.3 with a Basic license.

Thanks in advance

I read in a post that a way to install the video driver was to add the physical GPU as a second card (I keep VNC as first card) then I have been able to install the AMD drivers and now my video card works perfectly. But issue remains with USB controller. It's dead, I can use the VNC emulated keyboard / mouse to use the VM but physical USB ports refuse to work.