Is using IPMI port compatible with UnRaid OS?

Fellow Forum Members,
My SuperMicro motherboard has an IPMI LAN port and it also has two additional plain LAN ports. When I connect a CAT6 cable from the IPMI port to my NetGear Router I am able to operate my SuperMicro motherboard BIOS remotely from a different computer that is also connected to the same NetGear router. However, trying to operate my UnRaid OS while connected to my IPMI LAN port does not seem to work.

Am I correct or incorrect to think both my UnRaid OS and my SuperMicro IPMI software can both work from a single IPMI LAN connection on a remote computer? Or does it require I have an IPMI LAN connection as well as a separate LAN connection setup on my SuperMicro motherboard so I can successfully operate both the UnRaid OS and IPMI software from a remote computer?

Any opinions welcome.

Depends on the specific motherboard. Some models share ports, others are completely separate. From your description I'm guessing your model doesn't share duties, so you will need 2 connections.

I have X10SL7-F in one of my servers, I use the 2 LAN ports in a PfSense VM, a 10GB card for Unraid, and the IPMI port is also connected. So I have 3 copper and 1 fiber connection on that specific machine.

56 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Depends on the specific motherboard. Some models share ports, others are completely separate. From your description I'm guessing your model doesn't share duties, so you will need 2 connections.

I have X10SL7-F in one of my servers, I use the 2 LAN ports in a PfSense VM, a 10GB card for Unraid, and the IPMI port is also connected. So I have 3 copper and 1 fiber connection on that specific machine.

Thank you for your post. I am using a Supermicro X10SRH-CF. It has two LAN ports and one IPMI port.  From what I gather I need to have two separate CAT6 cables connected to this motherboard.  It would have been cool if it only required a single CAT6 connection instead. Additionally, I updated the BIOS from 1.0b to 3.2 and the Firmware to the latest 3.82.  So doing that did not give the IPMI LAN port the ability to support the IPMI software and the UnRAID OS simultaneously as I was hoping. 

Edited by binar

Actually most SM boards support sharing ipmi over lan. So it's opposite of what your thinking. Run the cat6 to one of the normal lan ports and enter your ipmi ip into your browser to test it. I'm fairly sure there's a feature enable for this in your bios. I have a couple SM servers and this is how I operate them.