Nested VM's - Using VMware in Windows VM

Hi,

I am wanting use a vmware vm inside a windows vm. I have followed the spaceinvaders video however I keep getting an error when trying to start the VM.

"VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (vcpu-0)

vcpu-0:VMM fault 13: src=MONITOR rip=0xfffffffffc01a792 regs=0xfffffffffc407e50"

I want to nest VM's like this because I have licensed software I use for work on the VM's and i find the unity feature very useful. 

An alternative way of using the VM's with an alternative for vmware unity would also be okay.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Con1924
  • 7 months later...

Hello, I have the same issue and didn't find any help on the matter. 

Does someone have an idea?

[Edit] It seems to be an issue for all types of nested virtualization on windows. I tried to install Hyper-V feature on these OS:

• Windows 10 Pro
  • Windows Server 2016
  • Windows Server 2019 Datacenter Edition

Fully updated, including drivers.

But always same BSOD when restarting the VM to finish installing Hyper-V: "hypervisor error"... 

However, an ESXI will allow running multiple VMs simultaneously! But these VMs doesn't work properly though, I cannot run Windows update (always an error after a few minutes) neither installing applications (nothing append after allowing system modification). But at least VMs are running!

If it can help, I run my Unraid (v6.8.3) on a 1950x AMD CPU / Gigabyte x399 Aorus pro  

Edited by PureAmnesie
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Im new into this, and cant wait to setup my own Unraid-System.

However, as far as i do understand Unraid it trys to Bare-Metal as much is possible to its VM.

I would try to bypass as much possible to VMware and enable Intel or AMD VT-x on the CPU if not already done.

You shuld also try to bypass a hardware drive to VMware to have its own "bare" installation on a datadrive, while the virtual drives might be able to run on your Storage cluster/Caches.

As for Windows there might be a difference if you install it on UEFI emulation or CSM/MBR/classic. Checkout different VBios versions.

On 1/17/2021 at 4:40 PM, PureAmnesie said:

[Edit] It seems to be an issue for all types of nested virtualization on windows. I tried to install Hyper-V feature on these OS:

• Windows 10 Pro
  • Windows Server 2016
  • Windows Server 2019 Datacenter Edition

At this point you are already Level 2.5/3 depending on the point of view. and you still want to add an additonal layer.

If we pretend that KVM Emulation ist close to Baremetal but its still a Virtualization HOST.

https://www.pcsteps.com/508-nested-virtualization/

A Third Layer is already very demanding.

KVM->VMWARE = 1 Layer

VMWare->Windows OS = 2 Layer

Windows OS => Hyper-V 3 Layer.

On 1/27/2021 at 7:37 PM, Fragsrus said:

I have also been searching for a solution to this error.  I have two VMs that I am trying to run for school and would much rather work on my main system than splitting work between the main system and my laptop.

You can have all others installed on unraid and switch to them by VNC /RDP through your machine. You dont need to hyper-V them.

Run the Windows 10 Host Machine and connect to other machines by RDP/VMC/SSH depending on demand.

You are allowed to have multiple RDP sessions with your Host Machine. You can give them one "shared" space which all are connected to if you need to transfer files between.

->other Windows OS

Windows 10 RDP/VNC -> Server 2016

-> Linux VM

But they all run on the Virtualization of unraid.

I Hope this should fix your Issues.