Is UnRaid Compatible with M.2 To PCIe Adapters?

binar

Fellow Forum Members,
Is the latest OS version of UnRaid compatible with "M.2 To PCIe Adapters" like the ones shown in the links below:

https://www.sybausa.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64_205&product_id=1035

https://www.newegg.com/asus-model-hyper-m-2-x16-card-v2-pci-express-to-4-x-m-2/p/N82E16815293043?Item=N82E16815293043&Description=m2 pcie ssd adapter&cm_re=m2_pcie_ssd_adapter-_-15-293-043-_-Product&quicklink=true

My idea is to use these  "M.2 To PCIe Adapters" as Cache Disks for my UnRaid server. The actual Cache Disks will be a set of 4 NVME cards setup as RAID.  My motherboard is a Supermicro X10SRH-CF so I do not think there will be a problem with the motherboard being compatible with this device. My only uncertainty is if the UnRaid OS is going to be compatible with this hardware.  Any opinions welcome.

Unraid does work with m.2 to pci-e adapters as used one for a time with an intel nvme drive.

Whether it works with that particular card I don't know, it depends if any drivers are necessary for it to see the drives correctly.

If it's driver-less it'll probably work just fine.

4 minutes ago, binar said:

This one should work in any board but it's for SATA m.2 devices, not NVMe

5 minutes ago, binar said:

This one is for NVMe and it should work in a x16 slot that supports PCIe bifurcation, check board manual.

Thank you to all for your posts.  My goal is to use some kind of PCI based storage for my Cache Disks because I want to avoid utilizing the few remaining SATA ports I have left on the motherboard and use them for a later time in the future for actual data storage drives. 

So allow me to ask the question in a different way. Is a preferable Cache Disk setup to just buy a PCI 4SATA Port RAID controller card  and add four 1TB SSD drives all in RAID setup?  Is this a preferable Cache Disk setup compared to buying an "M.2 To PCIe Adapter" installed with 4 NVME cards? Are the data throughput speeds the same for both options or does 4NVME option provide a lot more data throughput?  And does the UnRaid OS prefer one option over the other?  And am I correct to think bifurcation support is not an issue with option involving the use of a  PCI 4SATA Port RAID controller card?  Bottom line, I just want to know what is the best Cache Disk setup to employ if the goal is to use a 16x PCI slot and not SATA ports on the motherboard? Any opinions welcome.