(SOLVED) New Build Question -- Ryzen 5 3600, Asrock Rack X470D4U plus Which Cooler?

Changing direction. I’ve simplified this post but decided to replace the original i5-9500 for the Ryzen 5 3600. Then I was struggling with X470 vs x570 and ended up jumping up to the Asrock Rack X470D4U.  Decided I’ll go ECC as well as somebody suggested I should “buy nice or buy twice.”

** forgot to add: repurposing NZXT H440 case. Desktop case so apparently cooler clearance is 180mm

OLD BUILD:

Board: Gigabyte Z170N-WiFi mATX board (originally ran an mATX case with a dual-core processor before upgrading to the i5 below) 

CPU: i5-6500 (not overclocked)

RAM: Kingston 2x8GB DDR4-2133

Cooler: Notcua NH-9Li (had this from a smaller system build I'd previously done)

NEW BUILD:

Board: Asrock Rack X470D4U

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

RAM: 2x Kingston 16GB (KSM26ED8/16ME)

Cooler: Use stock (which blocks memory slot 4) or... 

Looking for any advice out there.

Edited by AdrianF
Changed from i5-9500 to Ryzen 5 3600 and board to Asrock Rack X470D4U

Pls understand there are several speed profile in SPD, and MB also have many profile too, all can manual override. So, this not a problem for DIYer.

During POST memory training, if target setting speed ( i.e. XMP ) can't success then it will use stock speed. For those memory higher then 2666, stock speed usually 2133 ( only XMP will be high speed ). So, there are many case people runing those high speed memory in 2133, because they haven't check or know how to tune.

https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK16GX4M2B3200C16#tab-tech-specs

Personally, I like 2400 or 2666 ( because I don't like stock speed 2133 & in high speed need 1.35v generate heat ),  if all are 2400 / 2666 then it also a bit easy to manage.

On 5/26/2020 at 12:43 AM, AdrianF said:

I'm inheriting age and the risk of similar headaches sooner than later.

Base on this, I will simple suggest go to 2666 for 2 sticks and 2400 for 4 sticks.

I have Asus PRIME X370-PRO, Ryzen 1700, Ryzen 2400G, Z390, 9700K, all those not family with high speed memory, only TR 1920x platform totally different.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Benson said:

Pls understand there are several speed profile in SPD, and MB also have many profile too, all can manual override. So, this not a problem for DIYer.

During POST memory training, if target setting speed ( i.e. XMP ) can't success then it will use stock speed. For those memory higher then 2666, stock speed usually 2133 ( only XMP will be high speed ). So, there are many case people runing those high speed memory in 2133, because they haven't check or know how to tune.

https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK16GX4M2B3200C16#tab-tech-specs

Personally, I like 2400 or 2666 ( because I don't like stock speed 2133 & in high speed need 1.35v generate heat ),  if all are 2400 / 2666 then it also a bit easy to manage.

Base on this, I will simple suggest go to 2666 for 2 sticks and 2400 for 4 sticks.

I have Asus PRIME X370-PRO, Ryzen 1700, Ryzen 2400G, Z390, 9700K, all those not family with high speed memory, only TR 1920x platform totally different.

Thanks @Benson. I fully realize "3200" speeds are overclocked to achieve the speed -- I'm particularly interested in whether or not Unraid is a fan of overclocking (because I've seen some people post at 3200 and others at 2400/2666).   Knowing that you have the X370-Pro, are you happy with it?  If you were buying a board right now, even though this is older, would you still buy the X370 today?

5 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

See below for officially supported RAM speeds with Ryzen depending on CPU and config:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/?do=findComment&comment=819173

Thanks @johnnie.black -- once again.  From what I'm reading OC 3200 is safe on the 3rd Gen Ryzen CPUs although I'm sure running it slower wouldn't hurt anything if I chose to.

59 minutes ago, AdrianF said:

Knowing that you have the X370-Pro, are you happy with it?

I like it, quite excite at 1st got 8C16T CPU, ASUS BIOS also the best, it stable and almost no trouble, but memory timing usually low. It run Unraid and serve me ~3yrs and I change to 9700K now.

59 minutes ago, AdrianF said:

would you still buy the X370 today?

Should be avoid, one main point is you don't know what BIOS ver. it come, if too low, then you can't boot up R5-3600 even 2400G, on other hand, its price seems not drop so much. Only price factor will make me choice it.

Edited by Benson
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Benson said:

I like it, quite excite at 1st got 8C16T CPU, ASUS BIOS also the best, it table and almost no trouble, but memory timing usually low. It run Unraid and serve me ~3yrs and I change to 9700K now.

Should be avoid, one main point is you don't know what BIOS ver. it come, if too low, then you can't boot up R5-3600 even 2400G, on other hand, its price seems not drop so much. Only price factor will make me choice it.

The latter part is where I'm getting stuck; I feel as though there's a good chance that it doesn't have a current BIOS and I'll be stuck (because I can't use my 2400G, either).  Do you have any suggestions on a decently priced board that supports the R5-3600?  My main criteria are minimum 6 SATA ports (prefer 8 but know those are harder to find) and has Intel LAN (not Realtek).

Thanks!

14 minutes ago, Benson said:

Yes quite hard to found have 8 SATA, PRIME X470-PRO with 6 SATA only, or Asus ROG-Strix-X570-E-Gaming ( 8 SATA )

Thanks... only other board I can find is the Asrock X570 Pro4 which seems decent (if I can find one).

8 minutes ago, AdrianF said:

Thanks... only other board I can find is the Asrock X570 Pro4 which seems decent (if I can find one).

It have two 16x slot ( electrical 16+4 ). If PCIe slot ( expansion ) not really need, then fine.

Edited by Benson

Bump. Changed board to ASRock X470D4U and memory to 2x Kingston KSM26ED8/16ME. 

Now, to use the use the stock Ryzen 5 3600 cooler which is known to block memory slot four on the board or to get an aftermarket cooler but which one?  

Board and RAM are going to be showing up in the next week and a half or so, so I want to have the rest of what I need to get going when it arrives. Thanks all!

• AdrianF changed the title to (SOLVED) New Build Question -- Ryzen 5 3600, Asrock Rack X470D4U plus Which Cooler?
  • 1 year later...