[Support] ich777 - AMD Vendor Reset, CoralTPU, hpsahba,...

1 minute ago, Hanzzen said:

Anyone got the vendor reset plugin working with RC4 yet? It stopped working on RC3 for me. Upgraded to RC4 today and still facing the same issue. I get the same "Unknown PCI Header Type '127' for device" error as @dhstsw if I try to start up a VM after powering it of. Doing a reboot just makes it stuck on the Tiano Core splash screen.

Diagnostics? Logs from the VM?

Hi @ich777, All,

I had been looking for the AMD-reset-plugin for a quite a while ... I was baffled by the ongoing discussion here while I was never able to actually find the plugin in the community applications. I appreciate though I have never read all 47 pages of discussion. I was even more dumbfounded when I could find the plugin via google on unraids webpage. Then it finally dawned on me that Community applications by default hides apps and plugins deemed incompatible.... oh boy... 

So there I am , running the latest stable version 6.9.2 while the AMD-reset-plugin stormed ahead to support 6.10beta17 🙂

My question naturally : Is it reasonably safe to install this latest version on 6.9.2 or is it just not compatible ? If so, can I install a previous version from a different source, e.g. using the unraid plugin installer page supplying a link to the appropriate github repository ? I would greatly appreciate a pointer in the right direction.

Many thanks in advance, 

Philipp

Edited by pho
24 minutes ago, pho said:

Is it reasonably safe to install this latest version on 6.9.2 or is it just not compatible ?

No, that is not possible, even if you manage to install it on 6.9.2 the download would basically fail because there are modules in Untaid itself missing and there is no version available for 6.9.2

Why not upgrade to RC4? For me RC versions are really stable and never had a real issue with it.

You can always downgrade if you are jot happy with it.

30 minutes ago, ich777 said:

No, that is not possible, even if you manage to install it on 6.9.2 the download would basically fail because there are modules in Untaid itself missing and there is no version available for 6.9.2

Why not upgrade to RC4? For me RC versions are really stable and never had a real issue with it.

You can always downgrade if you are jot happy with it.

Hi, wow, such a speedy reply - ok, that sounds reasonable - I have been using Unraid for just 2 months 🙂  - been quite interesting so far and a good learning curve, but never upgraded before - will have a look at the process - good to know that downgrading would also be an option (if needed) !

Many thanks / vielen Dank !

• Like 1
10 hours ago, pho said:

Hi, wow, such a speedy reply - ok, that sounds reasonable - I have been using Unraid for just 2 months 🙂  - been quite interesting so far and a good learning curve, but never upgraded before - will have a look at the process - good to know that downgrading would also be an option (if needed) !

If RC4 doesn't do it for you, go with RC2 (plugin should work no probs with it).

• Like 2
On 3/23/2022 at 2:10 AM, pho said:

Just so you're aware, I did about the same thing last week - 6.9.2 -> 6.10rc3 in order to get the AMD reset plugin to work & it did just fine.  I have another issue passing through that card that will require more testing on different hardware, but windows 10 & 11 rebooted just fine with the AMD reset plugin installed.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, snidera said:

Just so you're aware, I did about the same thing last week - 6.9.2 -> 6.10rc3 in order to get the AMD reset plugin to work & it did just fine.  I have another issue passing through that card that will require more testing on different hardware, but windows 10 & 11 rebooted just fine with the AMD reset plugin installed.

Hi, thank you, that's encouraging -  I am aiming to use the AMD card primarily for Mac OS - any experience with this ? I have setups with Catalina 10.15.4 and 10.15.7 with a Radeon Pro W5500 which do overall work ok (except for the reset issue obviously and lack of hardware acceleration in 10.15.7) - if of interest I put together a little write-up here : 

I guess I will just dive in with the upgrade this weekend and see how it goes... thx for all the replies, much appreciated !

20 hours ago, ich777 said:

I'm really not sure if this card is supported: Click

Hi, yes, good point - I checked this before and was ... well ... hoping that the "Supported cards" listed refers to cards which are "tried and tested" and that there is a chance that other cards will be supported, too. I also dug into the source/device-db.h - the Radeon Pro W5500 has the identifier of 0x7341 and is part of this list - however maybe this also does not mean the card is supported after all. What do you think  - still worth trying ? 

https://github.com/gnif/vendor-reset/blob/master/src/device-db.h

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ruihere said:

HI @ich777 I am using 6.10 rc4, but when I tried the plugin, it said GVT-g not enabled in kernel module i915. 

I read from the release note that  this file no longer needed in unraid? 

From what I see you are using this CPU:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8259U CPU @ 2.30GHz

I've had a few reports from users with "U" CPUs about same issue that GVT-g wasn't working.

I think it's because these kind of CPUs didn't support GVT-g but I really can't tell for sure, but that is my best clue.

There is not much information out there about GVT-g in combination with these CPUs

2 hours ago, ich777 said:

From what I see you are using this CPU:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8259U CPU @ 2.30GHz

I've had a few reports from users with "U" CPUs about same issue that GVT-g wasn't working.

I think it's because these kind of CPUs didn't support GVT-g but I really can't tell for sure, but that is my best clue.

There is not much information out there about GVT-g in combination with these CPUs

gotcha. thanks :)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi i have a new board for testing. It has a intel celeron n3450 with Intel Corporation HD Graphics 500 (rev 0b)

I did install the intel Intel GPU TOP and GPU Statistics and loaded the Jellyfin INTEL Docker.

But the transcoding is not working (only on the cpu). 

Could anybody help me please to get the transcoding running?

Screenshot-2022-04-25-153554.png

Screenshot-2022-04-25-153729.png

Also the gpu is shown with 0 MHZ

Screenshot-2022-04-25-160035.png

Edited by Secarius
1 hour ago, Secarius said:

Could anybody help me please to get the transcoding running?

This seems more like a Jellyfin issue since your iGPU is definitely working.

Is this my Jellyfin container that you are trying to get it to work?

Are you on Unraid 6.9.2 or 6.10.0 RC Series?

Have you passed through the Device (not Path) /dev/dri to the container?

What is set in the Jellyfin Server settings at Playback?

What file do you try to transcode (h264 or h265)?

3 hours ago, ich777 said:

Hi ich777,

i am using Unraid 6.9.2

Have you passed through the Device (not Path) /dev/dri to the container?

jellyfin.thumb.png.c31bc10d9129eeb1fa01b34450a3eef1.png

What is set in the Jellyfin Server settings at Playback?

image.thumb.png.f87a4fab6b127339ce753c8174fce9a6.pngimage.png.6e1d9ef6f0be74578d30f9885c5e0fa4.png

What file do you try to transcode (h264 or h265)?

image.png.1634d6f647d5cfbfc0f90f78cc896669.png

I hope i did every thing right :)

Thx for your quick response

This is while Playback:

image.png.d95edd3072de6e9df82a5cfc4c3388be.png

Edited by Secarius
1 hour ago, Secarius said:

Thx for your quick response

Please try to use VA-API instead and leave everything at default, I would strongly recommend to post in the appropriate support thread from the container since this has something to do with the container and not this plugin because the iGPU is activated and properly recognized.

1 minute ago, Secarius said:

but can you explain me, why the stats of the gpu does not show any thing?

Because the container doesn‘t use the iGPU for transcoding.

Please try to change from QuickSync to VAAPI and leave everything at default in the Playback settings from Jellyfin.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Dazog said:

Ha NVidia FINALLY fixed the Mellanox 4 LX flashing bug from November in this update.

Thanx again @ich777

Was a little late updating the plugin, my server already compiled the new version yesterday but I only got time to update the plugin today…

I‘m really glad to hear that everything is working now for you! 😊

51 minutes ago, keith8496 said:

Is there any chance that the vendor-reset module could brick the BMC (baseboard management controller) on a server motherboard? I've RMAed three motherboards in a row back to Newegg. The BMC on all three died within a week.

In general I don't think that's possible because a BMC is generally speaking it's own dedicated System and only interfaces with the rest of the System.

This patch basically hooks into the PCI device reset function for the specific these AMD devices and watch if it is necessary to reset the them (for example when a VM is shutdown), this is a very oversimplified explanation.

I can't imagine that this will cause any issues with you BMC since it watches only for these AMD devices which are supported by the vendor reset (Graphics devices - Polaris 10, Polaris 11, Polaris 12, Vega 10, Vega 20, Navi 10, Navi 12, Navi 14) and perform a simple device reset if needed (like if you reboot a computer so that the card initializes again).

However I would recommend that you create an issue on GitHub if you think that the vendor reset is causing this issue but as said above I really can't think of how it would manage to do that and I know a few people out there with Supermicro Boards that has also BMC chips on them and have zero issues in combination with the vendor reset.

Here is the Issue tracker from the vendor reset: Click

51 minutes ago, keith8496 said:

I'm not looking to point any fingers here. I like to experiment and accept the risks I signed up for. I just need help figuring out what's going on.

All good... :)

What kind of devices have you connected to the BMC?

LAN, VGA, COM? Maybe also check the other HW/Cables connected to the BMC if the fault is maybe located there.

Have you also contacted Supermicro for Firmware updates or if this is a commen issue like suggested on Reddit from another user?