[Support] ich777 - AMD Vendor Reset, CoralTPU, hpsahba,...

19 hours ago, giganode said:

The vendor-reset got an update for navi users. I tested it on my system.

I have no broken audio anymore after resets. For me this is a real breakthrough!

I don't need the old navi patch anymore now.

I can now boot between Windows 10 20H2, macOS Big Sur 11.1 and Ubuntu 20.10.

For all navi user who wanna try it out:

1. Force update the docker
  2. Edit the docker and add a variable like this:image.thumb.png.39429a29f1c092625e8a643ca9823ebd.png
  3. Try and hopefully enjoy!

Keep in mind, this only fixes the specific audio issue for navi users.

Please report your expierences here. :) 

Special Thanks to @ich777 for that fast edit.

I also can confirm, that the latest vendor-reset for the audio fixed the problem with my Powercolor 5700 XT. It never reseted properly after an OS shutdown, or VM stop via UNRAID. NOW EVERYTHING WORKS LIKE A CHARM as it is supposed to be. Finally I will be a happy 5700 XT user. So kudos to @ajmadsen @gnif from github and also to @ICH777 for making it easy to bring all stuff to the UNRAID stick with use of the kernel helper docker!

Edited by derpuma
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, ich777 said:

Have you something appended to your syslinux.cfg?

Eventually @giganode can help you out.

What you can try in the meantime is delete the container entirely and the output folder that lives in the kernel directory in your appdata folder and redownload the Unraid-Kernel-Helper from the CA App the new Variable that @giganode mentioned should be already in there.

Then select to build it with the gnif/vendor-reset patch and also click on 'Show more settings...' and at gnif/vendor-reset Branch enter 'feature/audio_reset' and also set to option Save to Log to 'true'.

If that all doesn't work please post the Log file that it creates in the Kernel directory.

8 hours ago, giganode said:

I can share my settings, but I feel like something went wrong with the build.. But I don't know for a fact :) 

kernel /bzimage
append video=vesafb:off,efifb:off vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1 isolcpus=4-15,20-31 pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction initrd=/bzroot

Here is my syslinux.cfg I've only marked some cores for isolation.

kernel /bzimage
append isolcpus=3-7,11-15 initrd=/bzroot

I agree it is likely the build, I'll be rebuilding it later today and post the log. Thanks for the input.

15 hours ago, ich777 said:

Have you something appended to your syslinux.cfg?

Eventually @giganode can help you out.

What you can try in the meantime is delete the container entirely and the output folder that lives in the kernel directory in your appdata folder and redownload the Unraid-Kernel-Helper from the CA App the new Variable that @giganode mentioned should be already in there.

Then select to build it with the gnif/vendor-reset patch and also click on 'Show more settings...' and at gnif/vendor-reset Branch enter 'feature/audio_reset' and also set to option Save to Log to 'true'.

If that all doesn't work please post the Log file that it creates in the Kernel directory.

13 hours ago, giganode said:

I can share my settings, but I feel like something went wrong with the build.. But I don't know for a fact :) 

kernel /bzimage
append video=vesafb:off,efifb:off vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1 isolcpus=4-15,20-31 pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction initrd=/bzroot

So I rebuilt the image and tried it again, same problem as before. This time I tried to ssh into the server and was able to grab the syslog, the diagnostics command never completed. I've also attached the log from the build.

syslog.txt 2021-01-14_09.16.44.log

12 minutes ago, ndetar said:

So I rebuilt the image and tried it again, same problem as before. This time I tried to ssh into the server and was able to grab the syslog, the diagnostics command never completed. I've also attached the log from the build.

Have you built the Images with Nvidia or do you use the Nvidia-Driver Plugin (but I think the filesize tells me that you built it without the Nvidia drivers)?

Please try to uninstall the Nvidia-Driver Plugin for troubleshooting reasons and then try to boot with the custom images.

Have you also installed any other modifications like a custom Kernel (bzimage) or something?

3 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Have you built the Images with Nvidia or do you use the Nvidia-Driver Plugin (but I think the filesize tells me that you built it without the Nvidia drivers)?

Please try to uninstall the Nvidia-Driver Plugin for troubleshooting reasons and then try to boot with the custom images.

Have you also installed any other modifications like a custom Kernel (bzimage) or something?

I use the Nvidia driver plugin and no other modifications. I'll try it again without the Nvidia driver plugin.

• Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, ich777 said:

So I just booted up without the Nvidia Driver Plugin and it started up with no issues.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, ich777 said:

13 minutes ago, ndetar said:

So I just booted up without the Nvidia Driver Plugin and it started up with no issues.

I also just tested shutting down and starting up a VM and the gnif/vender-reset seems to be working correctly! The only thing left would be to figure out the Nvidia drivers issue. I have a second Nvidia GPU I use for transcoding. Should I try building the kernel with the Nvidia drivers built in rather than the plugin?

• Like 1
8 hours ago, ndetar said:

I also just tested shutting down and starting up a VM and the gnif/vender-reset seems to be working correctly! The only thing left would be to figure out the Nvidia drivers issue. I have a second Nvidia GPU I use for transcoding. Should I try building the kernel with the Nvidia drivers built in rather than the plugin?

I am running a custom build with nvidia support and the vendor-reset.

Please do a new build with the kernel-helper but integrate nvidia support into it. Remove the nvidia plugin if you readded it.

Edited by giganode
  • Like 2

A week ago started over with 6.8.3 after trying 6.9 RC2.

The pre-built builds listed at the beginning of post still work for 6.8.3?

Would there be a difference if I followed the build instructions?

Edit: Cannot find the Docker on CA "EDIT: Please always delete the container and the template when you finished building the kernel and redownload it from the CA app so that the template is always on the newest version."

Edit2:  I took the Docker template from your Github.  On the to select beta or rc or stable it said to leave blank but when it was done, the zip file said unRAIDServer-6.9.0-x86_64.zip.  Can I delete everything and just enter 6.8.3 where it asks for beta or rc?

Edited by Paul_Ber
9 hours ago, giganode said:

I am running a custom build with nvidia support and the vendor-reset.

Please do a new build with the kernel-helper but integrate nvidia support into it. Remove the nvidia plugin if you readded it.

12 hours ago, ich777 said:

You can try it but please keep in mind that this could lead to the same problem. Please report back.

Both the Nvidia drivers and the vender-reset are working; there were no issues booting up. Thank you so much for your help and hard work, I really appreciate it! If you need someone to test future changes or updates don't hesitate to reach out.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, ndetar said:

Both the Nvidia drivers and the vender-reset are working; there were no issues booting up. Thank you so much for your help and hard work, I really appreciate it! If you need someone to test future changes or updates don't hesitate to reach out.

That is awesome! You are the 3rd to report a working navi card in this thread!

Yesterday, @derpuma reported that he could even force stop a vm and boot afterwards :D 

As we should not hesitate.... can you try that, too?! :D :D :D Just kidding.... ;) 

Have fun with it!!! 

Edited by giganode
  • Like 2
55 minutes ago, Paul_Ber said:

The prebuilt images at the bottom just work fine, I've updated them recently.

55 minutes ago, Paul_Ber said:

Would there be a difference if I followed the build instructions?

The build for 6.8.3 is not possible or at least will fail, I had to remove this version because of some strange requests here in this thread on page 22 and blaming me for some things... :P

58 minutes ago, Paul_Ber said:

Edit: Cannot find the Docker on CA

Yes becaus it's now only for 6.9.0rc2 and up

58 minutes ago, Paul_Ber said:

Edit2:  I took the Docker template from your Github.  On the to select beta or rc or stable it said to leave blank but when it was done, the zip file said unRAIDServer-6.9.0-x86_64.zip.  Can I delete everything and just enter 6.8.3 where it asks for beta or rc?

The build will fail because it's not compatible...

46 minutes ago, ndetar said:

Both the Nvidia drivers and the vender-reset are working;

Glad to hear that everything is working now.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, ich777 said:
1 hour ago, Paul_Ber said:

The prebuilt images at the bottom just work fine, I've updated them recently.

Thanks will try the pre-built 6.8.3 tonight.   For Plex Transcoding. 

1 hour ago, ich777 said:

Do you need anything special built in?

Why doesn't you stay on RC2?

Was having issues that later turned out to be a failing SSD cache drive in a cache pool.  The SSDs had 4yr 8months on them(Crucial MX200 x 2 500G). 

Replaced with 2 x 1TB WD RED SSDs.

This failing SSD even when put back in as an Unassigned Device SSD, Unraid would report errors and sometimes Unassigned Device would lose the device, making all Unassigned Devices SSDs disappear(on same MB controller,  spinning drives on 9211-8i).  Which temporarily caused the new Cache pool SSDs to get lost too.  So fully removed the almost 5yr old 2 x SSDs fully.  And haven't had an issue since.  On the new cache pool SSDs had to delete the files that btrfs scrub said uncorrectable errors(only a TV show and on Docker).

So while I got everything working fully will stay at 6.8.3 for now.

When I lost the 5yr old SSDs I lost all my Dockers.  Yes I started using thr CA Backup plugin.  And had to rewrite my DelugeVPN-flexget Docker to get it caught up with Binhex-DelugeVPN.

• Thanks 1

I've just built 6.9 RC2 with zfs support.  However I don't seem to be able to do GPU passthrough with my NVIDIA 1070TI (EVGA).  It seems to either complain with the error you get if you have an AMD card, or it boots to a black screen.  This was working in 6.9RC2 with the zfs plugin, but not now with this compiled version.

I'm not 100% it's the compiled version either.  Every now and then I get issues, which I'm suspicious are resolved by moving the card out of slot 1.  Going to try that now anyway. 

EDIT: Moved my card out of the primary slot and it seems to be working now.  What isn't working on ZFS 2.0.1 is rebooting.  I'll see how it goes, but suspect I'll roll back to 2.0.0.

Edited by Marshalleq
8 hours ago, Paul_Ber said:

I wonder if I should try 6.9 RC2 again?

My hardware is not brand new.

Yes I think that would be best since 6.9.0rc2 is pretty stable and if the issues that you had where related to a drive failure it should work now.

1 hour ago, Marshalleq said:

Moved my card out of the primary slot and it seems to be working now.  What isn't working on ZFS 2.0.1 is rebooting.

So transcoding is now working with you Nvidia card?

What do you mean exactly with rebooting?

Does the server not shut down?

Can you eventually try to shutdown the array, then issue the command:

zpool export -a

and then try to reboot?

On 1/11/2021 at 5:19 PM, ich777 said:

Was the Intel-GPU-Tools container working or haven't you tried it yet?

EDIT: What iGPU are you using - processor model?

I have used iGPU transcoding on unRaid 6.8.x before.

Just to ensure I wasn't wasting anyones time I rebooted my server with a screen plugged in to ensure VT-D was enabled and it was.

unRaid 6.9RC2 and an Intel 6700K

Let me know what else I can check if needed.

root@DIMRAID:~# intel_gpu_top 
Failed to detect engines! (No such file or directory)
(Kernel 4.16 or newer is required for i915 PMU support.)
root@DIMRAID:~# intel_gpu_frequency 
Test requirement not met in function drm_open_driver, file drmtest.c:463:
Test requirement: !(fd<0)
No known gpu found for chipset flags 0x1 (intel)
Last errno: 2, No such file or directory
SKIP (-1.000s)

I am not sure what the container is meant to do exactly but I installed it just incase it was needed.

8 minutes ago, alturismo said:

if not, this plugin should also enable the hardware acc due the changes from 6.9 beta35 up, see here

Thank you very much for this link, I am not sure it has solved my problem though.

I followed the instructions on the post to enable the i915 driver I believe but its not working I don't think..

root@DIMRAID:/boot/config/modprobe.d# ls -lah
total 8.0K
drwx------  2 root root 4.0K Jan 21 16:49 ./
drwx------ 11 root root 4.0K Jan 21 16:52 ../
-rw-------  1 root root    0 Jan 21 16:49 i915.conf
root@DIMRAID:/boot/config/modprobe.d# intel_gpu_top 
Failed to detect engines! (No such file or directory)
(Kernel 4.16 or newer is required for i915 PMU support.)
root@DIMRAID:/boot/config/modprobe.d# 

1 hour ago, alturismo said:

may take a look at your flash drive if the following exist for intel igpu like described in the changelog

This shouldn't be necessary when you've already installed the Plugin since it loads the driver each time the server is booted or the plugin is installed.

55 minutes ago, Dimtar said:

I followed the instructions on the post to enable the i915 driver I believe but its not working I don't think..

The driver itself and also transcoding should work.

5 hours ago, Dimtar said:

unRaid 6.9RC2 and an Intel 6700K

I'm already aware of that problem and I've opened a issue on their Gitlab.

This happens mostly on K series Processors.

Have you changesd something in the BIOS for the iGPU?

3 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Have you changesd something in the BIOS for the iGPU?

Not that I know of, have had the box for about 6 months and only went into the bios once before today to enable VT-D and it has worked before.

I will leave it for now and check in later, thanks for your help though.

16 minutes ago, Dimtar said:

I will leave it for now and check in later, thanks for your help though.

I will report back if someone answers the issue on their Gitlab site, but I think it wouldn't be soon... :/

17 minutes ago, Dimtar said:

Not that I know of, have had the box for about 6 months and only went into the bios once before today to enable VT-D and it has worked before.

Have you also installed a dedicated graphics card in your system?

• ich777 changed the title to [Support] ich777 - AMD Vendor Reset, CoralTPU, hpsahba,...