[Support] ich777 - AMD Vendor Reset, CoralTPU, hpsahba,...

7 hours ago, glennv said:

Then as a second run i build again , after cleaning the output dir etc and without changing anything in the docker settings, just rerun.

But the second run includes that you are on the preferred Unraid version or am I wrong?

7 hours ago, glennv said:

Or do i have to be on the target release to build the target release with options like zfs etc ?

I strongly recommend always upgrading first and then run the Kernel-Helper with all your features included.

You can at least try to create a variable in the template if you are on a lower Unraid version with the Key: 'UNRAID_V' and as the Value the Unraid version you want to build for, not exactly sure if this will work because I always upgrade first and then build. :)

Hope that helps. :)

On 3/9/2021 at 11:13 AM, ich777 said:

Why don't you use the Nvidia-Driver Plugin from the CA App instead of this container?

This is really strange, do you get a output when you turn on your server (BIOS initialization), when does the display disappear or better speaking when did the flashing cursor show up? Have you connected the Display cable to the onboard graphics or the Nvidia Card, what is set in the BIOS, are you booting with UEFI or Legacy?

Quick Question - I use your kernel helper because previously I can't use the community applications plugins. This is because I need both the Nvidia, AND the DVB Plugins. (TVH Decoding with Nvidia + The drivers for the DVB Cards). When I previously tried the plugins they seemed to overwrite the stuff needed for the other.

Is using the Unraid Kernel Helper still the way to go for this situation? If I need to create a new thread happy to.

52 minutes ago, tknz said:

When I previously tried the plugins they seemed to overwrite the stuff needed for the other.

Can't image that this is the case with my Plugins since I use it on my Development machine like this.

Are you sure we are talking about the DVB-Driver and Nvidia-Driver Plugins that were introduced with Unraid 6.9.0beta35

52 minutes ago, tknz said:

Is using the Unraid Kernel Helper still the way to go for this situation? If I need to create a new thread happy to.

There are two answers to this question:

• No, simply install both Plugins and you should be good to go.
  • Yes, if you like it to have everything included into one build then you can use the Unraid-Kernel-Helper.
3 hours ago, ich777 said:

But the second run includes that you are on the preferred Unraid version or am I wrong?

I strongly recommend always upgrading first and then run the Kernel-Helper with all your features included.

You can at least try to create a variable in the template if you are on a lower Unraid version with the Key: 'UNRAID_V' and as the Value the Unraid version you want to build for, not exactly sure if this will work because I always upgrade first and then build. :)

Hope that helps. :)

Yeah now i understand. Though i could build for the target version and include zfs etc in one go.

The downside is that when i upgrade to target version i loose zfs and all my dockers are there. So i have to disable autostart one by one for over 30 dockers before the upgrade to a vesion without zfs , so i am then able to start the array to access the kernel helper docker afterwards and build for zfs.

They afterwards re-enable autostart again one by one.

But i update not so often so not a big issue. At least i understand why now ;-)

Edited by glennv
1 minute ago, glennv said:

So i have to disable autostart one by one for over 30 dockers

I don't think you have to do that or am I wrong? The Containers will fail to start if I'm not wrong?

What happened after the upgrade after you first built it on the lower version?

4 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I don't think you have to do that or am I wrong? The Containers will fail to start if I'm not wrong?

What happened after the upgrade after you first built it on the lower version?

Some fail others run as they just start creating directories and initialise data under the mountpoint (.mnt/disks/virtuals) of the not mounted zfs volume/datasets if these dont exists. So i have to stop them all and clean up the mess they create.

Now i undrstand i think i know how i am gong to do upgrades in the future.

I will do the builds on my backup unraid server, which runs no docker containers and then just copy the build files to my primary when all works fine. Seems a better approach anyway 

Edited by glennv
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, ich777 said:

There are two answers to this question:

• No, simply install both Plugins and you should be good to go.
  • Yes, if you like it to have everything included into one build then you can use the Unraid-Kernel-Helper.

Thanks for your reply, i've literally just finished using the kernel helper for 6.9.1 stable. 

I think I know where I was going wrong, a long time ago I was using the linuxserver.io unraid Nvidia, and Unraid DVB Plugins. They overwrote each other not your drivers. 

Re-looking just now I see there are two plugins I need in your Repo, Nvidia Driver, and DVB Driver.

Thanks for your efforts! I'll try them next build rather than the Kernel Builder. p.s the Kernel Builder has been amazing.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, tknz said:

I think I know where I was going wrong, a long time ago I was using the linuxserver.io unraid Nvidia, and Unraid DVB Plugins. They overwrote each other not your drivers. 

That's why the Unraid-Kernel-Helper exists, I had the exact same issue. :D

2 hours ago, Italiandevil0505 said:

I can't seem to get the vendor-reset plugin to work. Every time I make a custom kernel and copy it over my server will start throwing errors during boot. Restoring stock unraid works fine. The only thing I have set as true on the template is the vendor-rest. Anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong? 

What did you copy over exactly? For what version are you building the vendor-reset patch and on which version are you now?

@giganode to the rescue... :D

• Haha 1
46 minutes ago, ich777 said:

What did you copy over exactly? For what version are you building the vendor-reset patch and on which version are you now?

@giganode to the rescue... :D

First off, thank you so much for the help. Where can I send you a donation for you work?

Here is all the info:

I am on Unraid 6.9.1. I downloaded the kernel helper app and changed vendor-reset to true, switched everything else to false. I copied everything in the output folder over to the usb drive. I reset and then it boots up but I can't ever get to the webui. SSH still works and I can use a keyboard to issue commands on the server.

5 minutes ago, Italiandevil0505 said:

I copied everything in the output folder over to the usb drive. I reset and then it boots up but I can't ever get to the webui. SSH still works and I can use a keyboard to issue commands on the server.

What kind of hardware (graphics card) do you have?

I'm not really the AMD guy but @giganode at least I think can help...

Have you something custom in your syslinux configuration or better speaking added a parameter?

Hey,

Not sure if I'm the only one, but using an Intel 10th Gen (i9-10900) and running `intel_gpu_top` results in an error:

root@Tower:~# intel_gpu_top
Failed to detect engines! (No such file or directory)
(Kernel 4.16 or newer is required for i915 PMU support.)

Running 6.9.1. The iGPU works as Plex can HW transcode (so can ffmpeg) and the intel_gpu_top command runs fine if I reboot my system with the Ubuntu SSD plugged in (ruling out a bios issue).

Any ideas? It's definitely unraid related, but who knows with what.

Edited by Stokkes
8 hours ago, Italiandevil0505 said:

It's a Sapphire Nitro 5700xt. I haven't changed anything in syslinux.

Can you take a picture of the error when you are booting?

3 hours ago, Stokkes said:

Running 6.9.1. The iGPU works as Plex can HW transcode (so can ffmpeg) and the intel_gpu_top command runs fine if I reboot my system with the Ubuntu SSD plugged in (ruling out a bios issue).

I think three users (you included) reported this issue but have no fix so far, also created a issue on their Gitlab but no one responded yet.

Can you post your diagnostics? I think it's some kind of weird combination of HW and SW but I can't tell exactly what it is.

On my Intel i5 10600 with an ASUS Z490-E GAMING it works flawlessly.

9 hours ago, Italiandevil0505 said:

First off, thank you so much for the help. Where can I send you a donation for you work?

Here is all the info:

I am on Unraid 6.9.1. I downloaded the kernel helper app and changed vendor-reset to true, switched everything else to false. I copied everything in the output folder over to the usb drive. I reset and then it boots up but I can't ever get to the webui. SSH still works and I can use a keyboard to issue commands on the server.

Hey!

Do you have the nvidia plugin installed via ca app? I experienced an issue where my server wouldn't boot in that situation, while compiling the kernel with vendor-reset and nvidia support directly integrated works just fine.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, ich777 said:

Can you take a picture of the error when you are booting?

I think three users (you included) reported this issue but have no fix so far, also created a issue on their Gitlab but no one responded yet.

Can you post your diagnostics? I think it's some kind of weird combination of HW and SW but I can't tell exactly what it is.

On my Intel i5 10600 with an ASUS Z490-E GAMING it works flawlessly.

How would I go about getting a diagnostic with no access to web ui? Is there a command I can do over ssh?

2 hours ago, giganode said:

Hey!

Do you have the nvidia plugin installed via ca app? I experienced an issue where my server wouldn't boot in that situation, while compiling the kernel with vendor-reset and nvidia support directly integrated works just fine.

I'll give it a try without the nvidia plugin.

Thanks Peeps

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Italiandevil0505 said:

How would I go about getting a diagnostic with no access to web ui? Is there a command I can do over ssh?

Oh sorry should be a little more specific, is it possible that you connect a monitor to the server and take a picture of what it displays when it's not booting?

2 minutes ago, Italiandevil0505 said:

I'll give it a try without the nvidia plugin.

Oh yes, then it is the Nvidia Plugin.

If you also need the Nvidia Drivers then simply make a build with the Nvidia Drivers and the vendor-reset patch (first uninstall the Nvidia Plugin, you can then install the Unraid-Kernel-Helper Plugin to see the UUID from your GPU).

47 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Oh sorry should be a little more specific, is it possible that you connect a monitor to the server and take a picture of what it displays when it's not booting?

Oh yes, then it is the Nvidia Plugin.

If you also need the Nvidia Drivers then simply make a build with the Nvidia Drivers and the vendor-reset patch (first uninstall the Nvidia Plugin, you can then install the Unraid-Kernel-Helper Plugin to see the UUID from your GPU).

That was it! Thank you guys for all the help. Everything seems to be working.

Just a side note, during the kernel build process the log said "ERROR: Unable to load the 'nvidia-drm' kernel module". Is that supposed to happen?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Italiandevil0505 said:

Just a side note, during the kernel build process the log said "ERROR: Unable to load the 'nvidia-drm' kernel module". Is that supposed to happen?

Yes, because the Kerne-Helper can't load the module inside the container and I don't like to hide errors since this is actually bad for troubleshooting but this is a common thing to happen in the Kernel-Helper.

But if you install the images it should work all or am I wrong?

3 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Yes, because the Kerne-Helper can't load the module inside the container and I don't like to hide errors since this is actually bad for troubleshooting but this is a common thing to happen in the Kernel-Helper.

But if you install the images it should work all or am I wrong?

You are correct, all is working. I sent you a little beer donation as well.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Italiandevil0505 said:

I'm always happy, if a problem can be fixed easily :) 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, TexasDave said:

For upgrades to 6.9.1....if we are running just simple NVIDEA drivers only - do we need to run the docker and rebuild the kernel? That is - each time we upgrade the OS - do we need to run the (very helpful) Nvidea docker tool? Thanks!

No, you actually can download the Nvidia Driver Plugin from the CA App and it will check on boot if there is a newer version of the driver available and also if you are upgraded to a newer Unraid version will download the appropriate driver for the new version, but keep in mind that the startup can take a little longer because it does this on boot and you need a active internet connection on boot.

• ich777 changed the title to [Support] ich777 - AMD Vendor Reset, CoralTPU, hpsahba,...