Pass Two Radarr Containers Through VPN Container

I'm trying to setup two copies of Radarr (then also 2 copies of Medusa) to send traffic via the qBittorrentVPN container. These are all binhex containers. I can get one instance working fine, but when I try pass through a 2nd instance, they both refer to the same container port (which I can't change) therefore I can't configure the containers separately when accessing them via the Web UI. 

Note - this works fine before I pass the traffic through the VPN docker. I've set different appdata directories, different container names and different host ports.

What's the correct way to set this up?

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/25/2020 at 5:22 PM, Nelinski said:

I'm trying to setup two copies of Radarr (then also 2 copies of Medusa) to send traffic via the qBittorrentVPN container. These are all binhex containers. I can get one instance working fine, but when I try pass through a 2nd instance, they both refer to the same container port (which I can't change) therefore I can't configure the containers separately when accessing them via the Web UI. 

Note - this works fine before I pass the traffic through the VPN docker. I've set different appdata directories, different container names and different host ports.

What's the correct way to set this up?

Did you ever get this working? I'm trying to do the same thing with both binhex-radarr and binhex-sonarr, but can't figure out how to change the container ports.

Nope. In the end, I set up two separate torrent VPN containers. I've also moved to rTorrent from qBittorrent as I found the speeds kept dropping randomly but the same applies.

rTorrentVPN

Radarr
container:rTorrentVPN

Medusa
container:rTorrentVPN

rTorrentVPN-4k

Radarr-4k
container:rTorrentVPN-4k

Medusa-4k
container:rTorrentVPN-4k

From what I've read online, to change the container port, you have to login and change the port directly via the Radarr or Medusa etc. So in Radarr/Sonarr:

image.thumb.png.61aa9a4f2db785bb072506f190d8ee90.png

I tried this though and couldn't access the WebUI anymore even though I've added the relevant ports under my rTorrentVPN docker. I decided it wasn't worth the hassle when I can just run one more torrent docker which uses barely any CPU/RAM when idling.

• 8 months later...

Hi, I realise this is an old thread but some of your comments helped me get to a solution for this, so I made an account to post it for anybody else with the same issue

Steps to route 2x the same container through a single VPN container (using sonarr and binhex-qbittorrentvpn as an example):

1. Create your VPN container. Enable privoxy, create 2x port fields (for sonarr, I did 8989:8989 and 8990:8990). If there isn't one already, create an ADDITIONAL_PORTS variable field with the comma-separated list of ports to forward. i.e. '8989,8990' without quotes

2. Create a network named after this container, i.e. container:binhex-qbittorrentvpn. Can do this by commandline with `docker network create container:binhex-qbittorrentvpn` without quotes

3. Download from CA and create first container to route, e.g. sonarr. Set 'network type' to 'container:binhex-qbittorrentvpn' (or equivalent). If it has a port field remove it, and set the /config Path to a separate appdata folder

4. Download another of the same container from CA (Note: don't do what I did and recreate from the original template or you'll have issues with Rebuild-DNDC after due to matching container IDs). Do the same setup again for the second container, call it something different, and set the /config Path to a separate appdata folder from the first one. Enable advanced mode and in the WebUI field, change the port number here to be the second port number (in my case, 8990)
5. Stop the first container, and start the second one (with the non-default port). Navigate to the default port WebUI page (192.168.X.X:8989 in my case, NOT 8990)
6. Change the port in the container settings to be the secondary port you want to use. In sonarr's case, Settings -> General -> Port Number -> 8990. Save and restart the container
7. Now start the first container, and check if you can access them both via their respective ports

Hope this helps someone

Edited by Repoman108
  • Thanks 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2021 at 4:22 PM, Repoman108 said:

Hi, I realise this is an old thread but some of your comments helped me get to a solution for this, so I made an account to post it for anybody else with the same issue

Steps to route 2x the same container through a single VPN container (using sonarr and binhex-qbittorrentvpn as an example):

1. Create your VPN container. Enable privoxy, create 2x port fields (for sonarr, I did 8989:8989 and 8990:8990). If there isn't one already, create an ADDITIONAL_PORTS variable field with the comma-separated list of ports to forward. i.e. '8989,8990' without quotes

2. Create a network named after this container, i.e. container:binhex-qbittorrentvpn. Can do this by commandline with `docker network create container:binhex-qbittorrentvpn` without quotes

3. Download from CA and create first container to route, e.g. sonarr. Set 'network type' to 'container:binhex-qbittorrentvpn' (or equivalent). If it has a port field remove it, and set the /config Path to a separate appdata folder

4. Download another of the same container from CA (Note: don't do what I did and recreate from the original template or you'll have issues with Rebuild-DNDC after due to matching container IDs). Do the same setup again for the second container, call it something different, and set the /config Path to a separate appdata folder from the first one. Enable advanced mode and in the WebUI field, change the port number here to be the second port number (in my case, 8990)
5. Stop the first container, and start the second one (with the non-default port). Navigate to the default port WebUI page (192.168.X.X:8989 in my case, NOT 8990)
6. Change the port in the container settings to be the secondary port you want to use. In sonarr's case, Settings -> General -> Port Number -> 8990. Save and restart the container
7. Now start the first container, and check if you can access them both via their respective ports

Hope this helps someone

Repoman you god damn legend. I've been trying to get this going for a few weeks now and I was so close. Was just missing editing the setting in qbittorrent, for some reason I was overlooking that and too focused on the Radarr4K container. This worked perfectly for me, thanks for taking the time to come post your solution in such detail.