[Solved] Pass-through GPU Stopped working

Need a bit of help here. I have a windows 10 vm that was running perfectly with a 2080rtx passed through along with a pass-through ssd. I hadn't used that vm in a while. A few notable events happened since i last used it. 

- Array Drive failed (fixed)

- Swapped out the rtx 2080 for 1080ti (yes, it's a working video card)

- upgraded unraid (can't remember from which version)

The windows 10 vm will not boot nor output video from the 1080ti. (it does successfully start)

- I have made sure to add the correct vfio-pci.ids in the syslinux config. (for both the card and hdmi audio) I rebooted unraid after these changes. 

- The vm will boot fine with just vnc as the video card

- If i add both VNC and Nvidia cards, it boots fine then hangs and reboots.

- Yes, i'm also making sure to add both the video card and hdmi audio when attempting to boot with just the video card. 

- I know the OS is not booting because i have vnc running in service mode and can never connect to it 

- I am NOT booting unraid in uefi mode

- i ran the following command to unbind and rebooted afterwards, without any luck echo "0000:0a:00.0"  /sys/bus/pci/drivers/vfio-pci/unbind

Attaching my diag in the hopes one of you fine people can help me out here. My guess is that since i swapped video cards some ID changed somewhere or perhaps something is initializing the video before boot. i was also running this fine without using a graphics bios file with the rtx2080

tower-diagnostics-20200525-1833.zip

Edited by Colozeus

With regards to your syslinux config, you don't need to add multiple vfio-pci.ids options, just separate them like this vfio-pci.ids=10de:1b06,10de:10ef 

Try adding video=efifb:off as well. as it prevents unraid from using the EFI framebuffer which you need for OVMF based VMs

If it's the primary card in the system, you'll also need to provide a vBios in the template.

If it is the primary card, the terminal output when booting just freeze at the following line if correctly stubbed

pci 0000:0a:00.0: vgaarb: VGA device added: decodes=io+mem,owns=io+mem,locks=none

Edited by Spies
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Spies said:

With regards to your syslinux config, you don't need to add multiple vfio-pci.ids options, just separate them like this vfio-pci.ids=10de:1b06,10de:10ef 

Try adding video=efifb:off as well. as it prevents unraid from using the EFI framebuffer which you need for OVMF based VMs

If it's the primary card in the system, you'll also need to provide a vBios in the template.

If it is the primary card, the terminal output when booting just freeze at the following line if correctly stubbed

pci 0000:0a:00.0: vgaarb: VGA device added: decodes=io+mem,owns=io+mem,locks=none

ok. after adding video-efifb:off and rebooting, i'm not stuck at bootup on this line, as you predicted:

What now? do i have to take the usb drive out and remove that value using a different pc?

As a follow up, since i had not set a static ip, my ip had actually changed between reboots which is why i thought it was down.

This message: 

Had nothing to do nor was it indicative as to why i thought it was stuck a boot. After passing a vbios to my vm and tweaking a few settings in xml, i was able to get my windows 10 vm loaded again with my 1080ti passthru working. Previously, it didn't require a vbios on my rtx2080.