[Support] SAL-e - phpIPAM

Getting ready to submit my Docker templates for phpIPAM - Open source IP address management.

It is using the two official docker images: phpipam-www and phpipam-cron published by phpipam on DockerHub.

- phpipam-www - provides the WebGUI; and

- phpipam-cron - scans your networks in order to discover network changes.

This app requires external database like MariaDB or MySQL. It has been tested with linuxserver/mariadb

So... I'm very excited to see this Docker get tackled.. however do you have an Installation video which shows step by step on how this installed? I have attempted to install both the Cron & WWW dockers however I'm constantly running into a brick wall. If there were a video, that may be able to solve any issues I'm having.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My apologies for the delayed reply... got a little frustrated and left it alone. However, I really want this setup so I decided to come back to it. So I'm not sure if its MariaDB, phpIPAM-cron, or phpIPAM-www. Please note, I'm a bit new to MariaDB, I have spent some time getting familiar with MariaDB by creating DB's, Users, etc...

Here are the following config for each one of the plug-in's.

image.thumb.png.8464e28ed57720c4c3f9e0fe2b5bc39f.png

When I attempt to setup the PHP IPAM using the WWW GUI.

image.png.a6c8edde07502261fe30b1056bbce8c0.png

The error I get each time when I use the Automatic database installation.
image.png.745a9b773b8354a01b334f330f28d569.png

Plus I'm fairly certain the localhost is listening on 3306...

image.png.35625474d81ebbdcca9a83720e675994.png

At this point, this is the brick wall I've hit.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated ;)!

• 1 month later...

Also was not able to get this working after multiple attempts using phpipam-www and linuxserver/mariadb. Getting the connection refused error when trying to complete the install.

Can you share more information on how you were able to get this setup?

• 6 months later...

Any idea as to why this will not see the mariadb whether on bridged or custom br networks? Has anyone got the PHPIPAM to work in a container?

Edit :

Got it t work: https://github.com/phpipam/phpipam/issues/1549

I added the IP of the IPAMwww container to the permission on the database phpipam on Mariadb as in the above explanation

( mysql> grant ALL on phpipam.* to 'phpipamadmin'@'127.0.0.1' identified by 'adminpass'; Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec) )

I did this i.e not selecting the 3 options and clicked on 2.) Open web, select automatic as usual, but click on advanced and uncheck all three options:

Drop exisitng database - Drop existing database if it exists Create database - Create new database Create permissions - Set permissions to tables

The reply was 'database dropped'. I continued with the new automatic install which completed the install of ipam-www.

Both Mariadb and IPAMwww are custom networks

image.thumb.png.6ced290e03575348c0a8c70709c3c9b9.png

Edited by flamegrilled
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I've been able to apply the change to the database as mentioned in "https://github.com/phpipam/phpipam/issues/1549" but still get the same "Could not connect to database! SQLSTATE[HY000] [2002] Connection refused" issue. I'm using the MariaDB Official container and am able to retrieve the root password from the logs, but am not sure why I am still getting this error. Whether I use the database password I specified or the one from the log, the same error appears. I'm able to open the PHPIPAM web gui and uncheck all 3 options according to the guide "https://knilixun.wordpress.com/phpipam/" But im not sure where I am going wrong.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I've setup databases in MariaDB for Snipe IT, Bookstack, and a few others with success, so I believe its a simple issue I am overlooking.

PHPipam.png

MariaDB.png

• 4 weeks later...

I'm playing around with this container at the moment, and some of my docker routing knowledge has gone rusty, at least I think that's what's going in.

Problem:  Subnet scans are incomplete.

Observations:

1: Most of the Unraid docker containers are running on the default Bridge. 

2: I presumed for network scanning purposes that PHPIPAM would want to be on the second bridge I setup (br0) that uses the Docker network MACVLAN driver to allow IP addressing on the specified subnet (the same subnet Unraid lives on). Am I overcomplicating this unnecessarily?  On a brief test deploying it instead to the host network it seemed like it was resolving docker 172.16.* addresses, not the 'physical' IP subnet of 192.168.1.0/24, which I suppose makes sense.

3: IIRC MACVLAN driven networks are incapable of communication with the docker host network.

4: Something something IPVLAN is better than MACVLAN?

4: The PHPIPAM-cron container requires NET_ADMIN and NET_RAW capabilities granted, in order to perform scans, and that seems to not be set by default (probably for security).

Anyone who has this setup in a relatively straightforward way to scan a straightforward IP subnet, and could point me in the right direction would be helpful.  I'll continue searching and update my findings here if I figure it out myself.

I ended up getting it to work by enabling "Host access to custom networks" in the Docker System Settings, advanced view. Without that it won't allow Dockers to talk to each other, it seems.

In the phpipam docker, it must be set to the br0 Network Type. Then set a Fixed IP address and set IPAM_DATABASE_WEBHOST to the same address. IPAM_DATABASE_HOST should be set to the IP address of MariaDB, mine is the same as the Unraid server IP address.

I ran the new install with using the automatic database creation and it worked without a hitch. MariaDB is set to Network Type - Bridge.

• Thanks 2
On 5/3/2022 at 9:01 AM, Ron Lucania said:

I ended up getting it to work by enabling "Host access to custom networks" in the Docker System Settings, advanced view. Without that it won't allow Dockers to talk to each other, it seems.

In the phpipam docker, it must be set to the br0 Network Type. Then set a Fixed IP address and set IPAM_DATABASE_WEBHOST to the same address. IPAM_DATABASE_HOST should be set to the IP address of MariaDB, mine is the same as the Unraid server IP address.

I ran the new install with using the automatic database creation and it worked without a hitch. MariaDB is set to Network Type - Bridge.

Ron, 

How do I enable "Host access to customer networks'? There doesn't appear to be a selector for this option. 

If anyone else may know how to change that, that would be great to know. 

Thanks!

Ron and everyone else that worked on this, thank you all so much! 

In the end, I still had some issues with MariaDb being dumb and not wanting to play well. I decided to just install the MySql Docker and went that route and using that instead, I felt this worked out much better than MariaDb.

Once the Mysql docker was installed, the rest was easy and is now working or at least it appears that way. I'm finally able to use PHPIPAM! Thanks again everyone! 

@Ron Lucania YOU ARE THE MAN! GREATLY APPRECIATED!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi - I just tried this docker and noticed there is no mapping of the config file folder to appdata?

I tried adding a

/phpipam/ 

path mapping to

/mnt/user/appdata/phpipam/www/ and

/mnt/user/appdata/phpipam/cron/ respectively but it didn't work.

So how are persistant storage for these dockers handled?

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have only one problem with this docker, it's network discovery.

The cron does not discover anything. The network check does not work.

To have a discovery I have to select the network in the phpipam interface and at this moment the scan is carried out and functional with my network in red and black according to the use. Can you provide information on how this cron works because I see 2 variables on Git that are absolutely not documented or it says that it is mandatory for ping and snmp.

THANKS

• 6 months later...