UPS for UNRAID

Aussie

I´m looking for an UPS but I´m not sure which one I should get.
We have power outages like maybe 3 times a year that usually last 5 to 15 minutes.
In the last 10 years or so, there was one that lasted for about an hour.
The server doesn´t need to run the entire time, it just needs to power done savely.
If it could run through the power out, that would be even better, but not really necessary.
However, I want something that´s good/ big enough for some additional drives, etc. and not just fine for the moment.
I ´ve been looking at 6 APC units, but I don´t know which is the right fit for me and what is total overkill.

88,90 € - APC Back-UPS 700 (BX700U-GR)
112,90 € - APC Back-UPS 950 (BX950U-GR)
159,90 € - APC Back-UPS 1400 (BX1400U-GR)
237,90 € - APC Back-UPS Pro 900 (BR900G-GR)
364,00 € - APC Back-UPS Pro 1200 (BR1200G-GR)
369,00 € - APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 (BR1500G-GR)

My UnRaid Server (not build yet):
Mainbord: MSI Z170A Gaming M3
CPU: i7-6700K
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
RAM: Corsair 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000 (not ECC, runs at 2133 MHz)
PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 650w
Storage: 3 x Seagate 16 TB
Parity: 2 x Seagate 16 TB
Case: Fractal Define 7 XL
Fans:
4 x 120 mm - Noctua NF-F12, front intake
3 x 140 mm - Fractal Dynamic X2 GP-14, top exhaust
1 x 140 mm - be quiet! Silent Wings 3, rear exhaust

• 2 weeks later...

To properly size a UPS, you need 2 pieces of data. Power draw, and desired runtime.

You haven't provided either.

To find power draw, you need to somehow measure the actual usage during a parity check, using something like a kill-a-watt. Be sure to include all the equipment needed to support the server, many people also plug their modem / router / switch into the same UPS.

To find desired runtime, you need to time how long it takes for your server to shut down from a typical state with all services and VM's running, then roughly double that time, so as to be sure the server can shut down before the UPS gets below 50% power remaining.

Once you know draw and runtime, it's simply a matter of looking at the data sheets for the UPS models in question to find the one that will provide the time you need at the power output.

I recently added a CyberPower VALUE600EI. (https://www.umart.com.au/CyberPower-VALUE600EI-Value-SOHO-600VA---360W-Simulated-Sine-Wave-UPS_33214G.html) to my Unraid for the purpose of a controlled/safe shutdown in the case of a power outage.

It is not designed to support continued usage of the server. It is there to shut down the array to avoid the need for parity checking.

I was able to use the native UPS system tool in Unraid.

FSStv.png

The Unraid dashboard gets a tile that looks like this FSSsV.png

And this is supporting 

FSSyW.png

FSSA8.png

So as per the previous poster, you need to work out your power draw (UPS Load) so that you can calculate how long a battery will run for before being depleted. This is not a solution for uninterrupted usage during an outage; just a solution for a safe shutdown.

• 3 weeks later...