Power Supply Advice

jsN

After having some issues with Unraid giving errors on my healthy disks and changing SAS and power cables, my next step to attempt to resolve this problem is my power supply.

Needing some advice for new power supply just in case my current one doesn't have enough juice when all disks are at full load and causing my errors. My current power supply is Corsair VS550 with specs attached in image.

Server Specs:

Intel DH61BE Motherboard

Intel i5-3470T

12GB DDR3

Dell H200 HBA

8 x HP MB3000FCWDH (3TB 6G SAS 7.2K 3.5in DP MDL SC HDD) - Future upgrade to 15x

2 x 120mm Fans

3 x 80mm Fans (inc CPU cooler)

Should the current spec power supply be enough for my needs or should I be looking for something with more amps on the 5/12v?

IMG_20200527_102326.jpg

IMG_20200527_110044.jpg

Edited by jsN
disk image

Unless the supply is faulty, that really should be fine.  My main server has 12 drives, and runs very happily on a 520W supply (see my sig below).  When very busy with the CPU fully loaded it draws about 150 - 200W from the mains supply.  I have never seen over 300W even when all the drives spin up at once.  

4 hours ago, S80_UK said:

Unless the supply is faulty, that really should be fine.  My main server has 12 drives, and runs very happily on a 520W supply (see my sig below).  When very busy with the CPU fully loaded it draws about 150 - 200W from the mains supply.  I have never seen over 300W even when all the drives spin up at once.  

That's my problem as I'm not 100% sure but as much as I was hoping not to spend a fortune it's looking like my next option :(

Never tested the watt usage of mine but I always thought I'd be 300+ but guess it'll be a lot less considering your results. Guess I don't need to fork out on 600+ watt PSU :)

1 hour ago, Michael_P said:

How many drives are hanging off of a single run back to the power supply?

Currently a have two runs from the power supply in use, each supporting 4 disks.

My whole rack only draws about 300 watts - but you should try a different power supply, it should have more than enough to run 8 drives and what you're describing could be explained by voltage sag.

Also, I wouldn't hang too much more off a line than what you currently are (stay away from crap molded splitters, too. they'll burn your house down. get the punch down type)