Deploying an Unraid NFS Server

I'm using a LibreELEC VM and had issues with the Watchdog addon over SMB. Changing to NFS solved it, and while it might be placebo it also feels more responsive now. Looking forward to the nest article as I'm still using SMB to access shares from my laptop even though I'm running linux.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, T0rqueWr3nch said:

That's something I'd be interested in hearing more about. So are you using unRAID to install your Steam games?

I run Endeavour OS as a VM on top of unRAID. Currently I'm mounting an unRAID nfs share with the correct permissions so that ownership of the folders steam creates goes to my local user on Endeavour OS. ( Endeavour OS is an Arch based distro )

I posted about it here:

Edited by dodgypast
  • Like 1
On 5/30/2020 at 2:05 AM, dodgypast said:

I tried VirtFS/9P first as it seemed simpler, but the performance was unbelievably awful.

This ^^^, and the need for granular permissions is why I use NFS over Virt and SMB.

I can't wait for the follow-up blog post where the discussion turns to the 'stale file handle' issue seen on some VMs. For my most active VM it seems to go in cycles. It will run without issue for weeks and then sporadically it will have a day where it happens repeatedly. So far I haven't been able to pin down what is happening differently on those days.

• Like 1
On 6/5/2020 at 2:20 PM, draeh said:

This ^^^, and the need for granular permissions is why I use NFS over Virt and SMB.

I can't wait for the follow-up blog post where the discussion turns to the 'stale file handle' issue seen on some VMs. For my most active VM it seems to go in cycles. It will run without issue for weeks and then sporadically it will have a day where it happens repeatedly. So far I haven't been able to pin down what is happening differently on those days.

I get stale file handles just about daily. It's a bit of a pain but not the end of the world for my usage. 

I use it as a development server so I just reboot or remount at the start of each day to keep it fresh. 

I've tried a handful of things but nothing has helped.

• 2 weeks later...

"In the next article, I will show you some best practices for mounting an NFS share on Ubuntu (including how to avoid the dreaded NFS "stale file handle" error and how to have your NFS client fix itself should it occur). Stay tuned!"

Been almost a month (next week), sure would be nice to get that 'next article'.... please.

Edited by draeh
  • Like 2